Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Tomorrow is make or break for 10 store chains

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Tomorrow is make or break for 10 store chains

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 28 Nov 2008, 01:24:29

These troubles point to a number of other retail chains going out of business between now and early next year. Sales on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, which is considered the bellwether of holiday sales, will determine the fate of several companies which are now viewed as the weakest operators in the industry.

Here is a list of ten companies which may well not make it if their sales drop by double digits this holiday season compared to last:

1. Bon-Ton
2. Dillard's
3. Talbots
4. Pier 1
5. Cost Plus
6. Williams-Sonoma
7. Chico's FAS
8. Saks
9. Eddi Bauer
10. Rite Aid

http://www.247wallst.com/2008/11/the-black-frida.html

Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Tomorrow is make or break for 10 store chains

Unread postby Leanan » Fri 28 Nov 2008, 09:59:30

Commercial mortgages could melt down next

WASHINGTON — The full scope of the housing meltdown isn't clear, and already there are ominous signs of a new crisis — one that could turn out the lights on malls, hotels and storefronts nationwide.

Even as the holiday shopping season begins in full swing, the same events poisoning the housing market are now at work on commercial properties, and the bad news is trickling in. Malls from Michigan to Georgia are entering foreclosure.
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby Iaato » Fri 28 Nov 2008, 11:56:26

Peak insanity, peak consumption; we're at it. I think I'm going to be sick.

NY Daily News--Worker dies after being trampled in Long Island Wal-Mart Black Friday stampede
“Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value ---- zero.” --Voltaire
Iaato
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Location: As close as I can get to the beginning of the pipe.

Unread postby patience » Fri 28 Nov 2008, 12:31:50

Black Friday may come to have a new meaning this year, more like Black Monday. Like the survey I read, of some 21,000 people, 59% of whom said they won't spend a cent today, I'm staying home. Circuit City and Value City (Ohio based discounter) are belly up. K-Mart is closing a store here. Dollar General is in trouble, and needing a good holiday season. With these cheap stores hurting, to me it says we are in bigger trouble than we know.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Return to Economics & Finance