Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Gas for Dollar a Gallon

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Gas for Dollar a Gallon

Unread postby Beignet2 » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 16:24:29

http://www.patriotledger.com/business/x ... ices-ahead

Just received this from a friend. Haven't heard of this site before, but I thought I would pass it on.
Beignet2
Wood
Wood

Re: Gas for Dollar a Gallon

Unread postby rdsaltpower » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 16:43:03

I saw that story myself. Mindblowing!
rdsaltpower
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Armageddon » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 17:27:09

Could this bankrupt Russia, Venezuela, and the Middle East ? This reminds me of how the Cold War was won too.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 18:09:45

Everybody keeps blaming this on speculators. Here's my question.

If the price rise was as simple as a bunch of speculators driving it up, why on earth doesn't OPEC bankroll a bunch of speculators to run it back up?
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Armageddon » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 18:15:54

smallpoxgirl wrote:Everybody keeps blaming this on speculators. Here's my question.

If the price rise was as simple as a bunch of speculators driving it up, why on earth doesn't OPEC bankroll a bunch of speculators to run it back up?

Good question. Maybe there is too much money driving it down ? Hell, you got me. I can't make any sense out if it.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby GoghGoner » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 18:56:44

smallpoxgirl wrote:Everybody keeps blaming this on speculators. Here's my question.

This article written last September argues that is what happens. If that was true why wouldn't they just jump in now, though. I guess that is what you were asking. I guess it doesn't pass the smell test. I don't think it is completely about supply and demand either.

Time article
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Snik » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 19:45:43

Markets are never only about supply and demand. Markets are made of people, and they behave as such. Hence, markets move contrary to fundementals, or beyond what fundementals dictate. After a certain point it's all about emotion, sometimes to the point of panic. That panic can be a buying panic, or a selling panic. We are in a selling panic right now. Fortunately the markets are not always in a panic mode, but when they are you can't really predict how high, or how low they will go.
Snik
Peat
Peat

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 20:58:28

Snik wrote:Markets are never only about supply and demand. Markets are made of people, and they behave as such. Hence, markets move contrary to fundementals, or beyond what fundementals dictate. After a certain point it's all about emotion, sometimes to the point of panic. That panic can be a buying panic, or a selling panic. We are in a selling panic right now. Fortunately the markets are not always in a panic mode, but when they are you can't really predict how high, or how low they will go.

That sound like this.

(We don't have a fucking clue)

(We are just guessing here folks)
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Snik » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 21:28:24

You got it.
Snik
Peat
Peat

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 22:10:05

GoghGoner wrote:This article written last September argues that is what happens. If that was true why wouldn't they just jump in now, though. I guess that is what you were asking. I guess it doesn't pass the smell test. I don't think it is completely about supply and demand either.

Right. It's about peoples emotions and expectations around supply and demand. My point was basically that if this was a simple issue of speculators driving it up and down to make a profit, it's pretty obvious that both OPEC and the US government have a lot more money than any collection of speculators. They'd both be elbow deep in manipulating the market. Instead, they apply leverage where it can actually work - By trying to impact peoples emotions and expectations about supply and demand.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby RedStateGreen » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 22:14:20

Two words: market manipulation.
efarmer wrote:"Taste the sizzling fury of fajita skillet death you marauding zombie goon!"

First thing to ask: Cui bono?
RedStateGreen
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 22:17:00

Oh, $1 per gallon would be niiiice.. nostalgiac.. time for a cross country RV trip :)
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby cbxer55 » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 22:50:56

Sixstrings wrote:Oh, $1 per gallon would be niiiice.. nostalgiac.. time for a cross country RV trip :)

And while you are on the other side of the country, it rockets back up to $4.00+ per gallon! Then whatcha gonna do?
SEE YA! Image
cbxer55
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby eastbay » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 22:55:20

Sixstrings wrote:Oh, $1 per gallon would be niiiice.. nostalgiac.. time for a cross country RV trip :)

You may not have long to wait. Only 36 cents lower and your wish will be true.
Got Dharma?

Everything is Impermanent. Shakyamuni Buddha
eastbay
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 22:55:22

And while you are on the other side of the country, it rockets back up to $4.00+ per gallon! Then whatcha gonna do?

Lol, it's funny you say that. I was going to take a trip when gas was $4 a gallon.. it was going to be expensive, but I love the comfort of an RV. But I ended up nixing the trip cuz I was *convinced* gas would shoot to $6 when it came time for the return leg.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Revi » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 23:04:12

I think this price crash is evidence of how bad things are. They have to keep driving the price lower just to get people to buy it. We are in a deflationary depression. So many people have dropped out of the market that they can't buy gas even if it's a dollar a gallon. I think we may be near the bottom, but we'll have to see.

Funny, when Bush got in gas was selling for $1.46 a gallon. Now that he's leaving it's back there again.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby cbxer55 » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 23:04:25

Sixstrings wrote:

Lol, it's funny you say that. I was going to take a trip when gas was $4 a gallon.. it was going to be expensive, but I love the comfort of an RV. But I ended up nixing the trip cuz I was *convinced* gas would shoot to $6 when it came time for the return leg.

An old Wile E. Coyote saying. "A wise decision my friend. You have just saved yourself from a fate worse than the frying pan!" LOL
Operation Rabbit Around about 4:10

And remember, mud spelled backwards, is DUM! LOL
Last edited by cbxer55 on Thu 04 Dec 2008, 23:41:07, edited 1 time in total.
SEE YA! Image
cbxer55
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby threadbear » Thu 04 Dec 2008, 23:32:02

smallpoxgirl wrote:
GoghGoner wrote:This article written last September argues that is what happens. If that was true why wouldn't they just jump in now, though. I guess that is what you were asking. I guess it doesn't pass the smell test. I don't think it is completely about supply and demand either.

Right. It's about peoples emotions and expectations around supply and demand. My point was basically that if this was a simple issue of speculators driving it up and down to make a profit, it's pretty obvious that both OPEC and the US government have a lot more money than any collection of speculators. They'd both be elbow deep in manipulating the market. Instead, they apply leverage where it can actually work - By trying to impact peoples emotions and expectations about supply and demand.

This is what I've been saying for Y-e-a-r-s.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby aahala2 » Fri 05 Dec 2008, 11:31:39

Revi wrote:

Funny, when Bush got in gas was selling for $1.46 a gallon. Now that he's leaving it's back there again.

Not foreseen, but forseeable. If you had known about "Peak Bush". The curve first rises, then levels off and yada yada yada.
:lol:
aahala2
Peat
Peat

Return to Peak Oil Discussion