Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

No help for those who will not help themselves

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

No help for those who will not help themselves

Unread postby Ayoob » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 06:39:53

WAVELAND, Miss., Dec. 31 (UPI) -- Housing advocates say Hurricane Katrina victims about to be forced out of U.S. government-supplied cottages in Mississippi will have no place to go.

Some 2,300 of the one-, two- and three-bedroom structures supplied by the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency to temporarily house Katrina victims are still being used, but the cottages will need to be emptied by the end of January and removed by March, USA Today reported Wednesday.

"If these (cottages) are gone, there's just not going to be enough affordable housing," Tim Kellar, administrator of Hancock County, Miss., told the newspaper. "We don't have an alternate plan if that happens."

UPI

Hurricane Katrina
Formed August 23, 2005
Dissipated August 30, 2005
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Re: No help for those who will not help themselves

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 07:31:01

That's obvious.

Verily never will God change the condition of a people until they change it themselves (with their own souls)

[13:11]

People in NO and across the US need to wise up and realize that the government, at any level, can not be there to protect them at all times.
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 09:26:48

Ayoob wrote:WAVELAND, Miss., Dec. 31 (UPI) -- Housing advocates say Hurricane Katrina victims about to be forced out of U.S. government-supplied cottages in Mississippi will have no place to go.

Some 2,300 of the one-, two- and three-bedroom structures supplied by the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency to temporarily house Katrina victims are still being used, but the cottages will need to be emptied by the end of January and removed by March, USA Today reported Wednesday.

Hurricane Katrina
Formed August 23, 2005

My sympathy for the people living there ended in late 2006. Even those few permanently disabled have had all the time they need to find an alternative long since, anyone really in need will still be able to get public assistance, it just won't be Katrina related public assistance. ADC, Food Stamps, Welfare are all still there ars the social safety new, as is low cost and government subsidized housing. They might have to relocate, but such is life.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby JJ » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 10:37:54

I have a friend who fled to NZ and is starting a transition town.. He sent me an email that we need to be starting transition towns here in Texas. I commented that from what I see at the grocery store, not only are people NOT preparing for a slimmed down future, it seems they are consuming more. It seems that when theres a hiccup, everyone is going to just sit in their house and wait for help to come. At any rate, I forwarded this to my neighbor, who just got back from Iraq working for Blackwater. He said if they haven't started prepparing by now, they won't. And its not my responsibility to feed them either. I'm going to do what we did in Iraq, me and my 308 will take what we want. Interesting times indeed. The local chief of police says one of the guys on the force has 6000 pounds of ammo in his garage, and is storing food and water for the end of the world in 2012. He is trying to recruit the other cops to join him (he read somewhere that you need a minimum of fifteen people to survive). Finally on of the other cops got tired of his entreties and said (Tom) I'm a better shot than you are. If any of this really happens, then I'm just going to cap your ass and take your stuff...The bread guy down the street says that when they institute martial law in a few weeks, they will simply execute anyone who has a gun and doesn't surrender it...don't be caught with a gun (he's a martial arts guy). He's storing up tomohawks.... 2009 looks interesting....
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 10:41:52

JJ wrote:I forwarded this to my neighbor, who just got back from Iraq working for Blackwater..

Why would wanyone want someone who works for Blackwater as a friend?
mos6507

Unread postby MarkJ » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 10:52:09

Many of the cottages sit on residents' lots while they rebuild wrecked homes, said Mike Womack, director of the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency. They were meant to be temporary, and may not withstand another powerful storm. They also violate local zoning rules, he told USA Today.

FEMA officials say they are willing to sell the cottages to residents, but that depends on local approvals and some cities, such as Waveland and Bay St. Louis, Miss., will only allow the cottages in trailer parks, advocates contend.

I don't know what their local market is like, but in my region it's often cheaper to rent or buy an existing mobile home already in a park than to move one.

