Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Heading for Zero

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Heading for Zero

Unread postby billg » Mon 08 Dec 2008, 23:17:01

Down the doomsday rabbit hole we go...a hole in the shape of a zero...

Heading for zero
Central banks are making history. Last week's 1pc cut took interest rates down to 2pc, the level that they were last at in 1951, which was the all-time low since the Bank of England was formed in 1694.

By Roger Bootle
08 Dec 2008

What now? I think that interest rates around the world should be cut to zero – and what's more, I think they just about will be. But why stop at zero? Why not send interest rates negative? The answer gets to the root of a monetary economy and hints at why deflation is so dangerous. The answer is cash – i.e notes. They do not carry interest, positive or negative. This imposes a limit on what can be done with bank deposits.

If banks, under leadership from the central bank, tried to impose negative interest rates on bank deposits, people would withdraw money and hold hoards of cash on which no negative interest rate was incurred. There might plausibly be some reluctance to hold large amounts of cash for convenience or security reasons, and accordingly banks might be able to levy a small negative interest rate on deposits without prompting a stampede to cash.

But it could only be small, not least because it would be open to other banks, or indeed completely new banks, to start a new business simply taking in cash to look after for safekeeping in return for a small fee.

Full article at Telegraph.co.uk
"It is no measure of health to be deemed sane in an insane society" J. Krishnamurti

Second Attention
billg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Heading for Zero

Unread postby smiley » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 18:25:08

I guess this wouldn't mean that my mortgage gets a negative interest rate.
smiley
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby emeraldg40 » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 18:40:58

Negative lol

okay you, out of the rabbit hole, your turning colors and losing your mind
emeraldg40
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Tyler_JC » Wed 10 Dec 2008, 18:47:57

This isn't news, it's political commentary.

Lots of stupid ideas are proposed on the opinion pages of newspapers throughout the world.

I wouldn't be too worried about this.
"www.peakoil.com is the Myspace of the Apocalypse."
Tyler_JC
Expert
Expert

Return to Economics & Finance