Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Help with a speech about how to solve the economic crisis.

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Help with a speech about how to solve the economic crisis.

Unread postby Kristen » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 21:06:00

Dear Forum members,

I have to give a persuasive speech on how to solve the economic crisis but I don't know where to start. Ban the federal reserve? new currencies? calling debt even and making it a public utility are my three main points I've decided so far. What do you think?

-Kristen
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Help with a speech about how to solve the economic crisi

Unread postby Maddog78 » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 21:09:08

Wow, that's a helluva assignment.
Good luck getting advice here since many think we are farked.
When you're done your paper you should send it to the new POTUS.
He can use all the help he can get!
Maddog78
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Kristen » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 21:13:57

Maddog78 wrote:Wow, that's a helluva assignment.
Good luck getting advice here since many think we are farked.
When you're done your paper you should send it to the new POTUS.
He can use all the help he can get!

We need to use critical thinking to solve the problem, its mathematical
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Kristen » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 21:23:24

one more thing i should mention is that its for a college course I have to take for my degree.
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby blukatzen » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 21:50:18

Kristen wrote:one more thing i should mention is that its for a college course I have to take for my degree.

First off, before asking us what *we* think, let's see what YOU think, and then we'll flesh it out from there.

Blu
blukatzen
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Carlhole » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 21:59:08

Kristen wrote:Dear Forum members,

I have to give a persuasive speech on how to solve the economic crisis but I don't know where to start. Ban the federal reserve? new currencies? calling debt even and making it a public utility are my three main points I've decided so far. What do you think?

-Kristen

I read this woman's book, "Web of Debt", and I arranged for her to appear on KMO's C-Realm Podcast (she actually sounds better in print than in person, mainly because currencies, banking, and economics is difficult to learn about in simple discussion. You need visuals too.

She's very accessible via email and loves to talk about the very subject you are interested in. She recently wrote an article about how to solve the current economic crisis; it was posted over at www.GlobalResearch.ca

Send Ellen an email at [email protected] and tell her Carl sent you.
Carlhole

Unread postby Gerben » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 22:26:35

Kristen wrote:solve the economic crisis

You are talking about a crisis. What kind of crisis are we talking about? A painfull transition (to what?), a correction of imbalances (which imbalances?), a temporary deviation that needs to be fixed asap after which we can continue happily ever after?

You are talking about financial solutions. You mention 3. What do you think are the problems that caused the crisis? You should convince your public about the causes of the crisis, before they can believe that your solutions will adress the problems.

It's your speach, so you should come up with the solution. I can ask some questions, to prepare you, but it's yours to find an answer. The solution might not be desirable.

Do you believe the US can continue to consume more than it produces?
If the US cannot consume at the same level, who's going to buy the big cars and other fancy stuff that are made in the US? Should the US government give these companies money to keep these factories open? Should the US government give money to US banks to keep them open if US citizens have no money to put on the bank?
Do you think your new system will trick foreigners into lending the US money again? Why would they export goods and expect to get something back if your solution to debt is calling the debt even?

If debt is 'a utility' then would people still be able to own capital goods? Would people still be able to gather personal wealth? If no, then how do you prevent the same problems that happened in communist states, if yes, how would you prevent the creation of a non-public parallel money system based on this personal 'wealth'?
Gerben
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Location: Holland, Belgica Foederata (Republic of the Seven United Netherlands)

Unread postby Schmuto » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 22:47:42

I'd start at Marbury v. Madison, but that'd be a long speech.

How about this:

There is no "solution" to the crisis, and the almost universally held belief that there is a "solution" is the most damaging part of the problem.

The 1900s were 100 years of exponential growth based on cheap energy. You can do a simple mathematical example to show that, if the DJIA were to grow at 7.2% every year, it would have to be at 128,000 by 2050.

Exponential growth was only possible because we gobbled up the lion's share of the one-time energy boost known as fossil fuels during the "exponential growth" of the last 100 years.

