Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Hyundaii: if you lose your job, you can give car back

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Hyundaii: if you lose your job, you can give car back

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 18 Jan 2009, 12:47:35

I saw an ad on on tv and my jaw dropped.. how bizarre, advertising new cars with the selling point being you can give it back if you lose your job!

I wonder if this will be a new trend in lending. If you fall out of the middleclass into the underclass, you can just give your toys back no harm no foul. Is that supposed to be comforting? *scratches head

Did a quick google and here's a link:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Hyundai Motor America is taking aim at Americans' worries about job security: If you buy a new Hyundai and lose your job within a year, you can give it back.

"In this uncertain economy, we are looking for ways to reassure shoppers that Hyundai still represents the best value in the auto industry," said John Krafcik, president and chief executive of Hyundai Motor America, the U.S. arm of the South Korea-based automaker, in a company statement.

"If you find that you cannot make your payment because of a covered life changing event, we'll allow you to return your vehicle and walk away from your loan obligation - and in most cases we will cover most, if not all of the difference," the carmaker's Web site says.

With no extra charge to the sticker price, the program pays the difference between the car's trade-in value at the time the owner files a claim and any remaining balance on the loan up to a maximum of $7,500.

Hyundai is offering the program because its own market research showed car shoppers weren't attracted by rebates and other more normal incentives, said Joel Ewanick, Hyundai America's vice president for marketing. People are simply too worried about making payments no matter how good the deal is, he said.

Link
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Hyundaii: if you lose your job, you can give car back

Unread postby timmac » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 22:38:37

Read the fine print,, if you drive over 10,000 miles per year there will be a milage charge,, cleaning and detail price will also be added and not to mention any body or mech damage will also be billed to you,, there is no free lunch...
timmac
Permanently Banned

Unread postby emailking » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 01:02:36

It's not a free lunch anyway since you are taking the risk that you do not lose your job. (I'm sure involuntary release without cause is required to qualify.)
emailking
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby seldom_seen » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 01:10:50

What if you lose your job, then eventually find a better job that pays more? Do you get the car back with custom rims, tricked out suspension and booming sound system?

seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 08:36:36

Sixstrings wrote:I saw an ad on on tv and my jaw dropped.. how bizarre, advertising new cars with the selling point being you can give it back if you lose your job!

I wonder if this will be a new trend in lending. If you fall out of the middleclass into the underclass, you can just give your toys back no harm no foul. Is that supposed to be comforting? *scratches head

I think it is brilliant marketing, it is a far far better thing to give the car back and be unemployed and carless than it is to have a car repossessed and auctioned and be responsible for the differance in the auction price and the remaining loan ballance. When the auction companies sell a repossessed car they only care abot a quick sale, not getting the best possible price, because they are not losing anything in the process. The borrower is the only one who loses (assuming the loan is not written off).
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to North America Discussion