Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak oil looks a bit silly now

What's on your mind?
General interest discussions, not necessarily related to depletion.

Re: Peak oil looks a bit silly now

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 26 Feb 2018, 21:48:33

seahorse wrote:It only looks silly to those that don't understand peak oil.

Indeed. Like peak oilers.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 04 Aug 2022, 16:01:02

Here's a new report with very interesting new look at where world oil production is right and how close we are to peak oil.

the-status-of-global-oil-production

According to this new model, peak oil is happening.........right now.

Perhaps this is why oil prices have doubled in the last year.

Perhaps this why Joe Biden just went to KSA to beg them to produce more oil

Perhaps this is why OPEC+ said it has very limited capacity to increase oil production.

Perhaps this is why Saudi said their oil production will peak in a few more years.

Perhaps the horrible, much anticipated, much feared, much ballyhooed, much warned, and much anticipated day of peak oil is near!!!!!!

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 04 Aug 2022, 16:53:53

I think that KSA admits it can't just turn a couple of valves and bring on another million barrels a day says a lot. Where is the world going to turn to to meet increasing demand? certainly not the USA under Biden. Then there is Iraq, and Libya or Russia. I don't see a good choice there.
So while there is probably plenty of oil in the ground for another twenty years or so of consumption actually getting it out of the ground and into your gas tank is a lot less certain.
Can we get oil out of the ground of a country that has been nuked into submission?
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Thu 04 Aug 2022, 20:35:14

vtsnowedin wrote:I think that KSA admits it can't just turn a couple of valves and bring on another million barrels a day says a lot. Where is the world going to turn to to meet increasing demand? certainly not the USA under Biden. Then there is Iraq, and Libya or Russia. I don't see a good choice there.
So while there is probably plenty of oil in the ground for another twenty years or so of consumption actually getting it out of the ground and into your gas tank is a lot less certain.
Can we get oil out of the ground of a country that has been nuked into submission?

I believe the number one reason why oil companies are not focused on trying to increase production is that they are under pressure from share holders to provide a good return on the oil reserves they already have instead of investing their profits and taking on more debt to try to develop new production. Indeed, an article published this week in the Financial Post in Canada talked about how Canadian companies like Cenovus are focused on doing share buybacks to boost the stock price and paying dividends to shareholders instead of investing to increase production.
"new housing construction" is spelled h-a-b-i-t-a-t d-e-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-o-n.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby C8 » Thu 04 Aug 2022, 21:12:37

yellowcanoe wrote:
I believe the number one reason why oil companies are not focused on trying to increase production is that they are under pressure from share holders to provide a good return on the oil reserves they already have instead of investing their profits and taking on more debt to try to develop new production. .

This could be true. If oil companies sense that leaders want less oil due to global warming concerns then why bother exploring? The focus becomes profits until the prices go so high that govt. begs for exploration and gives subsidies.

I do think that the US will see another new high in production as Manchin's deal turns exploration leases into law. This might be offset by decreases on NOC output or it might lead to a new world high. But I do think the 2020's are the decade when Peak Oil will happen- there is too much strain in the system.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 05 Aug 2022, 18:50:23

If Manchin and Cinima were wise they would insist on the legislation approving the drilling and pipelines be passed and signed into law before they vote yes on this misnamed inflation bill.
Berni and the squad are not screaming their heads off which means they have a way to keep the drilling and pipelines from actually happening.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 05 Aug 2022, 18:57:14

Big established oil companies look five and ten years out about potential profits, and right now they can see that waiting two years is likely to get them a more favorable regulatory administration and increased profitability. So you get why invest in today what can be put off until 2025 and in the mean time our stockholders can do quite well based on short supply.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 05 Aug 2022, 19:36:01

Plantagenet wrote:Here's a new report with very interesting new look at where world oil production is right and how close we are to peak oil.

the-status-of-global-oil-production

According to this new model, peak oil is happening.........right now.

WOO HOO!!!!!!

LUCKY NUMBER 7 PEAK OIL THIS CENTURY IS IN THE BOOKS!!!!

