Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!

Unread postby thuja » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 00:42:01

Forget the fortress o' doom, the preps for the zombies, the 3 ton lay away plan of freeze dried spelt in the basement. This unfolding Depression means most all of us have our jobs in jeopardy. And for most of us, if we don't have a job, things start to go downhill fast.

So post your fears and hopes about keeping or losing your job. Post your local news of unemployment rates and mass layoffs. Here is the meat of the matter...did you prep well enough to keep income flowing in adequately as the s proceeds to h the f?
Last edited by thuja on Sun 30 Nov 2008, 00:55:56, edited 1 time in total.
thuja
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!

Unread postby GoghGoner » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 00:55:11

I work in research at a university. Obama has pledged to double the amount spent on research. I doubt if he'll be able to increase funding but I am betting that he wouldn't cut funding either. I go under when the government goes under.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby idiom » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 01:00:32

The whole point of the fortress o Doom is that it is your retirement plan.

Otherwise you are just having a career change, hopefully to a gun for hire, otherwise just to a gun.
The world ends without a tragedy,Time is melting into history
The sky is falling, Voices crying out in desperation
Hear them calling, Everybody, save yourself
idiom
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 01:15:49

Right now I have no fears of losing my job, even though its a private business. Enough people remain employed to be sending me their kids to teach. There are also quite a few ways we have to cut expenses in the business as we lose clientele. Much of the staff is part time, they would be the first to go. We also at some point might stop paying on the mortgage. I am pretty sure until the dollar tanks that my job is safe.

In the aftermath of the crash, I intend on reorganizing up here on a barter system. All the folks I know have kids and they will still need a place for them to learn. I intend to keep teaching, but more than that I intend on helping my friends and this comunity with what I know.

The fallback position is of course Subsitence living, Hunting and Fishing. However, I am hopeful that the Fundamental Jobs of a community will remain intact, albeit with a barter system rather than a currency system. My community is small enough that such a system can work.

The Fundamental Jobs, as I have described before are the following:

Toolmaker
Transporter
Domestic
Medicine Man
Teacher
Protector
Food Producer
Leader
Prostitute

Do any of these jobs well, you probably have a place in your community. I am in good shape to fill at least 4 of those roles. That is my plan.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 01:26:45

ReverseEngineer wrote:Toolmaker
Transporter
Domestic
Medicine Man
Teacher
Protector
Food Producer
Leader
Prostitute

Do any of these jobs well, you probably have a place in your community. I am in good shape to fill at least 4 of those roles. That is my plan.

Reverse Engineer

I'm trying to guess which of the 4 are on your list. I take it you don't look like Richard Gere or Mrs Doubtfire?

mos6507

Unread postby thuja » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 01:31:30

idiom wrote:The whole point of the fortress o Doom is that it is your retirement plan.

Otherwise you are just having a career change, hopefully to a gun for hire, otherwise just to a gun.

So you have enough food and supplies to hole up in your FO'Doom for an extended period and you have enough reserve cash to pay mortgage, taxes and for any extra problems that may come your way (regrading a road, digging a new well, repairing the roof, etc?)?

Great! Sounds like you're a retiree.

But for the rest of us plebs, our slave to da Man days are not over. We must deal with the reality at hand. A job is a necessity...not a choice.
thuja
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 01:32:23

mos6507 wrote:
ReverseEngineer wrote:Toolmaker
Transporter
Domestic
Medicine Man
Teacher
Protector
Food Producer
Leader
Prostitute

Reverse Engineer

I'm trying to guess which of the 4 are on your list. I take it you don't look like Richard Gere or Mrs Doubtfire?

Yah, Domestic and Prostitute are not likely future occupations for me. I'd be Bear Food if I was looking to make a living with either of those. ;-)

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby americandream » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 01:40:51

idiom wrote:The whole point of the fortress o Doom is that it is your retirement plan.

Likely to be much call for gunslingers in your neck of the woods, maaiitte?
americandream
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Zardoz » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 04:30:07

And you plan to hold out for the rest of your life in the Fortress O' Doom, "retired", with no income, and no need to replenish supplies or maintain the FOD, or require medical attention?

How might one do that?
"Thank you for attending the oil age. We're going to scrape what we can out of these tar pits in Alberta and then shut down the machines and turn out the lights. Goodnight." - seldom_seen
Zardoz
Expert
Expert

Unread postby wisconsin_cur » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 04:35:21

Zardoz wrote:

And you plan to hold out for the rest of your life in the Fortress O' Doom, "retired", with no income, and no need to replenish supplies or maintain the FOD, or require medical attention?

How might one do that?

I think we might have an oversimplified view of a "doomstead."

My grandfather (83 years old) retired with very little savings yet continues to draw interest on nearly every dime of SS money he has received. What he has spent he has invested in property.

He sells eggs, chickens, rabbits, goats and sheep as well as raises/shoots all of his own food minus bread, butter, milk and cottage cheese. His animals more than pay for themselves, they pay his property taxes, phone, sat TV, LP (for cooking only he heats with wood) etc etc...

