Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Stunning Development...

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Stunning Development...

Unread postby Concerned1 » Fri 28 Nov 2008, 16:21:40

If I'm understanding this correctly: "The Securities and Exchange Commission is considering another option that might ease the crisis, one that would change accounting rules so banks don't have to declare huge losses whenever the market declines."
Source

The SEC is considering a change to the existing rules of fair disclosure to allow companies to hide their losses so that investors will not know if the companies they are invested in are in trouble or even approaching bankruptcy. As I said, if that's what's on the table, that could put the savings of millions of investors in jeopardy!

Am I missing something here?
Concerned1
Wood
Wood

Re: Stunning Development...

Unread postby Carlhole » Fri 28 Nov 2008, 16:25:18

Isn't this the mark-to-market rule that so many people have advocated - including Karl Denninger?
Carlhole

Unread postby Lanthanide » Fri 28 Nov 2008, 16:39:17

If they defer the valuation of the assets when the market declines forever, no one will ever lose money. Seems like a win-win plan to me.
Lanthanide
Peat
Peat

Unread postby TWilliam » Fri 28 Nov 2008, 17:48:25

Concerned1 wrote:If I'm understanding this correctly: "The Securities and Exchange Commission is considering another option that might ease the crisis, one that would change accounting rules so banks don't have to declare huge losses whenever the market declines." Source
The SEC is considering a change to the existing rules of fair disclosure to allow companies to hide their losses so that investors will not know if the companies they are invested in are in trouble or even approaching bankruptcy. As I said, if that's what's on the table, that could put the savings of millions of investors in jeopardy!
Am I missing something here?

Without reading the item myself (feeling lazy today): if your interpretation is correct, people would have to be absolute MORONS to ever even consider investing a friggin' penny with a company without disclosure.

Oh wait...
"It means buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, because Kansas? Is goin' bye-bye... "
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Fri 28 Nov 2008, 20:33:16

Sounds like they are trying to re-invent the Enron fiasco to buy us some more time before everything melts down.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 28 Nov 2008, 21:50:24

You have reason to be concerned, Concerned1.

That's the plan -- hide the toxic mess these companies are carrying around, and hope nobody can figure out which stock to short, which to sell off.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to North America Discussion