Anyone want to lay odds on #8?
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 05 Aug 2022, 19:53:56

vtsnowedin wrote:If Manchin and Cinima were wise they would insist on the legislation approving the drilling and pipelines be passed and signed into law before they vote yes on this misnamed inflation bill. Bernie and the squad are not screaming their heads off which means they have a way to keep the drilling and pipelines from actually happening.

Actually, Bernie did do a little screaming.

Bernie, overcome with a fit of honesty, loudly complained that the "inflation reduction act" isn't actually going to reduce inflation.

Of course not.....clearly Biden and the Ds are out to CREATE inflation......thats why they keep passing these spending bills to cause inflation.

AND this bill won't help at all against climate change either.

And Sinema made sure that billionaires in private equity firms keep all their tax breaks....----so now the Ds are passing legislation to build in special tax breaks for billionaires!!!!

This whole thing is a travesty of hypocrisy by the Ds.

Soooo-prise Sooooo-prise the Ds anti-inflation climate change bill doesn't do anything about inflation or climate change.....but it does guarantee tax breaks for private equity billionaires!

But what does that matter.....

In the end Bernie is just as much a phony as the rest of the "progressives" and I have no doubt that he'll vote for this phony bill just like the rest of the Ds.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 05 Aug 2022, 20:42:53

Well you have this stupid mislabeled bill vs. The Roe Vs. Wade decision. The question is which way the independent voters that decide most elections will break between these issues.
I was confidant the GOP was going to enjoy a sweep come November but now with Trump candidates winning primaries and the Roe vs. Wade decision turning Kansas I think it is now much in doubt.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 06 Aug 2022, 00:25:14

vtsnowedin wrote: I was confidant the GOP was going to enjoy a sweep come November but now with Trump candidates winning primaries and the Roe vs. Wade decision turning Kansas I think it is now much in doubt.

I'm counting on the Biden effect to work its magic on the election.

Biden screws up every single thing he tries to do......The most recent example is that two weeks ago Biden was boasting about how well he was doing with covid, and now he's got long covid and covid brain....He's been infected for three weeks and he's still testing positive and he's still a one-man super spreader.

And then look at what happened when Pelosi went to Taiwan.....another giant FUBAR. And Biden's response? He timidly cancelled a scheduled US missile test so as not to offend his lords and masters in China while the Chinese continue to rampage around Taiwan. The chinese are running military live-fire tests in the air above Taiwan and at sea on all sides of Taiwan. The Chinese are effectively blockading the island of Taiwan and cutting it off from world......and Biden is too cowardly to even say a word.

Its amazing to see another diplomatic catastrophe unfolding on Biden's watch-----this time in Taiwan. Once again the Biden effect is in action......

the Biden effect in action......

I'm very curious to see what Biden screws up next....

CHEERS!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 06 Aug 2022, 14:56:15

vtsnowedin wrote:Well you have this stupid mislabeled bill vs. The Roe Vs. Wade decision. The question is which way the independent voters that decide most elections will break between these issues.

Thank goodness it is in their hands at the national level rather than the hyper-partisan tribal members of the go communist or go home party versus the if treason to the country is for a worthy cause like white nationalism then it isn't treason party.

vtsnowedin wrote: I was confidant the GOP was going to enjoy a sweep come November but now with Trump candidates winning primaries and the Roe vs. Wade decision turning Kansas I think it is now much in doubt.

Well, maybe less likely. It depends on how well the "go communist" party can point out the fallings of the "white nationalism rocks!" party. Lest we forget, we are talking about the same halfwits who gave the 2016 election to Trump by shafting Bernie ( VT's home state hero!!) to allow "she who is owed" what they thought would be a walk on against a draft dodging, semi-literate misogynist, tax dodging sexual predator that should have been neutered for fear of continued pollution in the gene pool.

