Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Weee! 139 billion for GE

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Weee! 139 billion for GE

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 12 Nov 2008, 18:44:16

Nov. 12 (Bloomberg) -- General Electric Co. said the U.S. government agreed to insure as much as $139 billion in debt for lending arm GE Capital Corp., the second time in a month it has turned to a federal program designed to help companies during a global credit crunch.

Granting GE Capital, which isn't a bank, access to a new Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. program may reassure investors and help the unit compete with banks that already have government protection behind their debt, said Russell Wilkerson, a spokesman for the Fairfield, Connecticut-based company. Coverage would be for about $139 billion, or 125 percent of total senior unsecured debt outstanding as of Sept. 30 and maturing by June 30.

``Inclusion in this program will allow us to source our debt competitively with other participating financial institutions,'' Wilkerson said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... =worldwide

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. but I always thought FDIC was insurance for bank depositors. Banks pay insurance premiums for this insurance.

GE has never paid a nickel into the FDIC insurance program. I think FDIC only has 50 billion in the fund.. so wala, FDIC is just gonna insure 139 billion of GE debt? Just like that?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Weee! 139 billion for GE

Unread postby Kristen » Thu 13 Nov 2008, 00:19:34

They're going to start kidnapping those in debt and selling their organs on the black market
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Aaron » Thu 13 Nov 2008, 10:05:32

The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby efarmer » Thu 13 Nov 2008, 11:41:56

I just saw the GEICO lizard and he was all blinged out
and had a gorgeous chameleon hanging all over him.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Economics & Finance