Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Who are these guys?

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Who are these guys?

Unread postby Commanding_Heights » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 20:52:26

I just ran across this site http://mises.org/ and they claim to be an economic think tank located in Auburn Alabama. Yet their name is "Ludwig von Mises Institute" and their motto is "Advancing the scholarship of liberty in the tradition of the Austrian school". Maybe I'm late to the game but I've never heard of them.

Anyone know anything about them? Who they are? Are they liberal, right wing, on the level or nutjobs? Just curious before I start to pour through all their material.
Commanding_Heights
Peat
Peat

Re: Who are these guys?

Unread postby Jotapay » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 21:01:51

Just start researching "Austrian School of Economics". You will find your answers.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Carlhole » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 00:36:01

Commanding_Heights wrote:I just ran across this site http://mises.org/ and they claim to be an economic think tank located in Auburn Alabama. Yet their name is "Ludwig von Mises Institute" and their motto is "Advancing the scholarship of liberty in the tradition of the Austrian school". Maybe I'm late to the game but I've never heard of them.

Anyone know anything about them? Who they are? Are they liberal, right wing, on the level or nutjobs? Just curious before I start to pour through all their material.

It's like asking, "Has anyone ever heard of The French Revolution?".

Ask Ron Paul if he's ever heard of Mises. The Austrian School of Economics forms the basis of Libertarianism.
Carlhole

Unread postby essex » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 01:49:59

Google Peter Schiff
essex
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 02:05:05

Carlhole wrote:
Commanding_Heights wrote:I just ran across this site http://mises.org/ and they claim to be an economic think tank located in Auburn Alabama. Yet their name is "Ludwig von Mises Institute" and their motto is "Advancing the scholarship of liberty in the tradition of the Austrian school". Maybe I'm late to the game but I've never heard of them.

It's like asking, "Has anyone ever heard of The French Revolution?".

Ask Ron Paul if he's ever heard of Mises. The Austrian School of Economics forms the basis of Libertarianism.

I'm with Carlhole on this one.

The Mises Institute is one of the most well known economic policy think tanks in the United States.

It's not on par with Cato or the American Enterprise Institute. But it's up there.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Quinny » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 02:21:10

Options 2 and 4.

Right wing nut jobs!
Live, Love, Learn, Leave Legacy.....oh and have a Laugh while you're doing it!
Quinny
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 03:59:22

Full name Ludwig Heinrich Edler von Mises
Birth September 29, 1881
Lvov now Lviv, Austria-Hungary
Death October 10, 1973 (aged 92)
New York City, New York, USA
School/tradition Austrian School
Main interests economics, political economy, philosophy of history, epistemology, rationalism, classical liberalism, Libertarianism
Notable ideas praxeology, economic calculation problem, methodological dualism
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Return to North America Discussion