Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

52% Of U.S. Energy CFOs Disagree That World Has Reached PO

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

52% Of U.S. Energy CFOs Disagree That World Has Reached PO

Unread postby Graeme » Tue 13 Jan 2009, 22:50:46

Slight Majority Of U.S. Energy CFOs Disagree That World Has Reached Peak Oil

Approximately 48% of U.S. E&P chief financial officers believe that the world has reached its peak petroleum production rate or will reach it within the next few years, while another 52% disagree with that statement, according to a new survey by Chicago-based national professional services firm BDO Seidman LLP.

The survey finds there are similarly differing opinions in predictions regarding when the world’s demand for petroleum will peak—31% believe it will be in less than 10 years, 43% believe it will be in 10 to 20 years, 14% believe it will be 20 to 30 years and 8% think it will reach peak more than 30 years from now.

oilandgasinvestor
Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. H. G. Wells.
Fatih Birol's motto: leave oil before it leaves us.
Graeme
Fusion
Fusion

Re: 52% Of U.S. Energy CFOs Disagree That World Has Reached

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 14 Jan 2009, 02:31:58

Amazing that 48% of CFOs think the world is essentially at peak oil.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ZombieMalthus » Wed 14 Jan 2009, 04:07:17

Plantagenet wrote:Amazing that 48% of CFOs think the world is essentially at peak oil.

Yeah, I was gonna say... the REAL story is that 48% think we've peaked... wow

We're through the looking glass, people
ZombieMalthus
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Concerned » Wed 14 Jan 2009, 04:40:31

Plantagenet wrote:Amazing that 48% of CFOs think the world is essentially at peak oil.

I would have thought anything over 5% would have been amazing. But 48% is incredible.

NOW out of the 48% how many see a Jetson's future (onwards and upwards) V say Mad Max (descent back to low energy lifestyle)?
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."
-Italian Proverb
Concerned
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Wed 14 Jan 2009, 11:17:54

I can answer that concerned: it’s zero except for the certifiable insane or the liars. I’ve been a petroleum geologist for over 30 years and can tell you the entire oil patch has been well aware of the approach of PO for most of the last 20 years. Except we’ve never used the term “PO”. It has always been the “reserve replacement issue”. Since the late 80’s we’ve known that sustained company growth could not be maintained with the drill bit except for the very few lucky and aggressive operators. At least not in the USA. The only debate was the timing. That’s why I think their poll could have been more meaningful if the question was: will the industry be able to continue to meet demand in the long term? Take the timing issue off the table and those execs would have been all the more uncomfortable answering.

I spent much of the 90’s involved with production acquisition and divestiture. Essentially the big companies were selling of fields to smaller ones to generate cash flow. The smaller companies could establish reserve growth with more acquisitions since they were often unable to do the same with the drill bit. One of the great handicaps the oil patch has suffered for at least the last 20 years has been the shorted sighted effort focused on y-o-y reserve base growth. The stock market has insisted that companies be evaluated by this parameter over all others….often including profitability. Growth was everything. I’ve seen more then one company pay much more then a field was worth because they were desperate to show a reserve base addition even if the acquisition never recovered its cost. Think of it as the sub prime of the oil patch. I know that seems insane but those were the rules that Wall Street required us to play. Break the rule and your stock value would be talked down. The surge in unconventional NG drilling in the last few years has been, to a degree, fueled by this rule. The rapid decline rates (and the loss of reserve base) of these plays requires an ever increasing drilling rate to maintain reserve growth. But now many of these operators (including my current client) are cutting back significantly. IMO they are taking advantage of the fallen stock market (including energy stocks) to NOT replace production with new reserves. NG prices have softened somewhat but not anywhere to the degree oil prices have dropped. Oddly enough, the associated decrease in drilling cost (as perhaps as much as 50% of the NG drilling rigs are idled) may actually provide much improved profitability for wells drilled in 2009 then seen in 2008 even if prices stay soft.

That’s why you have to take public statements by oil execs with a big grain of salt. Not one can afford to admit that his company’s growth (over the next decade or two) will at best be flat and more likely in a somewhat continuous contraction. But don’t judge them too harshly: if you were a shareholder you would insist on him maintaining the illusion…at least until you sold you shares. I am also surprised with the percentage who acknowledged PO was even a valid concept. I suspect they are also taking advantage of their current weakened value to start a mild thread of reality.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Return to Peak Oil Discussion