Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Automatic Earth.

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: The Automatic Earth.

Unread postby lawnchair » Sat 24 Jan 2009, 21:21:46

I'm not sure even Obama sees past the notion of stuff and growth. I'm not sure I do. He, like so many of us, is 'educated'. For that definition, I turn to the late Ivan Illich, who noted exactly those three (education, health, transportation... I'd add spirituality) as inherent conditions of man, perverted into deranged institutions. From "Deschooling Society"...

Everywhere the hidden curriculum of schooling initiates the citizen to the myth that bureaucracies guided by scientific knowledge are efficient and benevolent. Everywhere this same curriculum instills in the pupil the myth that increased production will provide a better life. And everywhere it develops the habit of self-defeating consumption of services and alienating production, the tolerance for institutional dependence, and the recognition of institutional rankings. The hidden curriculum of school does all this in spite of contrary efforts undertaken by teachers and no matter what ideology prevails.
At 1% annual growth, human bodies will incorporate every gram in the observable universe in approximately 10,170 years.
lawnchair
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby seldom_seen » Sat 24 Jan 2009, 22:34:30

Great site. I poke around over there all the time.
But how the world turns. One day, cock of the walk. Next, a feather duster.
seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby GoghGoner » Sun 25 Jan 2009, 10:43:27

CBxer,

Those two cats are not authors of the OIl Drum. TOD decided to push them off the site since they decided financial collapse was not related to energy. I don't disagree that you have to narrow the scope sometimes.

Anyway, I read that site almost every day since most of their predictions have come somewhat true.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bratticus » Sun 25 Jan 2009, 15:22:44

GoghGoner wrote:CBxer,

Those two cats are not authors of the OIl Drum. TOD decided to push them off the site since they decided financial collapse was not related to energy. I don't disagree that you have to narrow the scope sometimes.

Anyway, I read that site almost every day since most of their predictions have come somewhat true.

When you wrote "they decided financial collapse was not related to energy" did you mean.

TOD decided financial collapse was not related to energy?
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Unread postby GoghGoner » Sun 25 Jan 2009, 15:46:18

bratticus wrote:When you wrote "they decided financial collapse was not related to energy" did you mean.

Yep. Thanks for the clarification.
GoghGoner
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby bratticus » Mon 26 Jan 2009, 14:06:32

GoghGoner wrote:
bratticus wrote:When you wrote "they decided financial collapse was not related to energy" did you mean.

Yep. Thanks for the clarification.

So at TOD it's just greedy meanies and fools at the bottom of the financial crisis?
bratticus
Permanently Banned

Return to Economics & Finance