Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

People now Burying Cash

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

People now Burying Cash

Unread postby deMolay » Mon 24 Nov 2008, 13:23:33

Watch the video: video
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: People now Burying Cash

Unread postby Jotapay » Mon 24 Nov 2008, 13:36:14

Wow.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Specop_007 » Mon 24 Nov 2008, 13:44:33

A man wanted to bury 150k and the banker talked him out of it?! That lady needs to go into sales. Not only did she convince someone to keep thier money in the bank, but its over the FDIC insured limit!!
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the
Abyss, the Abyss gazes also into you."

Ammo at a gunfight is like bubblegum in grade school: If you havent brought enough for everyone, you're in trouble
Specop_007
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Leanan » Mon 24 Nov 2008, 13:59:48

Specop_007 wrote:but its over the FDIC insured limit!!

Not any more. They raised the limit. It's $250,000 now.
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby patience » Mon 24 Nov 2008, 14:14:20

I expect the Fed/Banksters/govt to change the currency when they have debauched this one far enough. If that be the case, cash buried in the backyard will be worth about the same as Confederate money. Probably less, since Confederate money has some collector value.

I don't trust the banks, but I trust the govt even less. The banks only rob me if I give them the opportunity, but the govt robs me every April 15th. So, why not put your money where it will do you some good?

-Pay all debts.
-Buy what you will need to live for a while.
-If you have some left, you are on your own. I don't have that much, and no idea what to do with it.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby Nickel » Mon 24 Nov 2008, 15:27:50

I don't believe you. Show us the map. :mrgreen:
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby crude_intentions » Mon 24 Nov 2008, 15:29:42

If he was really smart he would have bought gold and/or silver then buried it. Once uncle Ben gets done that 8k won't buy a weeks worth of groceries.

I wish I earned enough money to buy metals. Alas the life of a poor working college student :(
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
- Albert Einstein
crude_intentions
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Arsenal » Mon 24 Nov 2008, 15:37:19

Buy gold and stuff it in a tube. Bury it about twelve feet deep with some metal junk about four feet down. Safe from metal detectors unless someone is really determined.
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Mon 24 Nov 2008, 18:39:55

Funny, I thought people have been spending more than they earned for a while now, perhaps burying their bills would be a better plan.

Even better, as patience mentions, is to plow your money into land you can own, tools you can use and food you can eat.

No video tho...
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Arsenal » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 00:15:53

Pops wrote:Funny, I thought people have been spending more than they earned for a while now, perhaps burying their bills would be a better plan.

Even better, as patience mentions, is to plow your money into land you can own, tools you can use and food you can eat.

No video tho...

The gold thing is only if you already put your money into your land already. :) Pops advice is always advisable first.
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Leanan » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 17:13:20

Unfortunately, you can't hide land, and it's not very portable. If the government or someone else decides to take it, or if the area where you are living becomes undesirable for some reason, you can't stick your land in your pocket and get the heck out of Dodge.

I understand why some people want to invest in farmland...but I also think there are very solid reasons not to own real estate now.
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby SuperTico » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 17:28:38

It's a great idea !!! In winter, when there are no leaves, you can wipe your azz with it !
Dollars burn well, even when damp and are GREAT for assisting in rolling an even joint ! 8)
SuperTico
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Arsenal » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 17:43:12

Leanan wrote:Unfortunately, you can't hide land, and it's not very portable. If the government or someone else decides to take it, or if the area where you are living becomes undesirable for some reason, you can't stick your land in your pocket and get the heck out of Dodge. I understand why some people want to invest in farmland...but I also think there are very solid reasons not to own real estate now.

Yeah. But you can't eat gold either and that farmer won't sell you those potatoes unless his family is fed first. You need both gold and land in my opinion.

The government also confiscated gold back in the 30's so don't think it is the end all be all.

If the government is out taking land (which the logistics alone are staggering) then a revolution is not far behind. The attachment to ones land is by far greater than it is to gold. In hard times gold is a one time shot. You spend it and it is gone. With land you can plant over and over again if you are careful.
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 17:53:53

Arsenal wrote:
Leanan wrote:Unfortunately, you can't hide land, and it's not very portable. If the government or someone else decides to take it, or if the area where you are living becomes undesirable for some reason, you can't stick your land in your pocket and get the heck out of Dodge. I understand why some people want to invest in farmland...but I also think there are very solid reasons not to own real estate now.
If the government is out taking land (which the logistics alone are staggering) then a revolution is not far behind.

The Goobermint did it in GD1, why wouldn't it happen again? Even if you own it with no mortgage, you could be taxed off it if you can't make a profit from farming it and then owe back taxes, at which point the farm is auctioned off.

There was no revolution by the Okies pushed off their land. Hopefully this time around people get it figured out.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Arsenal » Tue 25 Nov 2008, 17:57:33

ReverseEngineer wrote:The Goobermint did it in GD1, why wouldn't it happen again? Even if you own it with no mortgage, you could be taxed off it if you can't make a profit from farming it and then owe back taxes, at which point the farm is auctioned off. There was no revolution by the Okies pushed off their land. Hopefully this time around people get it figured out.

That is why I said you need both. Gold and land. Gold so you can pay the taxes or sell your excess crops to pay them. Smart/lucky people kept their land during the GD1.. Smart people will keep their land in the GD2.
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Economics & Finance