Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Energy used in food production

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Energy used in food production

Unread postby IslandCrow » Thu 18 Dec 2008, 10:31:40

Over at TOD there is an interesting thread on Preserving Produce without Heat.

In it the following graph was postedImage

Over here we have talked a lot about the energy used (especially fossil fuels) in farming and in transport. Little has been said about energy in processing foods [although I remember one short exchange with MrBill on this issue months or years ago]. The article raises a good question about efficiency of scale verses doing it all ourselves:

Clearly, much energy is invested in processing fresh food to be stored for later consumption. A lot of energy is also spent getting processed food into stores and homes. I am generally in favor of local economic systems, as these cut down dramatically on transportation demands. But local doesn't have to mean within your own home, and for some kinds of work ultra-small scale may be counter-productive. I don't want the advantages of shortened transport distances eliminated by engaging in a high energy processing method.

Having priced my time into the equation for some food processing I have done at home (eg. jam making) the amount I am saving represents an hourly rate a less than is paid in unemployment benefit! For this reason I walk over the road to the baker rather than bake my own bread (also his is nicer then what I make, and it is supporting a wider community than just my household).
We should teach our children the 4-Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Rejoice.
IslandCrow
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Peak Oil Discussion