Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Best Buy 3Q profit sinks 77%

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Best Buy 3Q profit sinks 77%

Unread postby Armageddon » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 11:59:32

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081216/ap_ ... s_best_buy

MINNEAPOLIS – Best Buy Co. Inc. , the nation's biggest consumer electronics retailer, said Tuesday that its third-quarter profit sank 77 percent as it faced dramatic changes in consumer spending.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Best Buy 3Q profit sinks 77%

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 12:14:17

Armi -- that may be the most bone chilling headline I've seen yet. In my part of the world Best Buy is THE center of discretionary spending. Folks go to WalMart for what they need...Best Buy for what they want and can afford. In the 4Q it will be interesting to see if the Christmas spirit helps them to rebound or is just one more nail in the coffin.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby DJSNOLA » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 12:23:34

I think you nailed it Rockman. If Best Buy is hurting this bad, any other company that falls on the discretionary side is in a world of trouble. No wonder Circuit City is in bankruptcy. Seriously though, can a store even make money with a good Christmas, if they lost that many sales in the 3rd quarter. Black Friday got its moniker because it was the day that many stores got out of the red for the year. Im thinking this year there will be no such day for many businesses!
DJSNOLA
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Armageddon » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 12:54:13

I read on another forum they had over 1 million applicants for the 25,000 season positions, and most were college grads . This is a very telling story. And I agree with you ROC, Best Buy is the epitome of discretionary spending. As I have thought all along, once the ATM house is gone, the economy will follow. Probably a 12-24 month lag. Where is the consumer going to find cash now ?
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby DJSNOLA » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 12:59:38

I think we will see shopping coupons like Japan is doing soon! That way the money you receive must get spent and cant be saved.
DJSNOLA
Peat
Peat

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 12:59:46

But the always a silver lining if you look close enough armi: now maybe I can get that Wii at BB before the sell out the next shipment. Good for me...unfortunately not so much for the rest of the folks .
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Armageddon » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 13:10:33

ROCKMAN wrote:But the always a silver lining if you look close enough armi: now maybe I can get that Wii at BB before the sell out the next shipment. Good for me...unfortunately not so much for the rest of the folks .

Good Luck. I luckily was at CC last year when they were putting them on the shelve. Me and the wife were like, do you want one ? One year later, our 2 daughters 13,11 still play it. They love the mario cart and bowling the most. My wife got them the guitar hero for christmas this year. If you get one, they have a special deal where you get an addional remote that comes with the sports package. And, she bought this thing rechargable battery thing too. It's the only way to go. Wii's rule.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jedinvest » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 15:47:38

BB still made a profit, so I don't think they are going out of business. Just that there are a lot of sales and discounts out there. Great time to shop. Buy those trinkets while they are still available. Except for appliances, I have to agree that BB caters to the discretionary spenders. And with less granite countertops being installed, I guess the appliance business is not doing so well either.

First-tier businesses will keep going. Second-tier businesses will have a hard time keeping in the black and/or getting credit.

Detroit must be a second-tier business relative to the world leaders in autos.
jedinvest
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 17:25:59

But the always a silver lining if you look close enough armi: now maybe I can get that Wii at BB before the sell out the next shipment.

Does the fact that I just don't get the "Wii" make me officially Old?

I know, I know it's popular.. I just don't get it. Standing in front of the tv, waving a controler. Ok, why do you need a game system to do this? ;)

On the topic of gaming.. it appears it's a bright spot in the economy. The more people want to escape from life, and the less money they have to do real things, the more they'll game.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Snowrunner » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 17:32:38

Sixstrings wrote:I know, I know it's popular.. I just don't get it. Standing in front of the tv, waving a controler. Ok, why do you need a game system to do this? ;)

Because if you do that without a game system you are usually in place that provides patted rooms for your comfort :P
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Armageddon » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 17:36:06

Snowrunner wrote:
Sixstrings wrote:I know, I know it's popular.. I just don't get it. Standing in front of the tv, waving a controler. Ok, why do you need a game system to do this? ;)

Because if you do that without a game system you are usually in place that provides patted rooms for your comfort :P

He probably means why not actually go bowling or play real tennis.
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 17:42:10

Sixstrings wrote:Does the fact that I just don't get the "Wii" make me officially Old?

If so, I'm right there with you.