Turns out, this all said more about America than it does she who was owed or the blowhard. But she was married to a draft dodger, and Trump was one, so maybe there was some destiny in there?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 06 Aug 2022, 16:48:38

Both parties have plenty of room for improvement.
This week the GOP got a wake up call on Roe. vs. Wade that has shaken them to the core. I expect the leaders to send the word to stop promoting any anti abortion laws that take effect before fifteen weeks or fail to have exceptions for rape and incest. Also any laws restricting access to contraception are forbidden (never should have been thought of to begin with.)
The extreme pro-lifers need to be told to shut up before they cost the GOP yet another election. I hope they get that message across along with dumping Trump and all his idiot supporters.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby C8 » Sun 07 Aug 2022, 18:36:31

vtsnowedin wrote:Both parties have plenty of room for improvement.
This week the GOP got a wake up call on Roe. vs. Wade that has shaken them to the core. I expect the leaders to send the word to stop promoting any anti abortion laws that take effect before fifteen weeks or fail to have exceptions for rape and incest. Also any laws restricting access to contraception are forbidden (never should have been thought of to begin with.)
The extreme pro-lifers need to be told to shut up before they cost the GOP yet another election. I hope they get that message across along with dumping Trump and all his idiot supporters.

Dobbs has given the Dems new life for sure- the religious right is whistling past the graveyard on this one. Republican office holders had their cake and ate it too with Roe- now they have to deliver on an unpopular promise. My guess is that they will start letting referendums make Roe part of state Constitutions so they can get back to the status quo: "well, you know my fellow Christians, I would like to help you here but...y'know.... the people have spoken...ahem...now lets talk about school choice!"
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 07 Aug 2022, 22:23:44

The unfortunate thing, IMHO, is that the Ds are claiming the SCOTUS Dobbs decision is "against" abortion when in actuality it is neutral on abortion..... the Dobbs decision was based on the fact that there is no mention of the right to abortion in the constitution, so the original Roe decision claiming there is a "constitutional right" to abortion when no such right was enumerated in the US Constitution was fundamentally flawed and deeply dishonest.

Right now the states and/or the federal government are free to pass any sort of laws they want on abortion. If the people want to legalize abortion at the state level they can do so....if the Congress wants to legalize abortion at the federal level it can do so.

Personally, I support legislation to make abortion legal at both the state and federal level.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Sun 07 Aug 2022, 23:24:20

Plantagenet wrote:The unfortunate thing, IMHO, is that the Ds are claiming the SCOTUS Dobbs decision is "against" abortion when in actuality it is neutral on abortion..... the Dobbs decision was based on the fact that there is no mention of the right to abortion in the constitution, so the original Roe decision claiming there is a "constitutional right" to abortion when no such right was enumerated in the US Constitution was fundamentally flawed and deeply dishonest.

Right now the states and/or the federal government are free to pass any sort of laws they want on abortion. If the people want to legalize abortion at the state level they can do so....if the Congress wants to legalize abortion at the federal level it can do so.

Personally, I support legislation to make abortion legal at both the state and federal level.

Cheers!

And I agree 100% with Plantagenet on this issue.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Doly » Mon 08 Aug 2022, 15:45:13

Republican office holders had their cake and ate it too with Roe- now they have to deliver on an unpopular promise.

Since when that has been a problem for Republicans? They've been campaigning on highly unpopular things forever, and that never stopped them getting voted, because, you know, you don't have to fool everyone all the time to win, you only have to fool just enough people for just that precise moment in time when they are going to vote. And you know, they got synchronicity down to the finest art. It helps a lot that elections are unmoveable in the States, I'm sure.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 08 Aug 2022, 16:37:05

Doly wrote: Republicans? They've been campaigning on highly unpopular things forever, and that never stopped them getting voted, because, you know, you don't have to fool everyone all the time to win, you only have to fool just enough people for just that precise moment in time when they are going to vote. .

The Ds have the tougher job fooling people this time around.

They have to convince the electorate that they actually like getting poorer due to the inflation that D policies have produced.......and then they have to convince people that Biden isn't incompetent and isn't in cognitive decline.

Good luck with that!

Is Joe Biden ok? really???

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby 2cher » Thu 18 May 2023, 19:00:24

Plantagenet --- keep drinking your republican kool-aid
2cher
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 18 May 2023, 23:00:34

2cher wrote:Plantagenet --- keep drinking your republican kool-aid

2cher......you are barking up the wrong tree.

2cher......you are barking up the wrong tree. :lol:

I'm backing Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

And since you are barking up the wrong tree you probably also don't know that Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is a D... 8)

And here's something else you apparently don't know....Robert F. Kennedy is running in the D primaries against Joe Biden and he's already up to 20% support in the polls. :)

Do you get it now?

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic Discussion