Now, however, the free ride is over, and we are facing a solid ramp up in energy prices for the next 100 years. The faltering economy, the sub-prime crisis, the "credit crunch" - these are all red herrings. They distract from the larger issue, which is overpopulation and resource depletion.

As the per unit cost for energy increases, so too must GDP decline.

Understand that truism, and you're on your way to understanding why there is no "solution" to the "problem", unless by "solution" you mean - "adjusting to having ever less, because that's all that's going to be available."
Schmuto
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby nero » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 02:54:40

There is no "crisis" if by "crisis" you mean a sudden problem that needs to be addressed quickly. The economic problems have been compounding for a generation while we have delayed working our way out of debt. The deleveraging that is going on right now is painful but necessary.

Talk about solutions to the "financial crisis" are mostly about how to quickly halt the deleveraging which is exactly the opposite to what we need to do. The government needs to speed up the write downs and facilitate the clearing out of the hard to price assets that are stinking up the banker's books. Speed up the process of forclosure; speed up bankruptcy; then speed it up even further by devaluing the currency. Once the debts are mostly destroyed by either write-downs or by being paid off with a devalued currency, then people will be able to profitably start rebuilding the financial industry.

This may take a few years to do, and it will be very painful to equity and debt holders who will see their false paper profits disappear as if they had invested with Madoff; but it will in the end benefit people who work for a living, the very people who have failed to benefit from the last 20 years of productivity growth.
Biofuels: The "What else we got to burn?" answer to peak oil.
nero
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mefistofeles » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 03:46:35

The solution to the economic crisis is quite obvious: just let it run its course.

By allowing the market to sort things out we allow the system balance itself out.

The problem we had is that home borrowers in the United States,UK and Ireland accumulated too much debt.

By allowing all the borrowers to go under we allow the system to cleanse itself of any excessive debt.

Actually realistically the best solution is what's known as a Haircut . Lenders simply to have to accept whatever the borrowers can pay them.

The problem with all our bailouts is that the banks and financial institutions are going to go bankrupt anyway because their underlying "assets" (commercial and residential mortgages) are bad. Giving banks more money only means that they will tread water for a longer period of time.

That's the problem with Paulson's original TARP proposal. Is that even if you buy distressed mortgages they're still distressed mortgages, in other words a turnip is still a turnip is still a turnip now matter how many billions of dollars you pay for it.

If the TARP program had gone through as original envisioned the bad assets would have simply moved from the private sector's balance sheets' to the government's. Homeowners would still be unable to make their mortgages and the mortgage market would still be in crisis.

Aside from massive inflation the only way to take care of this problem is to tell the companies,governments and central banks that bought all these mortgage backed securities that they need to take a loss. At this stage things aren't too bad so I can't see lenders eating more than 25-30% of their investment. In Argentina bond investors had to take a 73% haircut so the situation could be much worse.

Of course writing down mortgage backed securities 25% will ruin the pensions funds,insurance companies and all the other people who bought these products. Ironically this would probably be the least painful course of action.

The other solution ,which the Obama administration seems dead set on is hyperinflation . So far the demand for Treasury assets seems quite strong so for a while America can keep on borrowing to spend more money.

After a while however at some point foreign investors will tire of Treasuries. At this point the Federal Reserve will become the buyer of last resort for US Government bonds. Right now the Fed has the right to engage in open market operations . Where it goes into the marketplace and buys bonds,injecting liquidity into the economy.

At some point if there aren't enough foreign buyers for US bonds the Federal Reserve may become the buyer of last resort.

In the meantime I expect further government intervention in the banking sector and an effective Nationalization of the entire banking sector. The government's becoming too impatient with the banks unwillingness to lend and will eventually take them over and use them to force feed the financial system. Maybe they'll buy "shares" but in effect the government will take over the banks. The United States will follow in the United Kingdom's steps and nationalize the entire banking sector .

The end result will be massive Zimbabwe style inflation.

