Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

B. Richardson Jumps Ship

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

B. Richardson Jumps Ship

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 00:10:27

8) Bill Richardson has jumped off the ship of the state of the Obamanation before it has even left the dock. Stated reason is a grand jury investigation into a pay to play scandal back in New Mexico that can't be cleared by inauguration day. And of course they need to get right to fixing the economy and can't let confirmation hearings drag out.
More likely in my view is that Bill figured out that being the Secretary of Commerce during the largest depression in history was going to bite big time. Good luck finding someone good to replace him.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1
Last edited by vtsnowedin on Mon 05 Jan 2009, 00:37:27, edited 1 time in total.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Re: B. Richardson Jumps Ship

Unread postby dunewalker » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 00:31:14

Good decision on his part. The future, if there is any, lies within the states, not the federal government. Better to be head of your state than lost in the morass of a dying nation.
"Wilderness is another civilization apart from our own." - H.D. Thoreau
dunewalker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 01:44:39

Sounds more like he's walking the plank than jumping ship. He got caught taking bribes. The first pre-requisite of being in a presidential cabinet is being able to take bribes without getting caught.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 07:27:13

smallpoxgirl wrote:Sounds more like he's walking the plank than jumping ship. He got caught taking bribes. The first pre-requisite of being in a presidential cabinet is being able to take bribes without getting caught.

LOL true so very true.

There is not enough information released there to know if he is in real trouble or not. 100K donations and 1 million+ state contracts happen all the time. Question is was the contract put out to bid or not and was it a no show no work job or were they doing real work at a fair price. New Mexico ain't Chicago and he was running for the top job so I would be surprized if there is much to it.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby mos6507 » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 09:45:30

It's good when you contrast it to BushCo's policy of political appointments. He would just force his appointments through confirmation until they hit a dead-end and take all the political damage you possibly could from it.
mos6507

Unread postby Fishman » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 10:00:15

Surprised?
Remember this is Clinton II. There is no obama administration, just a continuation of Clinton. Which was:
"The only president ever impeached on grounds of personal malfeasance - Most number of convictions and guilty pleas by friends and associates - Most number of cabinet officials to come under criminal investigation - Most number of witnesses to flee country or refuse to testify - Most number of witnesses to die suddenly "

Apparently on election night obama's folks turned to him, "now what are your plans Mr President?" To which he seems to have answered "plans, plans, I don't have any plans. I ran on one word, if you want PLANS call the Clintons."
Fishman
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 13:52:19

SPG is right....Bill Richardson didn't jump ship....the BOers pushed him overboard.

Richardson is involved in a corruption scandal over "pay to play" just like fellow dem Gov. Blago in BO's home state-----The BOers couldn't afford to have another Gov. Blago-style scandal going on in their cabinet at the same time Rahmbo and BO are distancing themselves from Blago so they forced Richardson out-----
:-D
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 15:00:48

Its really a case of "poetic justice"

Richardson was a long-time Clinton supporter who stabbed her in the back during the campaign to endorse Obama in hopes of being BO's VP or being appointed secretary of state in BO's cabinet.

Now the BOers are stabbing Richardson in the back and forcing him out of the cabinet, while Hillary herself has taken the coveted Secretary of State slot in BO's cabinet.

Richardson's treachery against Hillary has now been justly served, and the Clintonites are more powerful in BO's administration.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jamest » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 15:20:14

Richardson is the ultimate political careerist whose primary concern is getting great jobs, not doing them.

He was an absolutely atrocious Secretary of Energy, who knew nothing and cared less about energy policy. His negligence is one of the principal reasons that oil hit $147 last summer, and that development of alternative energy came to a standstill.

Good riddance to him.
jamest
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dunewalker » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 16:25:32

jamest wrote:He was an absolutely atrocious Secretary of Energy, who knew nothing and cared less about energy policy. His negligence is one of the principal reasons that oil hit $147 last summer, and that development of alternative energy came to a standstill.

