DJIA Falls Below 8000

Unread postby bratticus » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 16:29:03

Well?
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Re: DJIA Falls Below 8000

Unread postby biofuel13 » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 16:42:07

Merge with the stock markets current news please mods. Thanks
"With man gone will there be hope for gorilla? With gorilla gone will there be hope for man?" --Ishmael by D. Quinn
biofuel13
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby bratticus » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 16:58:05

Stocks tumble on fresh worries about banks

NEW YORK (AP) -- The dawn of the Obama presidency could not shake Wall Street from its dejection over the banking industry's growing problems.'

*Spit Take*

[flash width=425 height=344]http://www.youtube.com/v/-tPePpMxJaA[/flash]

``In the face of our common dangers, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words. With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come. Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations.'' -- Guess Who?
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby bratticus » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 17:34:49

Herbert Hoover must be green with envy.

Lie to me about how it's all not so, thanks.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Heineken » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 17:45:18

I think Dow 5000 or even 3000 is a strong possibility later this year.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 19:45:48

Heineken wrote:I think Dow 5000 or even 3000 is a strong possibility later this year.

Negative Numbers. Companies will pay you to take their stock.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 20:11:05

Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end

I wasn't pleased with the speech. I think he missed an oppurtunity to lay out some really bold plans. I don't like the way that the cornerstones of the campaign have been watered down -- a committment to universal healthcare has now morphed to a more nebulous concern over "the cost of healthcare," for example.

I would have rather seen some more FDR robustness. That man came to office with some thunder -- in his inauguration, he promised to do what it takes to end the economic woes, even that meant dissolving Congress (implied threat, but it worked).

What were we told today? Oh yeah, we've been advised to "put away childish things." I don't quite get that.. isn't childish frivolity the foundation of our consumerist economy?
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Heineken » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 20:23:39

I didn't bother listening to the speech but you are not the first thoughtful person I've heard report that it was disappointing, Sixstrings.

Like I've said, he's one of them now. Very intoxicating.
"Actually, humans died out long ago."
---Abused, abandoned hunting dog

"Things have entered a stage where the only change that is possible is for things to get worse."
---I & my bro.
Heineken
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Byron100 » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 20:46:32

Heineken wrote:I didn't bother listening to the speech but you are not the first thoughtful person I've heard report that it was disappointing, Sixstrings.

Concur about the speech...what a bunch of canned drivel...LOL. Balm for the masses and not much more. I'd been a fool to actually expect something original from that man.

And all the Inaugural pomp and circumstance as the market tumbled below 8000 bore an eerie resemblance to Rome's final days...
Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide...
...and the meek shall inherit the Earth!
Byron100
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby charliebrownout » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 20:49:38

Byron100 wrote:
Heineken wrote:I didn't bother listening to the speech but you are not the first thoughtful person I've heard report that it was disappointing, Sixstrings.

Concur about the speech...what a bunch of canned drivel...LOL. Balm for the masses and not much more. I'd been a fool to actually expect something original from that man.

And all the Inaugural pomp and circumstance as the market tumbled below 8000 bore an eerie resemblance to Rome's final days...

All we're missing are some led pipes and some Visigoths...
charliebrownout
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby DJSNOLA » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 20:50:33

I just think many people were way to optimistic about Barack. Sure hes better then Bush, but the problems we have are severe and no one has the motivation to really deal with it! Im here on a convention in Las Vegas. The place is pretty depressing these days. Every employee is so thankful we are here! its so strange to be constantly thanked for traveling somewhere.
DJSNOLA
Peat
Peat

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 21:08:28

One of the most amazing quotes of his in the speech was when he said that we will defend our "way of life", which is reminiscent of Cheney's "our way of life is non-negotiable".

We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you.
Last edited by 3aidlillahi on Tue 20 Jan 2009, 21:14:53, edited 1 time in total.
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby idiom » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 21:11:54

That could have been any one of Bush's speeches.

Obama has zero leadership to draw on, he isn't going anywhere, but for now he will try and keep us here, if he can.
The world ends without a tragedy,Time is melting into history
The sky is falling, Voices crying out in desperation
Hear them calling, Everybody, save yourself
idiom
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 21:20:04

DJSNOLA wrote:I just think many people were way to optimistic about Barack. Sure hes better then Bush, .

That remains to be seen. We have no evidence to base that on or evidence against it. Lets hope you are right but don't count on it.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby lawnchair » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 21:34:51

3aidlillahi wrote:One of the most amazing quotes of his in the speech was when he said that we will defend our "way of life", which is reminiscent of Cheney's "our way of life is non-negotiable".

We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you.

I'm probably as strong an Obama supporter as this board has, and I'll admit that line was deeply cringe-inducing.
At 1% annual growth, human bodies will incorporate every gram in the observable universe in approximately 10,170 years.
lawnchair
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby FloridaGirl » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 21:37:06

I thought it was an excellent speech. I did cringe on the "We will not apologize for our way of life," statement. I think we should apologize for our overconsumption. But then the following phrase made it sound like he was talking about freedom and democracy. But who would think we should apologize for that?
FloridaGirl
Peat
Peat

Unread postby DJSNOLA » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 22:24:35

Seemed like alot of empty rhetoric to me! Although, Ive never been one thats impressed by simple vagueries in speeches. If I were Barack I would be working overtime to reduce expectations!
DJSNOLA
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Snowrunner » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 00:39:25

FloridaGirl wrote:I thought it was an excellent speech. I did cringe on the "We will not apologize for our way of life," statement. I think we should apologize for our overconsumption. But then the following phrase made it sound like he was talking about freedom and democracy. But who would think we should apologize for that?

The "beauty" in this sentence is that you can read into it whatever you want. It's spongy and you can't really grab it.

Personally I found the speech rather uninspiring. His acceptance speech had much more fire and verve than this one.

But then again, over the last few weeks he already started to "lower" the expectations by being in general much less re-assuring / firm about his position.
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby MonteQuest » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 00:42:19

bratticus wrote:Well?

Guess all those that bought at the "bottom" are going to lose their shorts.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby TheDude » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 01:43:22

I found this noteworthy:

Our health care is too costly; our schools fail too many; and each day brings further evidence that the ways we use energy strengthen our adversaries and threaten our planet.

To the people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourish and let clean waters flow; to nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds. And to those nations like ours that enjoy relative plenty, we say we can no longer afford indifference to the suffering outside our borders; nor can we consume the world's resources without regard to effect. For the world has changed, and we must change with it.

"We must change" vs. "We will not apologize for our way of life." Parse these minutiae as you see fit.
Cogito, ergo non satis bibivi
And let me tell you something: I dig your work.
TheDude
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Economics & Finance