Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is US electricity consumption declining?

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Is US electricity consumption declining?

Unread postby copious.abundance » Fri 21 Nov 2008, 21:35:46

--> WSJ <--
NOVEMBER 21, 2008
Surprise Drop in Power Use Delivers Jolt to Utilities

An unexpected drop in U.S. electricity consumption has utility companies worried that the trend isn't a byproduct of the economic downturn, and could reflect a permanent shift in consumption that will require sweeping change in their industry.

Numbers are trickling in from several large utilities that show shrinking power use by households and businesses in pockets across the country. Utilities have long counted on sales growth of 1% to 2% annually in the U.S., and they created complex operating and expansion plans to meet the needs of a growing population.

[...]

The data are early and incomplete, but if the trend persists, it could ripple through companies' earnings and compel major changes in the way utilities run their businesses. Utilities are expected to invest $1.5 trillion to $2 trillion by 2030 to modernize their electric systems and meet future needs, according to an industry-funded study by the Brattle Group. However, if electricity demand is flat or even declining, utilities must either make significant adjustments to their investment plans or run the risk of building too much capacity. That could end up burdening customers and shareholders with needless expenses.

To be sure, electricity use fluctuates with the economy and population trends. But what has executives stumped is that recent shifts appear larger than others seen previously, and they can't easily be explained by weather fluctuations. They have also penetrated the most stable group of consumers -- households.

[...]
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission

Re: Is US electricity consumption declining?

Unread postby strider3700 » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 03:59:32

I haven't seen any numbers but could walmarts push of CF bulbs actaully be starting to make a difference? I have my doubts but I don't see much else out there that would convince people to conserve electricity. Maybe the economy in the states is far worse then it is up here but I can't see that affecting power bills quite yet.
shame on us, doomed from the start
god have mercy on our dirty little hearts
strider3700
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby idiom » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 04:06:15

Would a million foreclosures have anything to do with it?
The world ends without a tragedy,Time is melting into history
The sky is falling, Voices crying out in desperation
Hear them calling, Everybody, save yourself
idiom
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TheDude » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 04:15:28

Not according to the Xcel CEO they quote.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 04:34:29

This is just from my perspective. Since the economic downturn, I have been turning off lights and keeping the house cooler then normal. I'm not in economic difficulty but I'm saving ever penny I have for preps. I can imagine that people who are close to foreclosure are taking more radical steps to save money on electricity right now.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby lawnchair » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 11:59:21

Lot of undocumented workers going home could be part of it.

We're up to six households on my block who use clotheslines much of the time.
At 1% annual growth, human bodies will incorporate every gram in the observable universe in approximately 10,170 years.
lawnchair
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby emeraldg40 » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 13:27:31

We are in north Texas and total electric. We installed a new energy effeicient air con 2 years ago. We changed every light fixture in the house with so called Walmart bulbs (lol). We received our 300.00 deposit back for paying our elec bill on time for 5 years. All that together and we paid 0.00 in elec this summer. Quite a feat for a hot Texas summer when your total elec. For this winter, its cold now in the 40's.......we purchased a ceramic stand electric heater. We raise the shades in every room and let solar power work as much as possible and have only had the "big" heater on twice so far. We have shaved many dollars off our enegy bill and are looking for more ideas.
emeraldg40
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby bratticus » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 19:00:56

[flash width=425 height=350]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/4es7u93zRlY[/flash]
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby eastbay » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 19:12:45

lawnchair wrote:
We're up to six households on my block who use clotheslines much of the time.

Sadly, we're the only family near us hanging clothes to dry (as far as I know), and we do it 12 months out of the year. Inside hanging on wet and dreary days. Takes longer, but in 24 hours everything will get dry.

It's 22NOV today and we still haven't turned on the house heater here in Portland, OR. It's 57 inside right now... was 55 early this morning, but we opened the blinds and even on a mostly cloudy 40 to 50 degree day like today one can add a few happy degrees to the inside air.

Last year we hit the heater at 60 degrees... this year we're going cooler because it hasn't caused any hardship so why not!
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby bratticus » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 19:23:54

eastbay wrote:Sadly, we're the only family near us hanging clothes to dry...
Jevon's Paradox?
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby FoolYap » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 20:49:58

eastbay wrote:Sadly, we're the only family near us hanging clothes to dry (as far as I know), and we do it 12 months out of the year. Inside hanging on wet and dreary days. Takes longer, but in 24 hours everything will get dry.

