Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Coming "The Greatest Depression"

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Coming "The Greatest Depression"

Unread postby Concerned1 » Fri 26 Dec 2008, 18:33:27

This is an audio interview. What Mr. Celente has to say should give anyone pause: link

Moved to Economics Forum. The Current Events forum is for Discussions on energy-related breaking news.-FL
Concerned1
Wood
Wood

Re: Coming "The Greatest Depression"

Unread postby efarmer » Fri 26 Dec 2008, 19:05:53

If you are going to preach doom here, you have to do your homework and come up with a new name instead of stretching Great to Greatest or saying Great Depression II.

Folks on this site frolic and cavort in scalding pools of doom and have end time scenario calluses on our brains, you have to have real game to do the doom dance with us.

Depressopalooza World Tour

100 Greatest Bankster Beatdowns

You know, come up with a name that makes you curl up fetal or wet your skivvies. BTW, welcome to Peak Oil.
efarmer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Novus » Fri 26 Dec 2008, 20:14:40

Here is a new name for you.

I call it: The Dark Age 2.0
Novus
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby nobodypanic » Fri 26 Dec 2008, 20:54:10

Novus wrote:Here is a new name for you. I call it: The Dark Age 2.0

the darkest age.

ha! :lol:
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Fri 26 Dec 2008, 20:56:24

Novus wrote:Here is a new name for you. I call it: The Dark Age 2.0

I am not going to have to learn a new language or skill set am I
I am already up to here *waves hands over head with Ajax
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby ki11ercane » Fri 26 Dec 2008, 22:15:08

The word "Depression" will never be coined. It's too harsh for the MSM and the sheeple:
1. Great Recession.
2. Long Emergency.
3. Long Recession.

Pick one of those.
ki11ercane
Coal
Coal

Unread postby RdSnt » Fri 26 Dec 2008, 22:29:23

"It was a dark and stormy age"
Gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer.
Everything is coincident.
Love: the state of suspended anticipation.
To get any appreciable distance from the Earth in
a sensible amount of time, you must lie.
RdSnt
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby erl » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 00:26:01

How about just "the Dark."

Yeah, probably already used as a movie title, I know.
erl
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby threadbear » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 00:45:07

The Great Recess-ion, like recess in elementary school. It might be fun. Or we could call it "The Great Nap-Time". Everyone pulls out their little mats and sleeps for the next few years.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 01:23:54

RdSnt wrote:"It was a dark and stormy age"

Too funny Snoopy ! :)
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rainbowfires » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 03:05:52

Oh the civilazations fall like fall foilage that didnt spring up gardens everywhere like spring. Left the gardens directly or indirectly or kicked out directly or indirectly.
correct gardens give more up down and all around than it ever takes.

Some people call snow flakes snow flakes I know them as snow flowers. Do you think that artwork evolved from some goo.

Oh how creation groans for Eternal Fathers gardens and glory to come again in this earth and these heavens as it is written thru and thru.

Well I can posses my garden/home/ soul: with patience/priority and think about that one day and one hour the deserts even will be turned to gardens again the venom sacks of the snakes will go away and in return the lions will begin to eat hay.

Off-topic. Per COC 3.1.8: This includes posts on "why was my post deleted", off-topic posts, thread-jacking, complaining about links, unedited reposts, repeated mod evasion, and trolling.-FL
Enjoying lasts days of this age, healthy like sage my soul is not in a crushing cage.Oil of gladness/joy even amongst all the madness.
rainbowfires
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Blacksmith » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 03:31:30

Call it what you will, but we will all be sucking the hind tit.
Employed senior
Blacksmith
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby rainbowfires » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 03:31:44

:cry:

Oh how they fall like fall foilage , that refused to return/spring to the everlasting gardens. Also to mention their most personal one and home thier soul that was whos sweet eternal living breath.

They refused to return to the breadth of his hands work, and the breath that birthed them into immortals than can never fully die.

Like boats with no sail, and or a steering.

Tossed and tormented for the way of trangressors is hard headed/stiffnecked, and or hard hearted as concrete and cold steel that enters thier own hearts/souls.

