Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Should I go ahead with this?

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Should I go ahead with this?

Unread postby danhower » Fri 28 Nov 2008, 10:51:30

Hi,

I have developed a 'turbine' for slow currents, like 1 metre per second, which is not enough for most if not all existing water turbines.

I would like to hear opinions if I should go ahead with it, have it patented and look for investors.

I have developed it just because I was interested to see if I could develop something totally new. The model is working fine, and if I could contribute to save the world I would very much like to do that ;-)

Also if somebody knows about design that work with such slow currents I would be interested to hear from it.

Thanks
Dan
danhower

Re: Should I go ahead with this?

Unread postby jamest » Fri 28 Nov 2008, 10:54:37

You can obtain a provisional patent very inexpensively. It is good for one year, and gives you the time to seek investors.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/provapp.htm
jamest
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Nano » Fri 28 Nov 2008, 17:28:06

Do five things:

1. Estimate the service life.
2. Estimate the cost.
3. Estimate the yield.
4. Calculate the pay-back time
(5.) check existing patents.

You might want to do 5 first.

The service life depends on how robust the apparatus is in its working environment. It should last at least 15 years with little or no repairs or servicing.

The cost you can estimate by finding a piece of common machinery with approximately the same complexity, materials and mass, and checking the manufacturer selling price.

The yield is the electricity generated, which sells for anything above 3 to 30 USD cents per kWh, depending on taxes and credit (politics).

Now you can calculate the pay back time. This should be as low as possible. Anything below 15 years is interesting. Anything below 5 years is a winner. Anything below 2 years and I'll buy stock in your company.
Nano
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby danhower » Sat 29 Nov 2008, 10:26:07

Jamest, thanks for the link. I will check if a US patent is of any use for me.
Dan
danhower

Unread postby danhower » Sat 29 Nov 2008, 10:31:24

Nano, thanks for the list.

Good points.

It will have moving parts, so 15 years without repair is impossible.

For the yield I will have to let the prototype run for some time. However, I am not far from your place for some time. Bloody cold here, and there is no way to spend hours in the water for tests. Also there are people just everywhere. No way to keep it secret. I have to delay this until I get back to Australia.

I have checked for patents. There is nothing similar, be it with or without patent.
danhower

Unread postby drew » Sat 29 Nov 2008, 11:08:49

i have been pissing around with an invention too, a stirling type engine. You don't want to waste time with an Aussie patent, just a US one. I am a Canuck, and that's what I was told by a patent lawyer. He says there is a 'Paris Convention' that essentially extends patent protection world wide once you have the US one. It is not cheap, even for a provisional one. I was quoted a minimum of a grand for a patent search, and for the establishment of the provisional patent. The full deal is 12k. Good luck!

P.S. don't talk about your invention to anyone aside from very trusted friends, family, and your lawyer!!

Drew
drew
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby danhower » Sat 29 Nov 2008, 11:39:54

Thanks drew,
12K is way beyond my means, so it will probably rest in my drawer some more time :(

I don't tell anyone, and the model is locked in my garage. Some good friends have seen the model, but they couldn't grasp why it is something special and totally new. I guess they never even thought about why one should make electricity from water currents.

Did you get your patent? If yes, care to give some info? Always interested...
danhower

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Sat 29 Nov 2008, 12:27:55

I was talking recently to a tinkerer who seemed pretty knowledgable about the patent process. His take was that patents are a big company game and are really worthless for a small entrepeneur. The problem with patents is that it's just a piece of paper. It really only has value if you're prepared to fight a long and expensive legal battle against anyone who tries to infringe it.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby drew » Sat 29 Nov 2008, 13:03:16

The sad part, SPG, is that if you don't have one you're screwed! Something small can make you big money with a patent. Case in point, trailer holdbacks. A small local Ontario company has a patent on a trailer door holdback that might cost 5 bucks to make. It is a phenomenal piece of engineering and completely eclipses anything I've seen in twenty years in the industry. These are now showing up as oem on trailers (18 wheeler type), and are being retrofitted on all our older equipment. There are around 300,000 new trailers a year made in the US. That's 1.5 million in revenue per year, if every manufacturer specs them (they will), and pays the manufacturer 10 bucks. There is also the aftermarket to consider.

Dan, I have a prototype built, which may or may not ever run. It has very high internal friction relative to the amount of power it needs just to idle. I am halfway through building a drive for it just to turn it over so I can see if it is actually operating according to stirling principles. That is to say the hot side gets cold and the cold , hot when the engine is cranked over.

As far as patents go, I was told by the lawyer to get a working prototype first, and also (SPG is somewhat right as far as money goes) that it is almost impossible to get money for experimental engines and the like.

Drew
drew
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Frank » Mon 01 Dec 2008, 19:36:18

Frank
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby highlander » Mon 01 Dec 2008, 19:39:58

Low flow/low head hydro generators are a great invention. Here in the states, water quality regulations prevent you from legally using one.
This is where everybody puts profound words written by another...or not so profound words written by themselves
Highlander 2007
highlander
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby danhower » Wed 03 Dec 2008, 16:06:39

No Frank, nothing like that.
danhower

Unread postby kublikhan » Fri 05 Dec 2008, 17:22:50

drew wrote:I was quoted a minimum of a grand for a patent search
Ouch. Why would he charge you a grand for a patent search? You can do a quick search yourself online:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/
The oil barrel is half-full.
kublikhan
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby drew » Fri 05 Dec 2008, 17:47:55

Because he's a lawyer,....

and he wants my money.....

obviously!!

Believe me I spent some serious time doing my own research. I probably looked at around a thousand entries, particularly in the States, as well as those in Canada that I could find.

I expect that I could probably write a provisional application, but I don't know about the full monte.

The writing skills have definitely deteriorated since university.

Drew
drew
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Energy Technology