Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

home efficiency as a business

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

home efficiency as a business

Unread postby HeckuvaJob » Sun 11 Jan 2009, 03:01:35

I recently insulated and weatherized my house and thankfully, I'm now seeing my gas bills reduced by about half. It also drastically changed the whole feel of things: rooms are quiet, cozy, with fewer furnace starts. This got me thinking about starting a small business that focused on home efficiency and I'd like to get your feedback on some points.

At risk of derailing my own post, I think it's safe to say that the price of natural gas and heating oil will continue to rise. Renewable energy sources are still being perfected and remain expensive. Amory Lovins called efficiency our greatest untapped source of energy. Would you agree that we'll eventually reach a price where this type of remodeling practically becomes mandatory?

I know utility companies sometimes offer rebates. Does anyone know if the next administration will be promoting home efficiency in any way?

I live near an area loaded with old Victorian mansions left over from the Pennsylvania oil boom. There are lots of big, old houses that I'm sure are just energy pigs. I think there would be a great demand if you could show people how much money you could save them (especially if there were tax incentives) and also make them think they're doing something to help the planet, but I'd like to hear from you guys.
HeckuvaJob
Lignite
Lignite

Re: home efficiency as a business

Unread postby Ayoob » Sun 11 Jan 2009, 04:32:53

Sell shit to people that have money. Get a clipboard, learn to estimate the job, line up a couple of subcontractors, and grind off some shoe leather. It's not that hard.

You already know how to do the work, right? Then get busy.

If I were in your shoes and wanted to get started, I would go to houses with nice cars parked out front, good paint jobs, newspaper subscription mailboxes out front, that kind of thing.

Go do it bud, don't waste time with trying to find somebody else to pay the bill. Just sell it to people that have money.

ETA: Just for clarity, I want to make sure I say it right. Don't go to people who you think could USE your services, go to people that can AFFORD your services.
Ayoob
Expert
Expert

Unread postby HeckuvaJob » Sun 11 Jan 2009, 19:18:14

Ayoob wrote:ETA: Just for clarity, I want to make sure I say it right. Don't go to people who you think could USE your services, go to people that can AFFORD your services.

Your method might very well be the way to go, I don't know. I'm probably being naive, but I was thinking this might actually be a way to make a difference, as well as make a living. Conserving resources. Preaching the PO gospel. Building community. If profit was my only motivation, I'd just keep my day job.
HeckuvaJob
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby alokin » Mon 12 Jan 2009, 00:01:00

This is nothing new.
You can follow basically two kind of works: one is the counseller and the other one the tradesman who really does the job, or you combine both. That's easy but the devil lays in the details, physically the details. If you make things wrong there is a big risk of mouldy interiors, rotten timber etc etc.
What you need to do this job is a decent theoretical basis, such as
civil engineer or tradesman qualification and you really must read heaps of stuff about physics of construction and you must know all regulations by heart. You must know how buildings are usually constructed and how they were constructed in the past. You must know which kind of problem every type of construction has. You must be able to make basic calculations about damp and water. And you must have a real good base of practical experience with building.
If you have got all this, then you still may have bad luck and the timber just in your case moulded away because of the new insulation - for that reason you need a good insurance.
If you have all this and a good insurance then go for it! Search a mob of people, because alone it's a bit difficult, you must know about all the jobs. Or maybe you concentrate simply on one thing, like insulation hot water pipes (very easy, everyone could do it alone) or blowing paper insulation into walls (as a subcontractor), or insulating basement ceilings, or doing just calculations how much could be saved if this or that would be insulated.
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby WisJim » Mon 12 Jan 2009, 16:50:00

Info on Federal tax credits for home energy improvements
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=p ... ax_credits
WisJim
Expert
Expert

Return to Conservation & Efficiency