Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

CNN to air I.O.U.S.A

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

CNN to air I.O.U.S.A

Unread postby goodbye_bluesky » Fri 09 Jan 2009, 18:35:19

The program will be shown twice over the weekend: Saturday, January 10, 2009 at 2:00 PM EST and Sunday, January 11, 2009 at 3:00 PM EST.
goodbye_bluesky
Wood
Wood

Re: CNN to air I.O.U.S.A

Unread postby bratticus » Fri 09 Jan 2009, 18:39:11

You can see the 30-minute version right now:

http://www.iousathemovie.com/
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Byron100 » Fri 09 Jan 2009, 20:40:27

Just watched it, I give it 2 thumbs up. :)

Excellent documentary - shows how truly flocked we really are...
Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide...
...and the meek shall inherit the Earth!
Byron100
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby FireJack » Fri 09 Jan 2009, 23:54:07

They try to get this information out but realistically 99% of the people don't care, 0.9% will say its wrong and everything is okay with the 0.1% trying to change everything. They only way people will listen is when they've lost everything and its too late.
FireJack
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Revi » Sat 10 Jan 2009, 00:32:59

Retirement is like trying to secure a seat in one of the lifeboats on the Titanic. Who do you think is going to be in the lifeboats?

Us second class passengers will get to listen to the band as the decks slowly tilt...
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby TheDude » Sat 10 Jan 2009, 03:25:08

bratticus wrote:You can see the 30-minute version right now:

http://www.iousathemovie.com/

Full version's 4 times as long.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Sat 10 Jan 2009, 08:15:40

The 30 minute version lays it out pretty well. I'll be watching the longer version as well. Yeah we are pretty much done and this movie was made prior to the financial meltdown of 2008. If anything, that has only made the situation much worse. We have added another 2 trillion to the deficit in just a year.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby bratticus » Sat 10 Jan 2009, 08:47:02

Funny how when Squandersville tanks, Thriftsville tanks too.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Sat 10 Jan 2009, 14:35:02

It's a funny video. "OMFG!!! How are we going to pay for social security?" Duh! We're not. If you're not already drawing Social Security, you probably won't. Sorry boomers. You're on your own. The rest of us aren't going to pay double income tax just so that you can retire. Not gonna happen.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Carlhole » Sat 10 Jan 2009, 16:00:25

CNN's presentation of IOUSA is almost impossible to watch. The damn thing is so jammed full of commercials it's worse than Coast-to-Coast AM. It's disgusting.

No shitt. No more than 5 minutes of supposedly somber, serious discussion goes by before another string of obnoxious commercials shoves more Mr. FixItPro or yet another slow-motion Resort Vacation up mass consumer butt.

Does their audience have no attention span? Then why bother to present the program! Show a Scooby-Doo re-run.

Does CNN not believe the subject is truly serious? If they treated it seriously, they wouldn't abuse their own programming with endless strings of trivial commercial crap taking up most of the air time.

Send an email to CNN and complain about it. Fuck them.
Carlhole

Unread postby bratticus » Sat 10 Jan 2009, 23:08:36

Carlhole wrote:Then why bother to present the program! Show a Scooby-Doo re-run.

You are looking at it backwards. The USA is so focused on the loss of their retirement that the advertisers were falling over each other to get crammed into the show. If nobody was interested there would not be an avalanche of commercials.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby gnm » Sat 10 Jan 2009, 23:19:44

Is this only on cable? I don't have cable or sat...

-G
gnm

Unread postby Nickel » Sun 11 Jan 2009, 11:36:11

I saw IOUSA in the theatres a few months ago. It's a sobering indictment of bad policies. It's scary even if you don't live in the United States.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Sun 11 Jan 2009, 13:31:07

Lots of pain ahead. The leadership deficit is at the root of it all..................and we are all to blame for electing and reelecting our leadership in our government. (In all three branches of government)

Shocka..........Obama is not to blame for this mess. ( He has no resume, how can he be blamed!) But he will be "part" of the blame if he does not do the right thing........... And that is sure as hell is not throwing away another trillion $'s on pork.

So will Obama be the hero or the goat? Can he be the last President who could have turn us around and saved the country? I hope ,for all our sakes, that he can............................
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Hawkcreek » Sun 11 Jan 2009, 15:23:28

Don't hold your breath! He is starting off on the wrong foot before he even puts one foot in the oval office. He may just be the last president, PERIOD.

Yeah, we should have elected the senile, old guy. He still thinks the economy is in great shape. And you know a republician would never throw money at a problem to fix it.
"It don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more"
John Prine
Hawkcreek
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Sun 11 Jan 2009, 16:11:15

Yep. He's not cool, can't shoot hoops, lilly white, did not have all the answers, was not a messiah. But he was the best shot we had at getting out of this mess and save the dollar.

