Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Goods

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Goods

Unread postby bratticus » Wed 31 Dec 2008, 19:40:11

They had to find a bigger island of misfit toys (and cars and stuff) this year.

Retailers have options for unsold merchandise

... "I've never seen anything like this in the nine years we've been in business, in terms of the flood of goods we're getting from retailers," Mr. Byrne said. ...

Chrysler’s Jim Press: A Sales Bank By Any Other Name is… uh…

... The cancellations came from store owners who couldn’t obtain floorplanning loans (to cover inventory costs), dealers who went bust, fleet buyers who got cold feet and “vehicles left unsold from dealership sales promotions.” ...

Where old DVD formats go to die

... Staggeringly, the company moves up to 22 million units a year, including movies, CDs, cassettes, books and toys. ...

The last day for Woolworths stores

... And the sense of nostalgia was definitely confined to the demise of Woolies itself, for DVDs of the Concert for Diana also remained resolutely unsold. ...

Reflecting on 2008

... [The downturn] was present in local warehouses and storage yards, where unsold goods began stacking up not long after September's historic financial meltdown on Wall Street. ...
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Re: Goods

Unread postby kpeavey » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 03:33:55

Why buy retail?

All you best memories are now on Youtube!
Rudolph and the Island of Misfit Toys Part 1
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Jotapay » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 05:28:48

As long as store shelves are mostly full we have nothing to worry about.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby the48thronin » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 12:53:36

Jotapay wrote:As long as store shelves are mostly full we have nothing to worry about.

UNLESS.

! You need a party membership card to enter the store and you don't have one.

2. They are full of cheap toys and you wanted to buy food.

3. They are full of food at 30 cents an item and you only have 15 cents to spend.

4. The shelves and store are farther away than you can walk to and you have no transportation.

sigh!
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby green_achers » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 17:53:15

A couple of weeks < Xmas I went by a catalog returns store and it was more packed with really good stuff than I have ever seen it. I'm talking tools, motors, cool hydraulics, pumps, and heavy-duty shop eqipment. Stuff my farm NEEDS. I decided to wait till January, when I figure there's going to be some really great deals. Time to do some thoughtful aquisition, we're not likely to get this chance again.
green_achers
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby bratticus » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 11:55:37

RPT-CES-In tough times, Vegas gadget show gets smaller

... With shoppers in a funk and companies scaling back, the annual Consumer Electronics Show extravaganza in Las Vegas this week is likely to be subdued, with fewer manufacturers, retailers and people expected in attendance.

DRAM maker Powerchip seeks to cut costs, sell assets

... The company, which is facing weakening demand and a large oversupply of the dynamic random access memory (DRAM) chips used in personal computers, also said Chairman Frank Huang would forgo his salary from Monday until Powerchip returns to profit.

Nanya to submit application for bailout funds this week

... Nanya Technology will submit its application to Taiwan's Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) for government bailout funds by the end of this week, in a partnership with Micron Technology, today's Chinese-language Apple Daily reported.

November Chip Sales Slipped 10%

... Sales in the Americas fell 19.5 percent while in Europe sales fell 13.9 percent.

Shoppers largely resist day-after-Christmas sales

... No retail category escaped the downward pull of consumers' inability or unwillingness to spend this year, which many analysts expect will be the worst in decades for the retail industry.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 18:15:02

Are you busy making preps?
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Economics & Finance