Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Jan Lundberg: Dissolve the U.S. ... Proactive Change ...

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Jan Lundberg: Dissolve the U.S. ... Proactive Change ...

Unread postby InToWishin » Sat 20 Dec 2008, 13:46:21

Dissolve the U.S.: an Option for Proactive Change before Collapse

by Jan Lundberg 19 December 2008
Will Obama be a Greater Gorbachev?

Culture Change Letter #221 - Housing starts in the U.S. are down 47% as of 13 months ago. Prices of commodities, not just oil, are falling because of job losses unseen since 1947. Oil is still very costly when subsidies are included. The prior recoveries from recessions were from bubbles: dot com and housing speculation -- when oil extraction was still rising. Now peak money has come and gone. Climate disasters have barely begun. So to deny we're slipping on a downward slope is getting harder, and more of us are wondering about the uncertain outcome.
...skip...

What's a real plan today?
Beware of sellouts who trick people into thinking their plan is doable and realistic: is it a fantasy in any way, ignoring peak oil's full effects or climate-change devastation? Is their plan a ruse to keep up the hopeless attempt to reform the dominant system into some green entity it has only resisted and rejected?

The denial of reality is about as strong as the trend to recognize it, which means things are getting more intense as the natural world collides with civilization for what's stacking up to be a final showdown.

We may soon see how correct I was when I claimed in 1992, in the quarterly journal Population and Environment, that the Russian people were better off in their imperial collapse than people of the U.S. will be because of petroleum dependence. With the common practice of one out of five Russians growing their own potatoes, unlike U.S. folk who only drive to the supermarket, survival from the short term to long term looked not so bad comparatively. But one reason there was no major die-off, as I predict in the U.S. and elsewhere, is that Russia was in an economic world still “growing.”
...snip...

Moved to Americas Discussion. The Current Events forum is for Discussions on energy-related breaking news.-FL
InToWishin
Peat
Peat

Re: Jan Lundberg: Dissolve the U.S. ... Proactive Change ...

Unread postby Typo » Sat 20 Dec 2008, 17:04:48

Why does anyone care what these random internet prognosticators think? Who the hell is Jan Lundberg? If there's anything that this forum has taught me, it's that Internet typeset is ridiculously cheap.
Typo
Wood
Wood

Unread postby seldom_seen » Sat 20 Dec 2008, 18:19:37

Typo wrote:Who the hell is Jan Lundberg?

Maybe you should take the time to figure that out? There's many people on this forum who appreciate what he has to say.

Jan Lundberg, co-founded the Lundberg Letter, called "the bible of the oil industry", in 1973. Mr. Lundberg ran Lundberg Survey Incorporated for the petroleum industry, utilities and government. He founded the Sustainable Energy Institute (SEI) in 1988.
seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby InToWishin » Sat 20 Dec 2008, 18:32:15

Typo wrote:Why does anyone care what these random internet prognosticators think? Who the hell is Jan Lundberg? If there's anything that this forum has taught me, it's that Internet typeset is ridiculously cheap.

Bzzt! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
InToWishin
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dunewalker » Sat 20 Dec 2008, 19:02:16

Oops--wrong guy...
"Wilderness is another civilization apart from our own." - H.D. Thoreau
dunewalker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Typo » Sun 21 Dec 2008, 10:48:58

InToWishin wrote:
Typo wrote:Why does anyone care what these random internet prognosticators think? Who the hell is Jan Lundberg? If there's anything that this forum has taught me, it's that Internet typeset is ridiculously cheap.

Bzzt! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Forgive me. What I should have said is that anyone can find 20 random-ass people on the Internet with random-ass credentials to support whatever random-ass view they want.
Typo
Wood
Wood

Return to North America Discussion