It was last century that Richardson was energy secretary. What about the impacts of Spencer Abraham and Samuel Bodman over the past 8 years? Are you saying that they have collectively been unable during two consecutive Republican administrations to overcome whatever shortcomings he might have inflicted on energy policy?
Last edited by dunewalker on Mon 05 Jan 2009, 16:50:47, edited 1 time in total.
"Wilderness is another civilization apart from our own." - H.D. Thoreau
dunewalker
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby gnm » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 16:27:33

Speaking for a large number of New Mexicans, this really sucks - we almost got rid of the guy.... :-x

-G
gnm

Unread postby AAA » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 16:51:43

Bad News for the NM O&G industry. Bill is the most anti-oil governor NM has had in a LONG time. The O&G industry was hoping to get rid of him.
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 05 Jan 2009, 23:32:23

8) Now we have Peneta as head spook. Quite a jump from Clintons COS to that, but considering that he maybe the only one that knows what really happened to Vince Foster perhaps thats a good place for him. The USS Obamanation is getting top heavy with Clinton big guns though. Hope she dosen't capsize in the first rough water.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby aflatoxin » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 00:49:59

gnm wrote:Speaking for a large number of New Mexicans, this really sucks - we almost got rid of the guy.... :-x

-G

True that. But, now we get to watch him squirm while the state falls apart due to diminished oil revenues, the general recession, and his spendthrift ways.

We will soon find out if he is THE weasel, or just the weasel's stunt double.
aflatoxin
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 09:37:17

I didn't like Richardson because he was virulently pro-amnesty. But if Obama liked him then we're going to get it one way or another and face the consequences.
mos6507

Unread postby AAA » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 12:25:09

aflatoxin wrote:
gnm wrote:Speaking for a large number of New Mexicans, this really sucks - we almost got rid of the guy.... :-x

-G

True that. But, now we get to watch him squirm while the state falls apart due to diminished oil revenues,

The problem is he is driving many o&g companies out of NM so even when prices go back up less companies are investing in NM therefore the state will not receive maximum revenue.

Don't even get me started on the regulation he has brought us. His little trick with a moratorium in Santa Fe County scares a lot of companies.

AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby aflatoxin » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 13:58:16

I don't like Richardson either. Having said that, I've worked in every little nook and cranny of New Mexico doing environmental consulting work for the o&g industry over the last 18 years.

NMOGA is, in my opinion, a bunch of crybabies who take their toys home whenever the people in NM put their collective foot down. There isn't any reason that the oil can't still be produced, it's just that they have to clean up their mess a little better than they are used to doing.

The o&g industry has created environmental messes from Jal to La Plata that will never be cleaned up. It's pretty hard for me to feel sorry for the industry as a whole when they get all sulky if told "enough".
aflatoxin
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby AAA » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 14:16:15

aflatoxin wrote:I don't like Richardson either. Having said that, I've worked in every little nook and cranny of New Mexico doing environmental consulting work for the o&g industry over the last 18 years.

Even though you don't like Bill he has definitely brought you a lot of work during his time in office. Probably way more than you or any consultant can handle. Job security.
AAA
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jamest » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 14:29:17

dunewalker wrote:
jamest wrote:He was an absolutely atrocious Secretary of Energy, who knew nothing and cared less about energy policy. His negligence is one of the principal reasons that oil hit $147 last summer, and that development of alternative energy came to a standstill.

It was last century that Richardson was energy secretary. What about the impacts of Spencer Abraham and Samuel Bodman over the past 8 years? Are you saying that they have collectively been unable during two consecutive Republican administrations to overcome whatever shortcomings he might have inflicted on energy policy?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Richardson presided over the collapse of investment of all forms of energy development and conservation, when the oil price dropped as low as $8 a barrel. He didn't lift a finger or raise his voice once to avert or alleviate that supply crunch that would follow. He simply didn't care, as he was busy trying to position himself for the nomination as VP - an effort which failed because of his mishandling of security problems at Los Alamos.

By the time he left office, all global surplus production capacity had disappeared due to underinvestment, and it was too late to avoid the spike that had to occur.
jamest
Peat
Peat

Unread postby aflatoxin » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 14:30:57

AAA wrote:
aflatoxin wrote:I don't like Richardson either. Having said that, I've worked in every little nook and cranny of New Mexico doing environmental consulting work for the o&g industry over the last 18 years.

Even though you don't like Bill he has definitely brought you a lot of work during his time in office. Probably way more than you or any consultant can handle. Job security.

Surprisingly, we are doing less in NM, and a lot more in CO and WY, where they actually enforce the laws
aflatoxin
Lignite
Lignite

Next

Return to North America Discussion