Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The American dream is shrinking. New homes being built small

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

The American dream is shrinking. New homes being built small

Unread postby Ache » Fri 09 Jan 2009, 18:34:54

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/h ... size_N.htm

The American dream is shrinking. For the first time in at least a decade, builders are substantially reducing the size of new houses.

"We're trending toward smaller homes," says Gopal Ahluwalia, director of research for the National Association of Home Builders. He says growth in the average size of new single-family homes, which went from 1,750 square feet in 1978 to 2,479 in 2007, is starting to reverse.

His analysis of Census data shows that homes started in the third quarter of 2008 averaged 2,438 square feet, down from 2,629 square feet in the second quarter. Ahluwalia, who began the quarterly analysis in 1999, says there have been slight dips before, but the latest drop was much steeper and is likely to hold even after the economy recovers.

In a survey of builders this month, his group found that 89% are building or planning smaller homes than they had been.

Kermit Baker, chief economist of the American Institute of Architects (AIA), also sees the shift toward smaller houses. He says it was obvious with high-end buyers even before the economic downturn and he expects it to continue with them.

In a survey last April, the AIA found twice as many architects reporting a size decline rather than an increase. In 2006, the reverse was true.

"Affordability is a major problem," Ahluwalia says, and building smaller usually means cheaper. Also, he says, people are realizing as household size shrinks that they don't need big homes.

Baker says there is less incentive to buy a bigger, more expensive home as the economy weakens, home prices fall and energy costs remain a concern. He says people are less likely to see a home as a good investment.

Even high-end buyers, Baker says, are showing more interest in smaller, better-crafted homes.

"People don't want to be wasteful," says JD Callander of Weichert Realtors. She says they are concerned about utility costs and cleaning requirements.

Clients used to like the status of a big home, she says, but "those days are gone."
Ache
Lignite
Lignite

Re: The American dream is shrinking. New homes being built s

Unread postby bratticus » Fri 09 Jan 2009, 18:36:02

Smaller than that even http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ache » Fri 09 Jan 2009, 18:37:49

Ache
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Revi » Fri 09 Jan 2009, 18:55:44

I was surprised to find houses like this outside of Guatemala City.

The were owned by coffee barons.

I guess anyone who is moving up in the world wants a McMansion.

We have some around here, in Maine too.

The high mucky mucks live in them.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Fri 09 Jan 2009, 19:25:18

My folks are constantly apologizing for the size of their new "downsize" home, which is about 1700 square feet. Our house, which we also use for business work space, is 1500 square feet. But every single time we go over to their house, they apologize about how small it is. 8O
Ludi

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Fri 09 Jan 2009, 21:51:02

bratticus wrote:Smaller than that even http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

How can someone possibly live in 65 square feet, how would you heat it, air condition. boggles the mind.
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby mos6507 » Fri 09 Jan 2009, 22:05:56

It's just an RV trailer with a fancy facade.
mos6507

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 09 Jan 2009, 23:26:26

I have about 1,400 sq ft and closed off two bedrooms this winter. 1,000 sq ft is plenty for one person. :razz:
vision-master

Unread postby perdition79 » Fri 09 Jan 2009, 23:42:19

mos6507 wrote:It's just an RV trailer with a fancy facade.

Yep, and an Airstream will probably outlive one of those shanties by a century.
http://www.thepeoplescube.com/

"We are building a religion; we are building it bigger. We are widening the corridors and adding more lanes."
Cake - Comfort Eagle
perdition79
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby jdmartin » Sat 10 Jan 2009, 01:36:33

My house is about 2200 sf including some finished basement space. It's more than two people need now that the kids are gone but it's just about paid for, in a good location and comfortable. If I was buying something today it would be smaller. We were looking to downsize back when the trend was opposite and I got killed in the real estate market - I built my own smaller house, and it was a bitch to sell either my house or the new one because everyone wanted bigger houses than either, and all kinds of odd amenities like fully finished basements. The house I built was 1500 sf on 2 acres, and I had to practically give it away to sell it. Just goes to show timing is everything - I could have cleaned up with that house today.
After fueling up their cars, Twyman says they bowed their heads and asked God for cheaper gas.There was no immediate answer, but he says other motorists joined in and the service station owner didn't run them off.
jdmartin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Serial_Worrier » Sat 10 Jan 2009, 03:18:38

I live in a single wide trailer park, so I never got the whole McMansion thing.
Serial_Worrier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby yesplease » Sat 10 Jan 2009, 03:22:54

Maybe people are thinking they would rather spend their money on their interests than on a house w/ a bunch of empty rooms.
Professor Membrane wrote: Not now son, I'm making ... TOAST!
yesplease
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby MarkJ » Sat 10 Jan 2009, 09:26:30

Many homes *feel small* due to strange floor plans, low ceilings, dark interiors, clutter, furnishings, lack of natural light and lack of storage.

Open floor plans, high ceilings, vaulted ceilings, skylights, large windows, deep finished basements, large 2/3/4 car garages, large storage buildings, large decks, large porches, unrestricted views and acreage make even mid sized homes feel much larger.

Many mid sized homes without basements, attics, large garages and large storage buildings such as doublewide mobile homes in parks often feel smaller since they lack storage space for possessions, furnishings, the furnace, boiler and water heater.

When people don't have storage, utilities and everything they own occupies potential living space and usable storage space. When we do service we often can't get to utility closets since the rooms are packed full of junk that normally would be stored in closets, attics, garages, garage attics, work-shops, basements or storage buildings.
MarkJ
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby bratticus » Sat 10 Jan 2009, 14:20:59

jasonraymondson wrote:

How can someone possibly live in 65 square feet, how would you heat it, air condition. boggles the mind.

[flash width=425 height=344]http://www.youtube.com/v/2JTfHB5S2W4[/flash]
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby bratticus » Sat 10 Jan 2009, 14:29:35

jasonraymondson wrote:

Paris' jail cell was more than half the size of my old apartment

Criminal Paris Hilton emerged from her 2.4m x 3.6m (7.87' x 11.81' = 92.94 sq ft) prison cell recently, and bemoaned her case in the media.

Now as tragic as that is, even more tragic is the realization that her prison cell was about the same size as my old apartment, minus the bathroom and closet area (that would be the main living area, about 115 square ft out of a total of 175).
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Return to Economics & Finance