Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Commodities rose against a low dollar

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Commodities rose against a low dollar

Unread postby barbara23 » Tue 11 Nov 2008, 17:06:15

Hello, traders! Barbie quickly reporting on our favorite commodities.

Oil prices rose slightly on Monday. US crude oil futures rallied more than $3 to above $64 a barrel.
Gold also rose as dollar fell against the yen, giving investors the opportunity to use gold as a hedge. Spot gold stood at $749.50 per ounce .

Cheers! 8)

{link removed by Shannymara per CoC 3.1.7}
barbara23
Wood
Wood

Re: Commodities rose against a low dollar

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 11 Nov 2008, 17:12:52

Uhhh thanks, I guess, but that is kind of old news already.

Crude down $3.52 today.
Gold down $12.70.
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ColossalContrarian » Tue 11 Nov 2008, 17:13:54

Thanks for the update barbie here's the latest:

Oil 58.82 -3.59 -5.75
Gold 732.90 -13.60 -1.82

EDIT: I forgot... Cheers! :lol:
ColossalContrarian
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby patience » Tue 11 Nov 2008, 17:24:37

Dollar Index is over 87 now, and the credit mess unwinds. If I got it right from the gurus, these trends go on until the credit bubble is deflated, then it all falls in a heap.

Evidence of the upcoming endgame is the US having some trouble with the bond yield curve:

Barron's--US borrowing hitting it's limits

Not a nice prospect, them saying something like next year's deficit being too big to be financed by US and foreign buyers of T's, so all that is left is the Fed: "...MONETIZATION."

Endgame.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby gnm » Tue 11 Nov 2008, 17:29:43

Endgame as in deflation until spring and then WHAMMO, hyper-inflation perhaps?

-G
gnm

Unread postby eastbay » Tue 11 Nov 2008, 17:49:55

gnm wrote:Endgame as in deflation until spring and then WHAMMO, hyper-inflation perhaps?

-G

That's what I'm hearing. But not exactly 'deflation' until Spring... more like weak inflation ... and then ... ignition ... then blast off.

The debt payments will be paid in a timely fashion. Heh. 8O
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby patience » Tue 11 Nov 2008, 17:53:43

gnm,

That's what it looks like. Timing? Who knows? Roubini said the Hedgies pulling out money could tank the markets, and Cid Yama said he thought the "run" on Hedge Funds is the trigger event. Then, it's a matter of how long it takes for the tsunami to reach Treasury Bond Yields (starting up on the long end now), to the point that the US can't float enough loans to finance the Govt budget. Then, the Fed steps in and buys the Treasuries, and prints money to give to Uncle Sam. Dollar get to be worth less until it is worthless. Oil price (in dollars) goes parabolic, US economy goes to zero.

Let's hope NOT, but that's what I've been able to digest from all the money experts here and other places. Nobody can pin down a timeframe exactly, but a lot of people are talking about bond yields TODAY. We will dump our Treasury securities this week. Not much, but all we have. It's my belief that when US Treasuries curve goes nutzoid, the dollar is soon to follow it down the bowl.

Which would be the time to exit EVERYTHING PAPER, and go to hard commodities, right? Beans, bullets, beer, etc.

SOMEBODY, PLEASE, SHOW ME THAT I'M WRONG!!!
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby evilgenius » Tue 11 Nov 2008, 19:29:53

Uh, if nothing else is holding up all of the investors that can tend to head for US Treasuries. While you are waiting for the flip into hyper-inflation you are going to miss the swindle that sucks in all of those off-shore dollars so that they can get devalued in the great American sub-prime blender. As usual the US is ahead of the rest of the world in its economic adjustments and so is poised to take on all comers. Maybe the battle is being fought on the rim of the bowl, but I wouldn't be so certain it is the US that is going to fall in, not first anyway.
When it comes down to it, the people will always shout, "Free Barabbas." They love Barabbas. He's one of them. He has the same dreams. He does what they wish they could do. That other guy is more removed, more inscrutable. He makes them think. "Crucify him."
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby patience » Tue 11 Nov 2008, 19:44:08

evilgenius,

You're probably right, and I'm probably early. Oh, well. I guess I'd rather be early than late? It takes a while to do the prep shopping anyhow.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Return to Economics & Finance