Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now

Unread postby bratticus » Fri 23 Jan 2009, 17:52:35

Desperate Homeowners Call For Moratorium on Foreclosures
Fight to End Weekly Home Auctions

By Carisa Giardino
Hicksville Illustrated News
January 23, 2009

Nearly 5,000 foreclosed homes were scheduled for auction in 2008 on Long Island alone. With that number likely on the rise in 2009, dozens of families, including some who believe they fell victim to "predatory lenders," rallied on the steps of the county's Supreme Court building Jan. 13, calling for an end to weekly foreclosure auctions and a moratorium on all home foreclosures in New York State to enable residents a grace period to seek refinancing options.

Protesters made their presence known at the Jan. 13 auction, where more than 30 homes were sold, marching on the court steps and chanting "stop the auction now."

Over the next several weeks, the ACORN (Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now) organization will deploy its "Stop the Foreclosures Now" campaign to challenge the banks, and government, to make changes for the better.

... snip ...

I don't care what we said when we signed the deed.

We are entitled to things we cannot and could not ever afford.

Oh, don't ask why...
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Re: Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now

Unread postby centralstump » Fri 23 Jan 2009, 18:34:59

The squeaky wheel . . . . .

Seriously, we live in a country where we are encouraged to ask for things we don't deserve.

Salesmen call it, "Making sure we don't leave anything on the table."

Lawyers call it, "Aggressive Advocacy."

Bankers call it, "bailout."

Now homeowners are calling it, "help."

I call it, "stealing."
centralstump
Peat
Peat

Unread postby vision-master » Fri 23 Jan 2009, 18:37:22

I call it, "stealing."

From who. The Banksters?
vision-master

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Fri 23 Jan 2009, 19:10:56

ACORN ? Now where have I heard that name before???

Oh yeah.....Voter Fraud, Extortion and Obama' roots.

Obama and ACORN: You Can Run, But You Can’t Hide

"By the 1980s, ACORN was expanding its horizons from voter registration to housing. In 1977, President Jimmy Carter signed the Community Redevelopment Act (CRA), which, in retrospect, was the opening wedge for what now threatens to become a government takeover of all housing in America. Under Carter’s administration, the domestic Peace Corps government entity VISTA, Volunteers in Service to America, gave a federal grant of $470,000 to ACORN to train volunteers to help low-income citizens. A later congressional investigation found that ACORN illegally used this money for labor organizing.

President Carter’s CRA and related laws were repeatedly expanded to require lending institutions to avoid “redlining” policies that denied home loans to those in minority neighborhoods.

Obama was one of many lawyers who profited from successfully suing on grounds that discrimination was the reason an African-American was denied a home loan.

Banks and other lenders needed not only public good will but also the cooperation of government regulators to approve mergers and other business activities. Expanding laws such as CRA meant that if ACORN accused a bank of racial discrimination and unleashed protestors against it, however unjustly, that bank might suddenly face very unfriendly government regulators. Banks were thus set up to be easy victims for ACORN shakedowns, and paying protection money became necessary for bank survival.

“The same corporations that pay ransom to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton pay ransom to ACORN,” said Robert L. Woodson, President of the National Center for Neighborhood Enterprise. "
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby lawnchair » Fri 23 Jan 2009, 19:29:46

Seriously? You're expecting me to believe that, during 12 years of GOP control of Congress, multinational multibillion dollar banks, each with lobbying accounts larger than ACORN's entire budget, were so terrified of these little, largely volunteer, groups, and a Democratic minority who were physically locked out of Banking Committee meetings, that they restructured their businesses into the ground for them?

Seriously?

If so, then, good job ACORN. Sorry, they needed to die for gross incompetence and absence of testicles.

Now, of course, in reality, the exact same thing was happening in the UK (Northern Rock?), Spain, Dubai, etc, etc, etc. ACORN involved there, too?

How 'bout we look at some people actually involved in the mess. Were you alive to remember 2005, Grandpa? Lots of CRA loans there!
At 1% annual growth, human bodies will incorporate every gram in the observable universe in approximately 10,170 years.
lawnchair
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby bratticus » Sat 24 Jan 2009, 01:28:03

Desperate Homeowners Call For Moratorium on Foreclosures
Fight to End Weekly Home Auctions

By Carisa Giardino
Hicksville Illustrated News
January 23, 2009

... skip ...

The ACORN advocacy group supports President Barack Obama's call for a 90-day foreclosure moratorium and is urging the governor and county executive to push for mandatory mediation programs that would require lenders and borrowers to meet and work out affordable payment options. One such program already exists in Philadelphia, where 80 percent of homes scheduled for auction are now being saved.

... snip ...

In 90 more days they can be kicked out in the spring instead of the winter.
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 24 Jan 2009, 12:16:41

AlexdeLarge wrote:ACORN ? Now where have I heard that name before???

Oh yeah.....Voter Fraud, Extortion and Obama' roots.

Election's over, dude. GIve it a rest.

mos6507

Unread postby AlexdeLarge » Sat 24 Jan 2009, 13:43:25

mos6507 wrote:Election's over, dude. GIve it a rest.

But I'm having so much fun Dad!
Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.
AlexdeLarge
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Sat 24 Jan 2009, 22:10:03

AlexdeLarge wrote:But I'm having so much fun Dad!

We have ways of dealing with that.

mos6507

Return to Economics & Finance