PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Sotherby Homes

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Sotherby Homes

Unread postby bratticus » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 11:06:52

This is messed up.

Homeowners burdened by homebuilder's money woes

... Michael Garver moved into his new Sotherby home two months ago. Within the past two weeks, letters started arriving in the mail from subcontractors threatening to put liens on his house and demanding thousands of dollars. ... "It's certainly frustrating to have people coming after you for things that you — in your mind — have already paid for," Garver said.

background

High-end Plano homebuilder suspends some operations

... "national lenders have severely curtailed financing to builders such as Sotherby due to the recent economic crisis." ... Almost two dozen North Texas homebuilders have gone out of business during the last two years because of declining sales and reduced construction. ...
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Re: Sotherby Homes

Unread postby RdSnt » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 13:17:10

It's call a "Builder's Lien" and is a very useful tool for sub-contractors who usually don't have the resources to force a general contractor to pay the bills owed.
The home owner isn't being chased by the sub-contractors for money. What the lien does is freezes the funds that would normally go to the general contractor until he pays what he owes to the sub-contractors.
Gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer.
Everything is coincident.
Love: the state of suspended anticipation.
To get any appreciable distance from the Earth in
a sensible amount of time, you must lie.
RdSnt
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bratticus » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 13:31:43

RdSnt wrote:It's call a "Builder's Lien" and is a very useful tool for sub-contractors who usually don't have the resources to force a general contractor to pay the bills owed.
The home owner isn't being chased by the sub-contractors for money. What the lien does is freezes the funds that would normally go to the general contractor until he pays what he owes to the sub-contractors.

I'm not against the sub-contractors. They have every right to their money.

The fact that buyers of high-end homes are involved in such a mess is more of what I'm interested in.

Besides if you really want to complain about the content of the article I suggest you go to the source of the article.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Ludi » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 13:46:27

Oh my god! 8O
Ludi

Return to Economics & Finance