Loss Sharing

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Loss Sharing

Unread postby bratticus » Fri 02 Jan 2009, 19:42:22

FDIC Employs Tool Used for S&L Crisis
By DAMIAN PALETTA and DAVID ENRICH
WSJ
JANUARY 2, 2009

WASHINGTON -- Federal regulators are dusting off a tool used during the savings-and-loan crisis to help deal with an expected wave of bank failures in 2009.

The mechanism, known as "loss sharing," gives healthy banks an incentive to take on troubled assets of a failed institution, with the government agreeing to assume the majority of future losses. In most other cases, the buyer takes the failed bank's deposits, leaving most of the assets to be managed and sold by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.

... skip ...

... skip ...

At the same time, such deals could reduce the pile of bad assets the government would inherit in bank failures, especially from banks heavy with commercial real-estate loans that would be tough for the FDIC to manage.

"They don't have the capacity" to handle that kind of portfolio, says Pat Doyle, co-head of the financial-institutions group at law firm Arnold & Porter LLP.

... snip ...

[/quote]
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Re: Loss Sharing

Unread postby DaleFromCalgary » Fri 02 Jan 2009, 21:31:43

Canadian banks got stuck buying some of the American toxic paper and had to take writedowns, but were otherwise unaffected because of the difference in banking systems. There are few Canadian banks, as opposed to thousands in the USA, and they were restricted in how they could loan money.

Credit unions in Canada are provincially regulated and have their deposits guaranteed up to a limit (which I can't recall at the moment). In Alberta, ATB Financial is owned by the provincial government (who created it during the Great Depression to get around federal banks) and all deposits are 100% guaranteed.

Currently the Canadian government restricts mortgages to 35 years, with a minimum 5% down payment required. Even so, there are some Canucks whining about how they can't afford to buy a house and somebody should help them. It helps to remind them that the Canadian constitution does not guarantee people the right to buy a house beyond their means. Once, when selling a house in 2002, I had a couple offer me a late 1970s Cadillac land yacht (in mint condition though) in lieu of a down payment. Needless to say I declined the offer and sold it to someone else.
DaleFromCalgary
Peat
Peat

Return to Economics & Finance