Many would look at it and say it was a "doomstead." In reality it is just a way to get buy in the world.
http://www.thenewfederalistpapers.com
wisconsin_cur
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ayame » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 04:54:49

I work for a company that is in the catering industry (supplies fancy cakes to hotels etc.) Christmas is usually the time when we make huge profits. Because of the recession people aren't eating out or eating desserts. I don't think we will even see a profit this Christmas trading period. I will probably be unemployed by the middle of next year unless we are bought out by a larger company.
Ayame
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby BlueGhostNo2 » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 05:49:02

Idioms in New Zealand Thuja, his entire damn country is a fortress O'doom. Justs spent 2 mo holidaying there and checking it out. If the zombie hoards look like coming I can't think of a better place to be.
BlueGhostNo2
Peat
Peat

Unread postby topcat » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 08:11:10

I/we mainly rely on my WW's (wonderful wife) job as an RN for the mortgage, while the farm and odd jobs add in. She has 30+ years experience. When the hospitals start laying off, well it will not be pretty at home or anywhere else for that matter.
"No workey, no beef jerkey." TC

"Home is where the hot dogs are." TC
topcat
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby thuja » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 14:08:06

BlueGhostNo2 wrote:Idioms in New Zealand Thuja, his entire damn country is a fortress O'doom. Justs spent 2 mo holidaying there and checking it out. If the zombie hoards look like coming I can't think of a better place to be.

Actually there is no suh thing as zombies. They're really kown as "unemployed people". And Believe me, there will be plenty of them in New Zealand in years to come.
thuja
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby truecougarblue » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 15:58:20

At present we are just getting started with the job losses.

The real and lasting pain will begin when those who have jobs find that the tax burden is so large that they are better off taking the dole.

Those who follow Gault will then head for the gulch, then look out below.
Cougar

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." - Brigham Young
truecougarblue
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Grifter » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 16:06:07

I work in recruitment centered mostly around the construction industry.

I also rent my flat off my boss. He's a shit landlord but if he sacks me he'll lose a tennant :)

Earlier in the year I rated my chances of keeping my job in 2009 as 70%.

Right now I think its about 90% that I will keep my job.

I know people that are worried about their jobs in the immediate future. But that is not me, I think I'm ok for now.

Our business doesn't need credit in any way, but ALL of our clients require credit, cheap easy to get credit.

I'm not certain by any means.
Grifter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 16:23:05

One of our clients had to withdraw his order because he had not made enough money recently to pay for it, so we're finally personally experiencing the shrinking economy, though so far are not actually suffering or tightening our belts more than usual. But neither are we throwing money around.

We do currently have one job in the shop, which is really all we can handle at a time anyway.
Ludi

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 16:51:34

Grifter wrote:Our business doesn't need credit in any way, but ALL of our clients require credit, cheap easy to get credit.

If your clients need easy credit ............You need easy credit.
This is not like Pearl Harbor where TSHTF for everyone (The Americans at least) at the same time and the same day. The first cow chip comes the day you lose your job. The second the day the wife loses hers. Then a spreader load comes the day your unemployment runs out. Then it really hits it in a big way when governments admit that they are totaly bankrupt and stop paying retirees and the dole stops for everyone. By that time the people you owe money to may be in such dire straits that they have no way or no one to come and collect the collateral or figure how much you owe in the taters of the currency but I would not count on that. At any rate the day you have no money coming in whatsoever is the day the SHTF for you and if you have no preps. your situation will be dire indeed. Getting past that day and having food to eat until you can find a way to grow or secure more is the whole point of preps. and having your food cache in a place that might be foreclosed on is a risky plan.
edited spelling:
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Grifter » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 17:09:19

vtsnowedin wrote:
Grifter wrote:Our business doesn't need credit in any way, but ALL of our clients require credit, cheap easy to get credit.

If your clients need easy credit ............You need easy credit.
This is not like Pearl Harbor where TSHTF for everyone (The Americans at least) at the same time and the same day. The first cow chip comes the day you lose your job. The second the day the wife loses hers. Then a spreader load comes the day your unemployment runs out. Then it really hits it in a big way when governments admit that they are totaly bankrupt and stop paying retirees and the dole stops for everyone. By that time the people you owe money to may be in such dire straits that they have no way or no one to come and collect the collateral or figure how much you owe in the taters of the currency but I would not count on that. At any rate the day you have no money coming in whatsoever is the day the SHTF for you and if you have no preps. your situation will be dire indeed. Getting past that day and having food to eat until you can find a way to grow or secure more is the whole point of preps. and having your food cache in a place that might be foreclosed on is a risky plan.
edited spelling:

Ahem.....I agree with you. As long as I can milk the system I will. Sorry.

I have preps.
Grifter
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby graham » Sun 30 Nov 2008, 17:15:03

My best mate has just landed a job as an estate agent!!!
graham
Peat
Peat

Next

Return to Economics & Finance