Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

E*Trade Baby: Mommy, bail me out!

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

E*Trade Baby: Mommy, bail me out!

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 19:43:17

Battered E*Trade banking on government funds
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The troubles at E*Trade Financial Corp (ETFC.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) have worsened and now hinge on whether it can secure U.S. government funds that would bring some relief to its book of bad mortgage loans.

Shares of the discount brokerage tumbled below $1 to its lowest price ever this week, indicating that investors think chances are slim it will secure the $800 million it applied for under the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) rescue program.

Roger Freeman, a Barclays Capital analyst attending a business update hosted by Schwab this week, said E*Trade's existence "depends on whether it gets the TARP."

Overall, discount brokers are enjoying a spike in trading revenues, but they face the worst-case prospect of a lengthy bear market during which individual investors could exit in droves.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/id ... NM20081121
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: E*Trade Baby: Mommy, bail me out!

Unread postby Leanan » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 19:53:29

Oh, please, let it fail.

That baby really creeps me out.
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Re: E*Trade Baby: Mommy, bail me out!

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 19:56:34

E*trade is in the business of pushing money around. They don't actually produce anything, so I'm sure they'll qualify for the TARP no sweat.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to Economics & Finance