In the winter, it gets much colder outside here than by you. And hence, drier. Hanging clothes indoor to dry brings much needed humidity into our indoor air.

--Steve
FoolYap
Coal
Coal

Unread postby yesplease » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 21:18:52

bratticus wrote:
eastbay wrote:Sadly, we're the only family near us hanging clothes to dry...
Jevon's Paradox?
Probably not.
Professor Membrane wrote: Not now son, I'm making ... TOAST!
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby IgnoranceIsBliss » Sat 22 Nov 2008, 23:15:18

idiom wrote:Would a million foreclosures have anything to do with it?

I also wonder about some of the large empty retail store spaces too. That is a lot of energy not being used for lights and heating/ cooling.
IgnoranceIsBliss
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby VMarcHart » Sun 23 Nov 2008, 09:32:51

NOVEMBER 21, 2008
Surprise Drop in Power Use Delivers Jolt to Utilities

An unexpected drop in U.S. electricity consumption ...
If one believes the drop in electricity consumption really came as a surprise to utilities' execs, it's another example of how execs are being paid millions for being caught with their pants down.
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 23 Nov 2008, 10:11:49

8) My own use is down by a third from the last of the kids moving out except for weekends. I switched most of the lights to CF so that maybe part of it.
The real drop in use surely comes from factory assembly lines that are not spotwelding SUVs together by robot. Shut down a line or cut back its hours and the savings on the meter will balance out a whole lot of college kids leaving the lights on 24 /7.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dinopello » Sun 23 Nov 2008, 10:43:26

Yes, if these execs really were surprised of a decline in consumption during the most severe economic downturn since the great depression, they are a little stupid. Last I checked their sales are split pretty evenly between the industrial, commercial and residential sectors and I would have expected all of these to be down. Residential declines hurt the utilities more because they generate a larger share of the profits than the other two.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 23 Nov 2008, 10:43:58

I went to 13 watt'ers and LED lighting, LCD TV and wood pellet stove. Also, when the old 60 gal (standing poilet) gas watter heater died, I replaced it with a 20 gal elect one (no more baths). :razz:

I hope to have my home energy costs under control now.
vision-master

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Sun 23 Nov 2008, 10:59:13

Due to the size of this house and the poor insulation (I imagine), it's down to 45 degrees on the second floor. At least a few degrees colder on the first where we never use heat. Right now, there are only two of us living here and the other one leaves on the weekends so I shut off the heat completely on weekends (it's not cold enough to freeze the pipes yet). I just use a 1500 watt electric heater off and on by my feet to keep my room warm when I'm in there. Since I'm either at my desk (which keeps the heat well since the heater is beneath it) or on my bed, I don't use that much heat. The heat is supplied with natural gas which is the main reason I try to use the electric heater more if I can.

Lots of hoodies, sweatpants and workouts to generate body heat. :)
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Sun 23 Nov 2008, 11:03:47

3aidlillahi wrote:Due to the size of this house and the poor insulation (I imagine), it's down to 45 degrees on the second floor. At least a few degrees colder on the first where we never use heat. Right now, there are only two of us living here and the other one leaves on the weekends so I shut off the heat completely on weekends (it's not cold enough to freeze the pipes yet). I just use a 1500 watt electric heater off and on by my feet to keep my room warm when I'm in there. Since I'm either at my desk (which keeps the heat well since the heater is beneath it) or on my bed, I don't use that much heat. The heat is supplied with natural gas which is the main reason I try to use the electric heater more if I can.

Lots of hoodies, sweatpants and workouts to generate body heat. :)

Wood pellet stoves are supposed cut your natural gas bill by 50%.
vision-master

Unread postby lowem » Sun 23 Nov 2008, 20:59:45

My electricity usage has dropped from 700 KWh back in Sep 2006 down to around 450 KWh per month nowadays, a fall of 35% - my story then.

But in the past 3 years, Singapore electricity rates have increased over 89%, which includes a jump of 21% from Oct 2008.

With the Crash In Everything (TM), rates should be falling from Jan 2009. Let's hope wages don't fall faster than that.
Live quotes - oil/gold/silver
lowem
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to North America Discussion