So in the end a depression and a massive reordering of the financial sector isn't such a bad thing,compared to the alternatives.
mefistofeles
Coal
Coal

Unread postby nero » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 18:31:23

I think mefistofeles analysis is very good, the only place i would take real exception is the jump to hyperinflation. Hyperinflation isn't the inevitable form of inflation. 1970s 10% a year inflation wasn't hyperinflation and didn't lead to hyperinflation but it did do a job on the debt held by consumers. My Dad bought his house in the early 70s for 35,000, now it's worth $250,000. Inflation only leads to hyperinflation if the government starts relying on it to finance their spending. The United States has a large ability to reduce spending(axe the military in half and it would still be the mightiest force on the planet) or increase their tax rate (one of the lowest in the developed world), so at some point once the inflation has resolved the debt problem the US should be able to rein it in. There isn't any painless solution, you get to choose between the pain of getting kicked in the crotch or the pain of gettiing a limb hacked off.
Biofuels: The "What else we got to burn?" answer to peak oil.
nero
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby evilgenius » Thu 22 Jan 2009, 06:04:06

-Kristen

No, no, and no is what I think.

How about take back the Fed, seek rational equilibrium in currencies and recognize that deflation swallows anyone that is in debt.

So kick the monetarists to the sidelines but still listen to them to keep you from overstepping. Follow Keynes' original proposal for Bretton Woods. Let go of the myth that inflation is the only outcome from economic activity. Do those points sound like any kind of a start?
When it comes down to it, the people will always shout, "Free Barabbas." They love Barabbas. He's one of them. He has the same dreams. He does what they wish they could do. That other guy is more removed, more inscrutable. He makes them think. "Crucify him."
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Thu 22 Jan 2009, 16:28:15

We need to use critical thinking to solve the problem, its mathematical

I would advise you not to get lost in the weeds on this speech. If the real assignment is to use mathematics and statistics in persuasive argument, then focus on that.

Otherwise, your professor should really go easy on an assignment as difficult as this. After all, the EXPERTS can't even get it straight!
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby mattduke » Thu 22 Jan 2009, 18:08:09

Let me boil it down for you:

1. Gold standard.
2. 100% reserve banking.

BTW, economics is a social science. Attempts to treat it mathematically only obscures the principles. What would you rather have, an apple or an orange? See Hayek's Nobel acceptance speech, "The Pretense Of Knowledge".
mattduke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby pablonite » Thu 22 Jan 2009, 21:15:04

Hello Kristen.

I would think just giving a persuasive speech on the "economic crises" leaving out the "how to solve" is more...persuasive.

"Your" ideas for solving the "crises" have been bandied about but you being a student and seeing the monetary system for what it is...

Debt is a weapon and interest is the ammunition so operating inside a monetary system a student is just as likely a target as a third world country.

A mass awakening to what should be known as economic slavery or some such term needs to happen years before the problem can be solved. Do you think the big hands holding the debt gun are just going to put it down because you want to solve a problem?

By the way, those big hands most likely have a very firm grip on your educational institution which is why most of your classmates will be completely ignorant of how their monetary system even works. A kick in the arse is all your really aiming for.
pablonite
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby errorist » Thu 22 Jan 2009, 21:29:16

mattduke wrote:Let me boil it down for you:

1. Gold standard.
2. 100% reserve banking.

BTW, economics is a social science. Attempts to treat it mathematically only obscures the principles. What would you rather have, an apple or an orange? See Hayek's Nobel acceptance speech, "The Pretense Of Knowledge".

Let's ban mathematic. This nasty language allows no social engineering and has tendencies to backfire if used not accordingly to laws of Nature.

(0. Confiscate gold.)
errorist
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Kristen » Fri 23 Jan 2009, 01:15:10

blukatzen wrote:
Kristen wrote:one more thing i should mention is that its for a college course I have to take for my degree.

First off, before asking us what *we* think, let's see what YOU think, and then we'll flesh it out from there.

