Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Functional backyard windmills - need advice

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Functional backyard windmills - need advice

Unread postby hope_full » Sat 06 Dec 2008, 10:17:39

I'd like to buy/build/install a functional windmill in the backyard. I live on a typical suburban lot (about 120' by 120') and would like to generate enough power for my little tool shed (as a start).

My high goal is to learn more about windmills and how they work, so that I can learn how it's done - on a small scale. City forbids any accessory structures being taller than 14', so it has to be less than 14' in height.

Can anyone recommend a book or a resource for learning more? And I've been looking at metal windmills for under $200 (at online sites). Has anyone tried one of these DIY backyard kits?

Would love to learn more. Any suggestions?
hope_full
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Functional backyard windmills - need advice

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 06 Dec 2008, 10:41:57

8) Your zoning restriction pretty much makes this project a non starter. wind mills work better the higher up they are as wind velocitys are higher above the friction and turbulance objects on the ground give to the lowest layers of air. One hundred foot towers were common in the plains states when many farm houses generated their own DC power in the thirtys. Also the power availabe to a wind mill is determined by the area of the circle the blades sweep so a windmill that sweeps a twenty foot circle can make four times the power of one that sweeps ten feet. A=pie*R^2
A wind mill low enough and small enough to pass zoning will probably only make enough electricity to light a flashlight.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby patience » Sat 06 Dec 2008, 15:50:33

What Vt said. You would probably be ahead to check out solar PV. For Wind info, check out www.otherpower.com. They have a discussion forum on their site.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby WisJim » Sat 06 Dec 2008, 16:35:44

For a wind generator to be successful, no mater what style or orientation it is, it should be a minimum of 30 feet above anything within 500 feet. That is the basic rule of thumb, higher is better ALWAYS.
Your situation might work for a toy generator, but would be a waste of money and effort.
WisJim
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Sat 06 Dec 2008, 16:52:03

WisJim wrote:For a wind generator to be successful, no mater what style or orientation it is, it should be a minimum of 30 feet above anything within 500 feet. That is the basic rule of thumb, higher is better ALWAYS.
Your situation might work for a toy generator, but would be a waste of money and effort.

Just out of curiousity what about those roof top verticle axis wind turbines designed to be placed where structure forces a rapid turbulent airflow? I actually saw a company designing buildings to be self powered based on the effect (is it Venturi?)
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby WisJim » Sat 06 Dec 2008, 22:57:19

Tanada wrote:Just out of curiousity what about those roof top verticle axis wind turbines designed to be placed where structure forces a rapid turbulent airflow? I actually saw a company designing buildings to be self powered based on the effect (is it Venturi?)

I have never seen any that really worked. There are none that have been tested by a third party and shown to function as advertised. A rooftop is not a place for a rotating piece of machinery whose speed varies constantly.
WisJim
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dunewalker » Sun 07 Dec 2008, 00:39:55

I have an Air-X made by Southwest Windpower on the roof of my cabin. It has been up there about 4 years and has performed the way I expected it to--that is, as an auxiliary source of power during short, stormy winter days when the photovoltaic system is not producing much. It's rated at 400 watts @28mph, which doesn't mean much by itself, except to say that it's one of the smallest windmills available. The windmill is mounted on a pole attached to the end of the cabin, extending to 27' above ground level. the windmill vibration is dampened with old automotive motor mounts on the roof where the pole connects to the end of the peak. There are also 2 pipe struts extending diagonally out to the eaves to stabilize the tower. These are also dampened with motor mounts. The Air-X costs around $600 but includes a controller, which you'll need anyway to regulate the power to your batteries (which you'll also need, btw, to store power). If your toolshed has 120volt AC appliances, you'll also need an inverter, unless you put 12 volt lighting in the shed instead.

If you were to mount the windmill on your toolshed you might be able to get away with a bit more height than 14', as long as the neighbors don't complain about the noise. In big winds, the Air-X can make some pretty amazing noises, as it gets turned away from the wind by a vortex. Unless you live in an extraordinarily windy area like I do out here in the desert, it probably won't give you much power. One advantage to a windmill however, is that during storms it can produce day and night, which can add up over time. With the batteries, wires and pipe, you'll end up spending at least $1,000. Patience is right---photovoltaics might be a better project in this case, but not less expensive.

Southwest Windpower Air-X
"Wilderness is another civilization apart from our own." - H.D. Thoreau
dunewalker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 07 Dec 2008, 12:04:40

WisJim wrote:
Tanada wrote:Just out of curiousity what about those roof top verticle axis wind turbines designed to be placed where structure forces a rapid turbulent airflow? I actually saw a company designing buildings to be self powered based on the effect (is it Venturi?)

I have never seen any that really worked. There are none that have been tested by a third party and shown to function as advertised. A rooftop is not a place for a rotating piece of machinery whose speed varies constantly.

I wasn't able to find the web page which caused me to ask the question to start with but while searching for it I came across THIS web page. I had not seen this place before so I found it quite interesting and thought you might as well.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby hope_full » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 15:46:50

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I'm disappointed that I can't build a real windmill here on my little plot of city land.

All the signs seem to be pointing to the wisdom of buying/leasing/renting something out in the boondocks, far from the madding crowds.

If only I had a boat load of money, it'd be so much easier...
hope_full
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 16:00:44

I think the worst situation is to live in an area with poor solar prospects AND zoning restrictions for wind. That's what I have to look forward to in the northeast if I stay in the burbs.
mos6507

Unread postby Arsenal » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 16:25:00

Go to otherpower.com. Get the plans, parts, and tools to make three windmills and store them. If things go to S&^t then wait until it dies down and then make a windmill for your house. Zone regs won't matter if TSHTF.

At worst you have all the parts stored for if/when you move. If everything stays together.
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dunewalker » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 19:59:21

mos6507 wrote:I think the worst situation is to live in an area with poor solar prospects AND zoning restrictions for wind. That's what I have to look forward to in the northeast if I stay in the burbs.

I lived in Westborough, Ma. in 1984. I remember seeing some sort of wind farm on the shoulder of Mount Wachusett near the village of Princeton. That town was one of my favorite places in New England. Would that be within your range?
"Wilderness is another civilization apart from our own." - H.D. Thoreau
dunewalker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 21:54:07

dunewalker wrote:I lived in Westborough, Ma. in 1984. I remember seeing some sort of wind farm on the shoulder of Mount Wachusett near the village of Princeton. That town was one of my favorite places in New England. Would that be within your range?

If I have any illusions of commuting to Boston I need to draw the line at around the 495 where the commuter rail terminates. I guess I could try commuting to Worcester, but I don't see an active rail service. It would be a shame to have to commute by car in a state with so much public transportation. I think if I leave the MBTA range of Boston then I'm going to head out to the cheapest boonies in MA, VT, or ME. Princeton looks like it's a resort/retiree community.
mos6507

Return to Conservation & Efficiency