Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Sign of the times - people learning to cook at home again...

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Sign of the times - people learning to cook at home again...

Unread postby burn0gas » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 09:12:49

Now that people can't afford to go out to eat anymore, they have to cook at home. Apparently, they've forgotten how...

http://personaltrainercooking.com

The video on the page "watch a couple use personal trainer: cooking" is too funny!

WAFJ! You've got to be kidding me. People are so unprepared for what is coming. Mass die-offs ahead...
burn0gas
Wood
Wood

Re: Sign of the times - people learning to cook at home agai

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 09:42:04

It's actually a big social activity for the 20-something crowd around here. They have cooking parties. I have participated in cook-offs where we pick a food that everyone makes and chow down. My brocciole's are hard to beat.

That video was pretty dumb, but funny. The knife they were using looked as dull as George Bush.

burn0gas wrote:Now that people can't afford to go out to eat anymore, they have to cook at home. Apparently, they've forgotten how...

http://personaltrainercooking.com

The video on the page "watch a couple use personal trainer: cooking" is too funny!

WAFJ! You've got to be kidding me. People are so unprepared for what is coming. Mass die-offs ahead...
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby burn0gas » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 10:31:54

dino, I wonder if a good business opportunity here is to teach people how to cook survival food, say squirrel, neighbour's pets, or how to prepare and cook wild birds. Now that would be a cooking class with some serious "cook-offs"! ;-)
burn0gas
Wood
Wood

Unread postby SpringCreekFarm » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 10:38:02

Next they'll have to learn how to do dishes again too.
SpringCreekFarm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 10:40:10

burn0gas wrote:dino, I wonder if a good business opportunity here is to teach people how to cook survival food, say squirrel, neighbour's pets, or how to prepare and cook wild birds. Now that would be a cooking class with some serious "cook-offs"! ;-)

To anyone interested in cooking, at it's basic it is all about making the local proteins and plants we find around us palatable. Many top chefs who have shows on the food network talk about this. The markets around here all carry various insects and other stuff that various asian cultures eat regularly. I hear they are tasty but haven't the knowledge to prepare them myself.

If anyone comes after my dog as a meal, they are the one likely to become the meal though. 110 lb Bullmastiff and full of vim and vigor. :twisted:
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 10:42:57

SpringCreekFarm wrote:Next they'll have to learn how to do dishes again too.

My mom always taught us to clean as you go which is what I do. My roomate is a decent cook, but she piles the pans as she cooks in the sink and it clogs up the whole works.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 11:28:49

And in other news: Americans don't have basic skills to take care of themselves.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby burn0gas » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 17:53:02

dinopello wrote:If anyone comes after my dog as a meal, they are the one likely to become the meal though. 110 lb Bullmastiff and full of vim and vigor. :twisted:

Once the mass die-offs start, unless your dog is good at catching you food, you'll probably turn it into a 'palatable' meal before anyone else does.
burn0gas
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 18:06:49

dinopello wrote:To anyone interested in cooking, at it's basic it is all about making the local proteins and plants we find around us palatable.

Many of our local plants are fairly yucky, though edible. I've eaten prickly pear pads and fruits (standard southwestern fare), buffalo gourd (seeds are tasty and easy to collect), and such native fruits as agarita. Native pecans are small but very tasty, but there's lots of competition for those. I've not yet tried to eat Sotol, one of the staple foods of the tribes who used to live here, because it takes about 10 hours to cook (I might try now I have a slow cooker). Cattails are ok but nothing to get excited about. Our native and introduced deer are tasty, especially the exotic Axis deer. I haven't tried squirrel yet, though we are surrounded by them. It would be pretty tough to scrape out a living only on native things here these days. There used to be more wild food plants, but many edible plants were eaten completely away by the cows, sheep, and goats over the years since this area was settled by europeans.

I'm happy if folks are learning to cook with basic foods from the store, that's a big enough stretch for people used to heating frozen dinners. 8O
Ludi

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 18:57:11

burn0gas wrote:Once the mass die-offs start, unless your dog is good at catching you food, you'll probably turn it into a 'palatable' meal before anyone else does.

Just because you don't give a damn about pets doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same.
mos6507

Unread postby burn0gas » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 21:00:33

mos6507 wrote:
burn0gas wrote:Once the mass die-offs start, unless your dog is good at catching you food, you'll probably turn it into a 'palatable' meal before anyone else does.

Just because you don't give a damn about pets doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same.

I am fully expecting people to defend their livestock (pet or otherwise).

The mass of "pets" are a luxury of our modern oil-enriched lives. I think of my father's stories of growing up on the farm, where animals were either for food or work. When the dog my father played with broke its hip, my grandfather promptly shot it dead - there was no time or energy on the farm for 'pets'.
burn0gas
Wood
Wood

Unread postby dinopello » Tue 06 Jan 2009, 23:20:31

burn0gas wrote:I am fully expecting people to defend their livestock (pet or otherwise).

My pet is keen on defending me and the homestead. I really do pity anyone who tries to sneak on premisis without an invite.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jdmartin » Wed 07 Jan 2009, 01:14:02

burn0gas wrote:
mos6507 wrote:

I am fully expecting people to defend their livestock (pet or otherwise).

The mass of "pets" are a luxury of our modern oil-enriched lives. I think of my father's stories of growing up on the farm, where animals were either for food or work. When the dog my father played with broke its hip, my grandfather promptly shot it dead - there was no time or energy on the farm for 'pets'.

I'm guessing then that your ancestors were some hard-ass Amish or something similar, because people have been keeping "pets", even on farms, for hundreds of years. You can do some research and see that dogs and cats have been kept as companions, and not just workers, for thousands of years, and this was not strictly to the privileged few either.
After fueling up their cars, Twyman says they bowed their heads and asked God for cheaper gas.There was no immediate answer, but he says other motorists joined in and the service station owner didn't run them off.
jdmartin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Wed 07 Jan 2009, 02:50:04

mos6507 wrote:

It depends. What do yours taste like? :o
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Economics & Finance