Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Newspapers in trouble

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Newspapers in trouble

Unread postby Ferretlover » Fri 16 Jan 2009, 20:27:48

Guild Responds to 'Star Tribune' Bankruptcy Notice
By E&P Staff Published: Jan 16, 2009:
NEW YORK Graydon Royce, co-chairman of the MInneapolis Star Tribune's unit of the guild, said he learned of the paper's Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing when another employee called him about 8:15 p.m. last night.
"The Newspaper Guild was given no heads up at all," Royce said, according to an article in today's edition of the paper. "We have to get a lawyer and financial expert to represent us in any proceedings that happen. Beyond that, we just don't know what's going to transpire. …

article

'Eugene Register-Guard' Asks Unions for Wage, Benefits Concessions Published: Jan 16, 2009 4:03 PM ET
EUGENE, Ore. Publisher Tony Baker says the Eugene Register-Guard is asking its unions for wage and benefits concessions so the paper can return to profitability.
He says the company lost several million dollars in 2008, "and it's imperative it never happen again."
The newspaper cut 32 full-time positions last year, mostly through buyouts and attrition. ..

Associated Press
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Re: Newspapers in trouble

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 16 Jan 2009, 22:44:30

I'm a newspaper fanatic. When I travel to places that have newspapers I always try to buy and read several newspapers a day, just for the pleasure of relaxing with a real paper. However, the mass media has largely become homogenized --- virtually every paper in the US has the exact same liberal drone "PC" editorial slant on their news headlines and editorial page.

That kind of groupthink is boring.

Except for the Wall Street Journal, and the San Diego and Salt Lake CIty papers, there isn't any "there" there anymore.....all the rest are mindless clones of the New York Times and WaPo.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: Newspapers in trouble

Unread postby DaleFromCalgary » Sat 17 Jan 2009, 10:10:18

This is the Internet killing them, and the Panic of 2008 is just administering the coup de grace. Newspapers made their big money from classified ads but Craigslist destroyed that market, job hunting ads and searches are now online, and the news content is whatever was on Reuters or AP the day before. I haven't bought a newspaper since 9/11, and that one only as a souvenir of the day.
DaleFromCalgary
Peat
Peat

Return to North America Discussion