Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Looking back eight years to another inaugural address

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Looking back eight years to another inaugural address

Unread postby Denny » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 22:49:42

Just thought it of interest to look back on the inaugural speech of the guy who went home in Air Force One today. Words as inspiring and noble as Barack Obama's today.
Whatever happened? Image

See Revolution to Reconstruction for the whole speech, this is a set of selected statements: "The grandest of these ideals is an unfolding American promise that everyone belongs, that everyone deserves a chance, that no insignificant person was ever born.
... While many of our citizens prosper, others doubt the promise, even the justice, of our own country. The ambitions of some Americans are limited by failing schools and hidden prejudice and the circumstances of their birth. And sometimes our differences run so deep, it seems we share a continent, but not a country.

We do not accept this, and we will not allow it. Our unity, our union, is the serious work of leaders and citizens in every generation. And this is my solemn pledge: I will work to build a single nation of justice and opportunity. We are bound by ideals that move us beyond our backgrounds, lift us above our interests and teach us what it means to be citizens. Every child must be taught these principles. Every citizen must uphold them. And every immigrant, by embracing these ideals, makes our country more, not less, American.

... America, at its best, matches a commitment to principle with a concern for civility. A civil society demands from each of us good will and respect, fair dealing and forgiveness.
... Civility is not a tactic or a sentiment. It is the determined choice of trust over cynicism, of community over chaos. And this commitment, if we keep it, is a way to shared accomplishment.
... Together, we will reclaim America's schools, before ignorance and apathy claim more young lives.

We will reform Social Security and Medicare, sparing our children from struggles we have the power to prevent. And to all nations, we will speak for the values that gave our nation birth. America, at its best, is compassionate. In the quiet of American conscience, we know that deep, persistent poverty is unworthy of our nation's promise.

... What you do is as important as anything government does. I ask you to seek a common good beyond your comfort; to defend needed reforms against easy attacks; to serve your nation, beginning with your neighbor. I ask you to be citizens: citizens, not spectators; citizens, not subjects; responsible citizens, building communities of service and a nation of character.

... Never tiring, never yielding, never finishing, we renew that purpose today, to make our country more just and generous, to affirm the dignity of our lives and every life."
Denny
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Looking back eight years to another inaugural address

Unread postby Consensi » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 23:01:51

Denny wrote: Whatever happened? Image

He was a lying piece of Expletive deleted..
Consensi
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Sixstrings » Tue 20 Jan 2009, 23:30:06

Honestly, I think the art of presidential speechwriting is all about the appearance of substance without actually saying anything at all.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby frankthetank » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 00:37:16

I can't listen to these speeches. I caught just a snippet on TV today and turned the channel immediately. I have no hope from the new president, as i did with the previous ones. These guys are there to enrich their sponsors and themselves. You'll see in 4 years.
lawns should be outlawed.
frankthetank
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby hardtootell » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 00:58:53

Once you wear the "one ring" you are corrupted. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Despite a lifetime of seeing decline and corruption, I cannot help but be hopeful that BHO can be the man his daughters would be proud of.

May God Bless America!
hardtootell
Peat
Peat

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 01:56:01

I'm not going to violate Godwin's law, but lets just say they used all the tried and true propaganda tools with only minor tweaks to the script used in the 1930s. Why? They were after free oil, not the the Sudatenland.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 05:12:27

The all-propaganda-all-the-time approach became overwhelming in Iraq, but people sort of took it for granted. And the self contradictory content even serves as a litmus test to bind together the group. Then came Katrina, and the propaganda machine tried to churn right through that crisis, which horrified America. Bush's recent comment that Katrina was merely a PR failure shows that they failed to understand the idea of actually doing anything useful but were only concerned with "creating reality" for their benefit. In addition to all the dead soldiers and US civilians was the pervasive outright theft and the deluge of drug addicts, child molesters, swindlers, and religious lunatics who were sent on an ideological mission to undermine federal agencies. The propaganda-as-reality has left the GOP with a core of people who embrace propaganda exclusively and reject any objective reality, which history has shown to >15% of the population. They are increasingly paranoid and isolated.
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby IgnoranceIsBliss » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 11:37:20

"citizens, not subjects"

ha ha ha ha ha ha ROFL
IgnoranceIsBliss
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 21 Jan 2009, 14:10:07

"Go Shopping"

-George Bush
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby mefistofeles » Thu 22 Jan 2009, 04:43:27

I disagree with many people who think Bush was someone who had bad intentions. I think at heart Bush is a good man. Its just that when you have people like Cheney running the show and don't have your own support system bad things are bound to happen.

Cheney built an entire command structure that in some ways superceded and went around the presidency.

I'm not saying Bush isn't responsible for what happened but I believe as a human being he had good intentions and at times tried to do the right thing.

I think that most folks folks who don't read peakoil or who don't know what's out there its very difficult to get reliable information. When you have someone like Cheney feeding you info more often than CNN without other sources I think bad things are bound to happen.

Also we have to understand America's decline has been in the making for decades, even as back as the 1980's we understood that the country's path simply sustainable

Look at all the things that happened on his watch that he limited control over: the controlled demolition of WTCs' 1,2 and 7.

The collapse of the financial system.

I feel that Bush was and still is at heart a good man who made some awful choices. He's also nothing more than a milestone on the road collapse.
mefistofeles
Coal
Coal

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Thu 22 Jan 2009, 11:00:36

Consensi wrote:He was a lying piece of Expletive deleted

Me thinks its a prerequisite for the job. I find it particularly humorous that he talks about reforming Medicare to help future generations. All that he managed to do for Medicare was to add drug coverage without any sort of plan for how future generations were going to pay for it.

Obviously all of Obama's promises are going to look just as preposterous in retrospect. We will convert the country to running off wind and sun when hell freezes over.

Equally laughable was the bit about making healthcare cheaper by using more of "technology's wonders". Obviously he hasn't figured out that "technology's wonders" are what make healthcare so bloody expensive already.
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Return to North America Discussion