When we bought a mobile home park for a future housing development, we couldn't give away some of the singlewide mobile homes since there was a lack of park openings and the cost of moving, park entry fees, setup and repairs was too high.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby JJ » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 11:02:06

mos6507 wrote:
JJ wrote:I forwarded this to my neighbor, who just got back from Iraq working for Blackwater..

perhaps I should have said acquiantence; however I'd still rather have someone who worked for Blackwater watching my back than 99% of the morbidly obese I watch each day....they started a community outside of town, all marines/mercenaries...haven't made it out there, although I was invited. So we now have four communities I know of outside of town; one Republic of Texas, one marines/mercenaries, one religious and one satanic.
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Jack » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 11:48:23

mos6507 wrote:Why would wanyone want someone who works for Blackwater as a friend?

Their valuable skills.

8)
Jack
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Concerned » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 15:06:22

3aidlillahi wrote:That's obvious.
Verily never will God change the condition of a people until they change it themselves (with their own souls)
[13:11]People in NO and across the US need to wise up and realize that the government, at any level, can not be there to protect them at all times.

Not unless you're a banker or some corporate wing nut sucking down millions of dollars per year plus perks.

Then again when those guys hit hard times or get made redundant nothing like 20, 30 or 40+ million to tide you over to the next job.
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."
-Italian Proverb
Concerned
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Ayoob » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 15:27:07

Tanada wrote:
Ayoob wrote:WAVELAND, Miss., Dec. 31 (UPI) -- Housing advocates say Hurricane Katrina victims about to be forced out of U.S. government-supplied cottages in Mississippi will have no place to go.
Hurricane Katrina
Formed August 23, 2005

My sympathy for the people living there ended in late 2006.

Mine ended September 30, 2005. It's unimaginable to me that there are any Katricians left at all. How pathetic.

I wonder, if you took a picture of the remaining several thousand Katricians, if there would be any common thread that could tie them all together or if they would be so randomly distributed among the American people that it would be impossible to figure out anything that would....
Yeah, probably not.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 17:05:48

If any of this really happens, then I'm just going to cap your ass and take your stuff...The bread guy down the street says that when they institute martial law in a few weeks, they will simply execute anyone who has a gun and doesn't surrender it...don't be caught with a gun (he's a martial arts guy). He's storing up tomohawks.... 2009 looks interesting....

Hehe, funny anecdotes, thanks for sharing.

In general, I would advise not "recruiting" in one's workplace. Things would need to get much worse before people will take you seriously and not think you're a nut.

It would certainly be contrary to survival to lose one's job because one is considered a loose cannon.

I think a better pre-crash community approach would be to start a peak oil club, or "sustainable living" club, that kind of thing. But don't get preachy, that freaks people out.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby JJ » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 20:16:35

Sixstrings wrote:
If any of this really happens, then I'm just going to cap your ass and take your stuff...The bread guy down the street says that when they institute martial law in a few weeks, they will simply execute anyone who has a gun and doesn't surrender it...don't be caught with a gun (he's a martial arts guy). He's storing up tomohawks.... 2009 looks interesting....

Hehe, funny anecdotes, thanks for sharing.

In general, I would advise not "recruiting" in one's workplace. Things would need to get much worse before people will take you seriously and not think you're a nut.

It would certainly be contrary to survival to lose one's job because one is considered a loose cannon.

I think a better pre-crash community approach would be to start a peak oil club, or "sustainable living" club, that kind of thing. But don't get preachy, that freaks people out.

hey believe me I'm not recruiting anybody; forwarded an email regarding transition towns...if i started recruiting where I work I would be short lived where i work, the public is clueless and the store director (who is PO aware and financial collapse aware) told me whatever you do DON'T mention anything about the economy or oil; people are scared now and on edge, just point out to them how much money we are saving them and reassure them that everythings going to be OK...
JJ
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby threadbear » Thu 01 Jan 2009, 21:55:32

mos6507 wrote:

To see how the other half lives/thinks. Know your enemy, or potential enemy---Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
threadbear
Expert
Expert

Return to North America Discussion