Blu

I think we should create a new currency and use water as the commodity attached to it. We have over half the fresh water in the world here. We should nationalize the federal reserve and the treasurer would be the commander. All public debts should be forgiven, perhaps on a worldwide level. We should also remove and ban misleading propaganda that is common place right now
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Kristen » Fri 23 Jan 2009, 01:16:49

Carlhole wrote:

-Kristen

I read this woman's book, "Web of Debt", and I arranged for her to appear on KMO's C-Realm Podcast (she actually sounds better in print than in person, mainly because currencies, banking, and economics is difficult to learn about in simple discussion. You need visuals too.

She's very accessible via email and loves to talk about the very subject you are interested in. She recently wrote an article about how to solve the current economic crisis; it was posted over at www.GlobalResearch.ca

Send Ellen an email at [email protected] and tell her Carl sent you.

Thanks Carl, you can count on it!
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Kristen » Fri 23 Jan 2009, 01:22:09

Gerben wrote:
Kristen wrote:solve the economic crisis

You are talking about a crisis. What kind of crisis are we talking about? A painfull transition (to what?), a correction of imbalances (which imbalances?), a temporary deviation that needs to be fixed asap after which we can continue happily ever after?

You are talking about financial solutions. You mention 3. What do you think are the problems that caused the crisis? You should convince your public about the causes of the crisis, before they can believe that your solutions will adress the problems.

It's your speach, so you should come up with the solution. I can ask some questions, to prepare you, but it's yours to find an answer. The solution might not be desirable.

Do you believe the US can continue to consume more than it produces?
If the US cannot consume at the same level, who's going to buy the big cars and other fancy stuff that are made in the US? Should the US government give these companies money to keep these factories open? Should the US government give money to US banks to keep them open if US citizens have no money to put on the bank?
Do you think your new system will trick foreigners into lending the US money again? Why would they export goods and expect to get something back if your solution to debt is calling the debt even?

If debt is 'a utility' then would people still be able to own capital goods? Would people still be able to gather personal wealth? If no, then how do you prevent the same problems that happened in communist states, if yes, how would you prevent the creation of a non-public parallel money system based on this personal 'wealth'?

The "Crisis" is a colage of fraud, currency manipulation, and tons of other stuff and I do plan to give a brief history.

The public debt would be highly monitored. Loans for necessities would be allowed only. No more using credit for new plasma screens and things you don't need. In the business world a business could only recieve loans if they benefited the population as a whole.
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Kristen » Fri 23 Jan 2009, 01:30:40

Schmuto wrote:I'd start at Marbury v. Madison, but that'd be a long speech.

How about this:

There is no "solution" to the crisis, and the almost universally held belief that there is a "solution" is the most damaging part of the problem.

The 1900s were 100 years of exponential growth based on cheap energy. You can do a simple mathematical example to show that, if the DJIA were to grow at 7.2% every year, it would have to be at 128,000 by 2050.

Exponential growth was only possible because we gobbled up the lion's share of the one-time energy boost known as fossil fuels during the "exponential growth" of the last 100 years.

Now, however, the free ride is over, and we are facing a solid ramp up in energy prices for the next 100 years. The faltering economy, the sub-prime crisis, the "credit crunch" - these are all red herrings. They distract from the larger issue, which is overpopulation and resource depletion.

As the per unit cost for energy increases, so too must GDP decline.

Understand that truism, and you're on your way to understanding why there is no "solution" to the "problem", unless by "solution" you mean - "adjusting to having ever less, because that's all that's going to be available."

Of course sacraficeswill be made by everyone. We already have too many things as it is. life is suffering and for the last twenty years we've drifted along like a housewife who takes here three benzos a day, and the world is ok. People need to be retaught there responsibility. Also perhaps groups of states should start coordinating trade between themselves. The FederalGov is too bloated like the vista os. States are easier to mannage and more effecient. groups of states would be somewhere in between.
Kristen
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to North America Discussion