.............and his economic advisor was Peter Schiff.

But Obama is cool.
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby lawnchair » Sun 11 Jan 2009, 17:34:33

AlexdeLarge wrote:Yep. He's not cool, can't shoot hoops, lilly white, did not have all the answers, was not a messiah. But he was the best shot we had at getting out of this mess and save the dollar.

The 'dollar' was unsavable. It, since the 70s anyway, has been based on nothing at all but debts that had to grow against a finite planet, cool image, and our military muscle. Ron Paul recognized that it was screwed. But, one does not get back on the running horse after jumping off. Dr. Paul recognizing the insanity was in no way a path back to sanity. There was and is no such path. If I had been convinced there was, I'd have been in his corner. Peter Schiff, clued in as he is, doesn't have a solution for 'saving' the dollar, either. Just that individuals can short it. The dollar was going to die in time. Only surprising it's taken this long.

The goal, then, is to delay the inevitable (the day is late, though) and build some stuff that makes the US a better place to be in 30 years, once everyone's debt-money has collapsed, and we're back to what we have domestically and what we have a real advantage in (not much but food).

Roads? Meh. Good for animal transport even post-oil. But, we don't really need new ones either. Cutting level routes for rail and installing renewable electric projects with dying debt instruments we'll default on eventually? Much much better. Preserving industrial factories and the knowledge of machinists? Not bad. The mission to build a unsecurable imperial outpost in Iraq? That was a poor investment of dying dollars.
At 1% annual growth, human bodies will incorporate every gram in the observable universe in approximately 10,170 years.
lawnchair
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby phaster » Mon 12 Jan 2009, 22:18:19

I thought I'd drop by and find out what people thought about the CNN presentaion of IOUSA, my own take thoughts were the program was a keeper so I'm keeping a copy of it since I recorded the program on my panasonic DVR.

Just wondering if anyone here is an active user of bit torrents, if so I'd like to propose that I send ya a physical edited copy of the CNN program (basically I took out all the commericials) and I have it on a DVD -R.

Basically I figure that way someone could put the disk image of the CNN program up one the web (if it does not exist already) for others to watch.
truth is,...

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-B.org
phaster
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Carlhole » Mon 12 Jan 2009, 22:33:24

phaster wrote:I thought I'd drop by and find out what people thought about the CNN presentaion of IOUSA, my own take thoughts were the program was a keeper so I'm keeping a copy of it since I recorded the program on my panasonic DVR.

Just wondering if anyone here is an active user of bit torrents, if so I'd like to propose that I send ya a physical edited copy of the CNN program (basically I took out all the commericials) and I have it on a DVD -R.

Basically I figure that way someone could put the disk image of the CNN program up one the web (if it does not exist already) for others to watch.

I guess you can upload it here:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/11826278/1b4d5ff1/IOUSA.html

If the file is larger than 100mb, you'll have to split it into different .rar files using WinRAR and upload them in chunks < 100mb.

I'll create a torrent, if you want. IOUSA hasn't been available, which is surprising.
Carlhole

Unread postby phaster » Mon 12 Jan 2009, 23:39:08

Carlhole wrote:
phaster wrote:I thought I'd drop by and find out what people thought about the CNN presentaion of IOUSA, my own take thoughts were the program was a keeper so I'm keeping a copy of it since I recorded the program on my panasonic DVR.

I guess you can upload it here:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/11826278/1b4d5ff1/IOUSA.html

If the file is larger than 100mb, you'll have to split it into different .rar files using WinRAR and upload them in chunks < 100mb.

I'll create a torrent, if you want. IOUSA hasn't been available, which is surprising.

actually it does not surprise me that an IOUSA torrent does not exist because of the fact that its a topic (bad economic news) is something people in general don't want to hear about, kinda like the preverbal ostrich who buries it head in sand. Then there is also the issue that the topic is somewhat complex and in general the american public has ADD and thus far is unwilling to research a difficult topic.

BTW I'm a mac guy who now basically just uses a computer to surf the web and with respect to downloading files, I figure since I have netflix to rent DVDs and a PVR on my TV and don't play games, there is little use for me to try and collect torrent files.

As far as the file size of the disk its just under 4 Gb, basically I just edited out the commericials of the CNN news program on the internal hard disk of the DVR and then burned a keeper copy using the built in DVD recorded.

To add some of the additional informational content, I downloaded the PDF file from the IOUSA web site that describes the problem, and figure I'd also add few mp3 files of related subjects.

So basically I've got a pretty informative DVD-ROM that works on my mac, and panasonic DVD player that would get people interested up to speed on the subject once they get thru the initial denial stage...
truth is,...

www.ThereIsNoPlanet-B.org
phaster
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to Economics & Finance