I actually think the OP of this thread is encouraging news. If they're still managing to turn any profit in this market, that's quite a positive sign IMHO.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby emersonbiggins » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 18:00:48

smallpoxgirl wrote:
Sixstrings wrote:Does the fact that I just don't get the "Wii" make me officially Old?

If so, I'm right there with you.

I actually think the OP of this thread is encouraging news. If they're still managing to turn any profit in this market, that's quite a positive sign IMHO.

3Q numbers might have still been [positively] biased by the $150bn stimulus package, which only fully disbursed by the end of the 3Q08, I believe. The impact of the stimulus cannot be overstated, as it was roughly equal in size to three months' worth of U.S. mortgage equity withdrawals at the height of the housing bubble.
"It's called the American Dream because you'd have to be asleep to believe it."

George Carlin
emersonbiggins
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 18:25:15

Maybe I can pick up another sweet LCD TV and surround sound system in the belly-up-sale.
vision-master

Unread postby ki11ercane » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 18:29:17

Armageddon wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081216/ap_on_bi_ge/earns_best_buy

MINNEAPOLIS – Best Buy Co. Inc. , the nation's biggest consumer electronics retailer, said Tuesday that its third-quarter profit sank 77 percent as it faced dramatic changes in consumer spending.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but this is not a deal breaker for Best Buy, or any company.

Profit is defined as the "cream" atop the crust. This is the "extra" after all the bills have been paid. Right now, their cream is 33% rather than 100%, and at least they are still making cream.

I am self employed as well, and at this time of year, my profits for my company drop "100%," but I am entering my 10th year in business. My business has survived just fine on 6 months of feast and 6 months of famine. It's not the end of the world for a business to have a drop in "profit." When they can no longer meet their bills and suppliers, ie. there is no longer any cream left atop the crust, then illiquidity sets in, then insolvency, then bankruptcy. It's like cancer, it kills in stages. The trick is to stay out of or not pass stage one.
ki11ercane
Coal
Coal

Unread postby TWilliam » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 19:35:27

Sixstrings wrote:I just don't get it. Standing in front of the tv, waving a controler. Ok, why do you need a game system to do this?

It's largely a marketing ploy designed to appease the increasingly vocal segment of parents who frown on the sedentary aspect of excessive gaming. "Look! We're giving them exercise while they play!" :roll:
"It means buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, because Kansas? Is goin' bye-bye... "
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby seldom_seen » Tue 16 Dec 2008, 20:06:14

One of their problems is they aren't a best buy.

I have walked in to their store before just for the shock value of seeing how expensive their camera equipment is compared to what you can find online from reputable camera dealers.
seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Minvaren » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 00:21:52

seldom_seen wrote:One of their problems is they aren't a best buy.

I have walked in to their store before just for the shock value of seeing how expensive their camera equipment is compared to what you can find online from reputable camera dealers.

Bingo.

When I find a monitor cable 50% off BB prices at a "mom and pop" 1/3rd of a mile from Best Buy... Something is rotten in Denmark. All the money you save on the item on-sale is made up by the product warranty and overpriced peripherals that are required.
Minvaren
Peat
Peat

Unread postby InToWishin » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 06:55:23

Minvaren wrote:
seldom_seen wrote:One of their problems is they aren't a best buy.

Bingo.

When I find a monitor cable 50% off BB prices at a "mom and pop" 1/3rd of a mile from Best Buy... Something is rotten in Denmark. All the money you save on the item on-sale is made up by the product warranty and overpriced peripherals that are required.

Yeah but they will be a Best Buy soon if only for a short time.

Bankruptcy sales hurt business for other retailers

... Shoppers are waiting to make purchases, particularly when dealing with bankrupt retailers. They know that as the time nears for the doors to close forever, the markdown percentages increase. ...

Is this the new trickle down economy in action?
InToWishin
Peat
Peat

Unread postby hironegro » Wed 17 Dec 2008, 19:15:55

Sixstrings wrote:
But the always a silver lining if you look close enough armi: now maybe I can get that Wii at BB before the sell out the next shipment.

Does the fact that I just don't get the "Wii" make me officially Old?

I know, I know it's popular.. I just don't get it. Standing in front of the tv, waving a controler. Ok, why do you need a game system to do this? ;)

On the topic of gaming.. it appears it's a bright spot in the economy. The more people want to escape from life, and the less money they have to do real things, the more they'll game.

There really isn't any public spaces anymore. Video games are the new public spaces for my generation.
hironegro
Coal
Coal

Next

Return to Economics & Finance