Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Is anyone out there in Western Australia?

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Is anyone out there in Western Australia?

Unread postby Crazy_Dad » Tue 03 Feb 2009, 09:52:52

I am interested in hearing from anyone in western Australia who wants to pool resources and/or form an emergency plan for when the craziness begins.

Even just someone to bounce ideas off of with a local context would be good.

PM me if you are interested. I'm not a nutter despite being on this forum :D
Married with kids and just looking to form a community with others interested in PO, Permaculture etc.

I feel like the only one over here...
Crazy_Dad
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Is anyone out there in Western Australia?

Unread postby kpeavey » Tue 03 Feb 2009, 17:36:51

You have the experience of everyone on this site to draw from.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby aldente » Tue 03 Feb 2009, 17:46:54

response from Switzerland, pretty much the geographic antipode from where you are...
Father as well, however meanwhile mentally settled in a state of "what's to come will come anyway".

My personal theory is, that since former power politicians like Dick Cheney knew of Peak Oil, the last eight years of American politics were nothing but a desperate "pre-emtive strike" against Peak Oil. All financial implications included, Alan Greenspan steped back when he knew the house would collapse (early 2006 that was). There are always a few people that walk away from the mess in time.

Point would be???
As a father - keep going down that road that surrounds you, what else is there to do anyway?
aldente
Permanently Banned

Unread postby alokin » Tue 03 Feb 2009, 19:05:04

No, we're in the East. But recently I had a book from the library it was called something like dryland gardening (at least I found it under these search words) which was really good. It is said that we're expecting less rain as well, but we have good rainfalls at the moment.
Will Eastern Australia convert in a desert?
alokin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Tue 03 Feb 2009, 19:11:26

By the time "craziness begins" in WA, demand for halal lamb will fall so low that you'll be munching old mutton instead of cereal overthere. Seriously, what do you expect to happen? Thatv the world will run out of everything simultaneously?
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Micki » Tue 03 Feb 2009, 19:26:36

Have any of you used water retaining crystals and have an opinion on how well they work?
I.e. does it have a noticable affect that the retained water is released over a coupld of days?
How much of them do you use for a certain area to have optimal effect?

A number of years ago my mrs and I bought 20kg of that stuff directly from the mfg. and it was dirt cheap compared to retail.
We were going to use it for something else back then but I had a few kg left and have been mixing some of it into the soil at my QLD place. I'll keep the rest for the day, and may it come soon, when I move up there and install some raised beds for vegies.

For those who are interested to get some from the manufacturers I like to remember that the product was called acryllic polymer.
If you search on "water retaining polymer" you should get a fair number of hits including some from manufacturers.
They come with different granularity with the smaller of course absorbing and releasing faster, so maybe having two different grains is a good idea.
Micki

Unread postby auscanman » Tue 03 Feb 2009, 23:50:00

I lived in Perth as a young kid from 1987-1989. I'd say it's easily Australia's best city as far as quality of life goes (though I haven't been to Adelaide). It had easily the friendliest people I've encountered in the western world... hopefully that's still the case!

Water is already a major concern there and will be an even greater challenge as we venture down the slope of peak oil. For the near term, I'd say the two crappy aussie rules footy teams you have are the biggest concern!

There must be some like minded people close by. Try googling 'Perth peak oil' and similar searches, sure you'll come up with something.
auscanman
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Micki » Wed 04 Feb 2009, 00:02:53

Quick search found this group of people;
Post Oil Perth
Micki

Unread postby papa moose » Wed 17 Nov 2010, 02:42:01

Micki wrote:Quick search found this group of people;
Post Oil Perth

And a quick follow of that link takes you to a site that has nothing to do with Perth, in fact doing a word search on that site brings up two pages, the only one in English i couldn't see it's relavence to Perth.
But I no complain!

Anyway in response to the OP; g'day CrazyDad from the Perth CBD, i'm happy to compare and contrast (aka shoot the shit) re WAPO anytime u feel like. I'm online business hours only tho so don't expect any racey messaging sessions late at night.
BTW great handle, do you do horrible dad jokes too, it's my favourite part of being a father.
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby FarQ3 » Sat 22 Jan 2011, 21:21:12

Yes CrazyDad I'm from Baldivis, south of Perth.
Oils just aint oils ..... unless you believe the IEA :)
FarQ3
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dorlomin » Mon 31 Jan 2011, 16:05:22

Bit random but I worked as a farm labourer in the Gasgoine region, Canarvon.

Jesus was it ever remote. Reading the thread title made me chuckle.....
dorlomin
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby papa moose » Mon 07 Feb 2011, 20:22:50

Gascoyne Junction got destroyed in the floods just before christmas, not that it would be easy to tell the difference.
Carnarvon got flooded pretty bad too, combined with cyclone Yasi over in Queensland i wouldn't be surprised to see banana's go up to $15/kg again.
"That really annoying person you know, the one who's always spouting bullshit, the person who always thinks they're right?
Well, the odds are that for somebody else, you're that person.
So take the amount you think you know, reduce it by 99.999%, and then you'll have an idea of how much you actually know..."
papa moose
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Australia & New Zealand Discussion