Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Really Scary Fed Charts: NOV, US Bankrupt?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Really Scary Fed Charts: NOV, US Bankrupt?

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 00:05:53

Really Scary Fed Charts: NOV, US Bankrupt?: Ben Bittrolff

Ok, somebody smarter than me have a look at that and tell me what it means.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Really Scary Fed Charts: NOV, US Bankrupt?

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 00:12:39

The borrowed reserves/non-borrowed reserves thing is mostly semantics. The fed has been lending out lots of cash and lots of T-Bills and taking mortgage backed securities as collateral. Every time they do that, they are taking "non-borrowed reserves" and converting them to "borrowed reserves". That's what's seen in the dramatic fall of non-borrowed reserves with the accompanying rise in borrowed reserves. It's just an accounting shell game. In the end, the bank has to repay the fed loan and take it's mortgage backed security back, so in the end the financial status of the bank isn't any different.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 00:19:16

Where do you see this going, Smallpox girl? Like Japan's "Lost Decade"?

If that's what we're looking at, not so bad news.. wasn't the end of the world for Japan, after all.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby lowem » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 00:27:11

I don't think I can explain it well enough, but Japan's situation was different from America's current situation.

It's the difference between being a nation of savers versus a nation of spenders, being creditors vs debtors, having a strong manufacturing edge vs having shipped most of your manufacturing overseas.

The results would probably be a little bit different ...
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 00:27:32

I think this is the beginnings of an economy based on perpetual growth and fossil fuel energy running headlong into geological energy constraints. Basically I see an undulatory downward path for the rest of my life. From here out, I think any rallies in our economic condition are going to be met with spiking commodity prices that knock us right back down.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby the48thronin » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 02:09:49

smallpoxgirl wrote:I think this is the beginnings of an economy based on perpetual growth and fossil fuel energy running headlong into geological energy constraints. Basically I see an undulatory downward path for the rest of my life. From here out, I think any rallies in our economic condition are going to be met with spiking commodity prices that knock us right back down.

You left out the part about the global economy not being able to function at some low point and no recovery... very few undulations before a slide over the cliff into localism...
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby americandream » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 03:35:06

smallpoxgirl wrote:I think this is the beginnings of an economy based on perpetual growth and fossil fuel energy running headlong into geological energy constraints. Basically I see an undulatory downward path for the rest of my life. From here out, I think any rallies in our economic condition are going to be met with spiking commodity prices that knock us right back down.

Well explained and succinct. We are on the final run into collapse...with false retracements along the way.
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Minvaren » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 10:17:43

Minvaren
Peat
Peat

Unread postby mattduke » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 10:52:31

smallpoxgirl wrote:The borrowed reserves/non-borrowed reserves thing is mostly semantics. The fed has been lending out lots of cash and lots of T-Bills and taking mortgage backed securities as collateral. Every time they do that, they are taking "non-borrowed reserves" and converting them to "borrowed reserves". That's what's seen in the dramatic fall of non-borrowed reserves with the accompanying rise in borrowed reserves. It's just an accounting shell game. In the end, the bank has to repay the fed loan and take it's mortgage backed security back, so in the end the financial status of the bank isn't any different.

All the money ever created by the Fed is "loaned" out and "must be payed back". And yet our money supply grows continuously because the Fed loans ever increasing quantities. "If" these "loans" are "payed back", we will see it in the money supply figures. I would not hold your breath waiting for a contraction.
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby frankthetank » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 11:03:36

SPG-

You hit it right on the head...
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby eastbay » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 11:17:34

americandream wrote:

Well explained and succinct. We are on the final run into collapse...with false retracements along the way.

Wow, this explanation is so clear! I strongly suspect this undulating process will be accompanied by increased state ownership of major sections of the economy.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Armageddon » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 16:29:04

Whenever SPG speaks, she gets my full attention. One smart cookie.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Zardoz » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 16:50:39

smallpoxgirl wrote:...I see an undulatory downward path for the rest of my life. From here out, I think any rallies in our economic condition are going to be met with spiking commodity prices that knock us right back down.

It can't go any other way. Today, right now, we're watching a true Golden Age come to an end.

I've lived my entire (fairly long) life right in the middle of it. I, and others like me, have been members of the luckiest demographic group in the history of the human race. There will never be anything remotely like these times again.
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby patience » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 17:29:44

Amen to that, Armageddon.

I posted in the "When US defaults" thread that the US is about to hit the wall with financing Treasuries: Liquidity Trap--Tickerforum If the Fed can't get anyone to borrow from the TAF, the whole works is locked up pretty tight.

I guess if/when the US can't sell Treasury bills/bonds/notes, then we are officially bankrupt? Because we are borrowing to pay INTEREST on the National Debt, so..... OMG. Hope we can get out of my wife's Treasury investments in time!

edit: clarity.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby Armageddon » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 19:22:48

My father in law has somewhere between 75-100 mill in some sort of government backed bonds or t-bills or something. I always wonder how safe it is. He has been out of stocks for a few years. I don't ask him about it, but I get info from my mother in law. She said it's in the safest place possible. But, I guess if/when the US goes, it goes too.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby emeraldg40 » Thu 13 Nov 2008, 18:25:15

Zardoz wrote:
smallpoxgirl wrote:...I see an undulatory downward path for the rest of my life. From here out, I think any rallies in our economic condition are going to be met with spiking commodity prices that knock us right back down.

It can't go any other way. Today, right now, we're watching a true Golden Age come to an end.

I've lived my entire (fairly long) life right in the middle of it. I, and others like me, have been members of the luckiest demographic group in the history of the human race. There will never be anything remotely like these times again.

I would agree, but we did come back from the dirty 30's no?
emeraldg40
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby lowem » Mon 17 Nov 2008, 11:49:48

emeraldg40 wrote:I would agree, but we did come back from the dirty 30's no?

Though the whole war did have to go to war in the 40's to get out of the 30's, but yes.
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Return to Economics & Finance