Oh how the love of many waxed wickedly cold.
Off-topic. Per COC 3.1.8: This includes posts on "why was my post deleted", off-topic posts, thread-jacking, complaining about links, unedited reposts, repeated mod evasion, and trolling.-FL
Enjoying lasts days of this age, healthy like sage my soul is not in a crushing cage.Oil of gladness/joy even amongst all the madness.
rainbowfires
Wood
Wood

Unread postby rainbowfires » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 03:45:26

Blacksmith wrote:Call it what you will, but we will all be sucking the hind tit.

Text deleted per COC 3.1.8: "Messages devoid of content: This includes posts with nonsense characters (ie. flksdhf). This also includes posts with a single word or only containing emoticons. This includes posts on "why was my post deleted", off-topic posts, thread-jacking, complaining about links, unedited reposts, repeated mod evasion, and trolling."-FL
rainbowfires
Wood
Wood

Unread postby rainbowfires » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 04:10:04

:lol:
Text deleted per COC 3.1.8: "Messages devoid of content: This includes posts with nonsense characters (ie. flksdhf). This also includes posts with a single word or only containing emoticons. This includes posts on "why was my post deleted", off-topic posts, thread-jacking, complaining about links, unedited reposts, repeated mod evasion, and trolling."-FL
rainbowfires
Wood
Wood

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 05:47:19

He says the US has highschool drop out rates of over 50%??? is this true? holy crap. I thought your curriculum of football was almost guaranteed to give everyone down there a free ride through school. The illiteracy rate of graduates was unbelieveably high, why are they all dropping out?

He also says back in the 30's having a second mortgage was a sign you were a looser! LOL! and that people didn't have home equity loans and credit card debt... so what made that crash happen and how many more times harder is this likely to be now?

But he says the entertainment industry will be revived in a big way. A hot time in the old town tonight, so to speak.
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 05:51:35

He says the US has highschool drop out rates of over 50%???

No, that's only in the worst inner city school systems. The dropout number also fails to account for those who drop out then take the GED test -- which doesn't make you an Einstein, but will get you into college just as well.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 05:52:48

Sixstrings wrote:
He says the US has highschool drop out rates of over 50%???

No, that's only in the worst inner city school systems.

And that makes it ok? what does that mean exactly, your big cities have bad schools or what?
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 06:08:14

And that makes it ok? what does that mean exactly, your big cities have bad schools or what?

I didn't say it makes it okay. This is a very large country though, and the particular inner city neighborhoods I'm referring to don't add up to much in the big picture (nation of 350 odd million).

To be more specific, I'm talking about the worst ghettos.

Here's the article Celente must have seen:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,344190,00.html

After reading the article, yeah, I guess the particular cities we've left for dead are a big mess:
In Detroit's public schools, 24.9 percent of the students graduated from high school, while 30.5 percent graduated in Indianapolis Public Schools and 34.1 percent received diplomas in the Cleveland Municipal City School District.

These numbers are troubling, but what else is new? As a nation, we don't seem to give a fig about these older generation cities. These places, Detroit, Indianapolis, Cleveland.. anyone who might have cared has moved out to greener pastures.

Again, this is a large country, so you can't say the sky is falling after seeing a few ghettos. The same article points out that as a whole, American high school graduation rates are 70%. (and a lot of those 30% do get GEDs and go on to college.. an argument could be made too many people go to college, we need more in trade schools).

EDIT:
I think I'm tired. You asked "your big cities have bad schools or what?" That's exactly right. For a long time now, the people with money have moved out of the city and into suburbs. Schools are funded through property taxes, so as property value has gone down in poor innercity neighborhoods, the schools have gotten worse.

Add to that, children who live in rank and grinding poverty can't exactly compete with well cared for suburb kids. And poor families are unstable (understandably).
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby uNkNowN ElEmEnt » Sat 27 Dec 2008, 06:22:22

So your states don't distribute funds based on per capita for the whole state (rich and poor alike)? what money is in each suburb or city area stays strictly to that area?

I see what you mean now. It is a relatively small amount, though it sounds a hell of a lot more drastic the way he put it.

Also I guess they can only get certain teachers in certain areas. No ivy league teacher wants to work in a drug and gun infested area. eh?
uNkNowN ElEmEnt
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Economics & Finance