Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Pink Slip Parties

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Pink Slip Parties

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 02:56:43

Pigmen Wannabees are hunting for jobs in "Pink Slip Parties" around Manhattan.

The bar was crowded with well-dressed professionals enjoying drinks and conversation, a typical evening — except that many of them had no job.

The event was a Wall Street Pink Slip Party, where the unemployed mix with recruiters and curious bystanders to network, look for work, and share their stories.

Now, besides the pathos of these folks still hobknobbing about looking for jobs that clearly will never come back in their lifetimes, how depressing must it be to attend one of these parties with everyone wearing Plastic Pink Bracelets? I shudder to think about the scene at 3AM when they are all 3 sheets to the wind wasted.

Its February now, the story has people unemployed in and around NYC since August. The Unemployment has to start running out soon, or have they extended it out indefinitely?

Anyhow, will somebody wake up these Zombies? How is it that people can be this dumb, and at the same time have held jobs that supposedly required a reasonable amount of education? Its just astounding.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Pink Slip Parties

Unread postby seldom_seen » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 03:41:32

Time for them to pack up and move back to Tuscaloosa and live in their parent's basement. We no longer have a need for "derivatives experts."

Their aging parents will need them since the "derivatives experts" wiped out their retirement funds.
But how the world turns. One day, cock of the walk. Next, a feather duster.
seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Aaron » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 10:13:44

seldom_seen wrote:Time for them to pack up and move back to Tuscaloosa and live in their parent's basement. We no longer have a need for "derivatives experts."

Their aging parents will need them since the "derivatives experts" wiped out their retirement funds.

+3

I'm reminded of the late George Carlin...

Here's another question I've been pondering -- what is all this shit about angels? Have you heard this? Three out of four people belive in angels. Are you ****ing stupid? Has everybody lost their mind? You know what I think it is? I think it's a massive, collective, psychotic chemical flashback for all the drugs smoked, swallowed, shot, and obsorbed rectally by all Americans from 1960 to 1990. Thirty years of street drugs will get you some ****ing angels, my friend!/quote]

Thirty years of Harvard business graduates will get you some ****ing greed my friend.

And just cause it's funny...

What about Goblins, huh? Doesn't anybody belive in Goblins? You never hear about this. Except on Halloween and then it's all negative shit. And what about Zombies? You never hear from Zombies! That's the trouble with Zombies, they're unreliable! I say if you're going to go for the Angel bullshit you might as well go for the Zombie package as well.

-- George Carlin, You Are All Diseased
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby Cyrus » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 11:20:39

Here's another question I've been pondering -- what is all this crap about angels? Have you heard this? Three out of four people belive in angels. Are you ****ing stupid? Has everybody lost their mind? You know what I think it is? I think it's a massive, collective, psychotic chemical flashback for all the drugs smoked, swallowed, shot, and obsorbed rectally by all Americans from 1960 to 1990. Thirty years of street drugs will get you some ****ing angels, my friend!/

Waaaat makes you think it stopped in 1990??
Cyrus
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Aaron » Sun 08 Feb 2009, 11:48:37

Cyrus wrote:Waaaat makes you think it stopped in 1990??

It was the current year...
The problem is, of course, that not only is economics bankrupt, but it has always been nothing more than politics in disguise... economics is a form of brain damage.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby TWilliam » Mon 09 Feb 2009, 00:38:28

ReverseEngineer wrote:How is it that people can be this dumb, and at the same time have held jobs that supposedly required a reasonable amount of education? Its just astounding.

Surely this is a rhetorical question on your part, RE? Certainly you recognize that 'degreed specialty' in no way necessarily equates to 'reasonably educated'. Unless perhaps one is speaking of a Liberal Arts degree (assuming it is still what it once was).

I've met countless numbers of folks with pretty certificates on their walls that were otherwise dumb as posts...

(Welllll ok... maybe not quite *that* dumb... but pretty dang close... )
"It means buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, because Kansas? Is goin' bye-bye... "
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Mon 09 Feb 2009, 02:39:06

TWilliam wrote:
ReverseEngineer wrote:How is it that people can be this dumb, and at the same time have held jobs that supposedly required a reasonable amount of education? Its just astounding.

Surely this is a rhetorical question on your part, RE? Certainly you recognize that 'degreed specialty' in no way necessarily equates to 'reasonably educated'. Unless perhaps one is speaking of a Liberal Arts degree (assuming it is still what it once was).

I've met countless numbers of folks with pretty certificates on their walls that were otherwise dumb as posts...

(Welllll ok... maybe not quite *that* dumb... but pretty dang close... )

Granted I was being a little disingenuous, I am quite aware of just how stupid and shallow many if not most of these folks are. However, it still does astound me that after MONTHS of this shti going down and more and more of their Yuppie friends all losing their jobs, they STILL are hanging around the NYC Bar Scene wearing little Pink Plastic Bracelets tryig to Network for a job? Accosting well dressed folks getting on the Staten Island Ferry in hopes of finding somebody hiring? I am sorry, this is just pathetic, and really somebody needs to make a comedy about this. Sit Com for the future: "Desperate Yuppies". Or "30-Something on Welfare". Or "Sex on Skid Row in the City". LOL.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby TWilliam » Mon 09 Feb 2009, 03:31:57

ReverseEngineer wrote:However, it still does astound me that after MONTHS of this shti going down and more and more of their Yuppie friends all losing their jobs, they STILL are hanging around the NYC Bar Scene wearing little Pink Plastic Bracelets tryig to Network for a job? Accosting well dressed folks getting on the Staten Island Ferry in hopes of finding somebody hiring?I am sorry, this is just pathetic...

Yep. Their efforts would be better spent going back to school for some kind of ag degree centered around permaculture or such. Or better yet, go find a farm and learn 'hands-on'... :twisted:

really somebody needs to make a comedy about this. Sit Com for the future: "Desperate Yuppies". Or "30-Something on Welfare". Or "Sex on Skid Row in the City". LOL.

Not sure a sitcom about Yuppies forced into working at MickeyD's, et. al. or climbing over former retirees to apply as Wallyworld greeters and cashiers would be all that entertaining. I find the 20-something 'tards and geriatrics that can't run a modern cash register that already occupy these niches in real life to be infuriating as it is. I doubt I'd find idiot 30-somethings supplanting them in such roles to be all that humorous. Wouldn't be much different from current reality, except maybe they'd be dressed a bit snappier... :lol:
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Aaron » Mon 09 Feb 2009, 06:46:26

TWilliam wrote:
ReverseEngineer wrote:However, it still does astound me that after MONTHS of this shti going down and more and more of their Yuppie friends all losing their jobs, they STILL are hanging around the NYC Bar Scene wearing little Pink Plastic Bracelets tryig to Network for a job? Accosting well dressed folks getting on the Staten Island Ferry in hopes of finding somebody hiring?I am sorry, this is just pathetic...

Yep. Their efforts would be better spent going back to school for some kind of ag degree centered around permaculture or such. Or better yet, go find a farm and learn 'hands-on'... :twisted:

really somebody needs to make a comedy about this. Sit Com for the future: "Desperate Yuppies". Or "30-Something on Welfare". Or "Sex on Skid Row in the City". LOL.

Not sure a sitcom about Yuppies forced into working at MickeyD's, et. al. or climbing over former retirees to apply as Wallyworld greeters and cashiers would be all that entertaining. I find the 20-something 'tards and geriatrics that can't run a modern cash register that already occupy these niches in real life to be infuriating as it is. I doubt I'd find idiot 30-somethings supplanting them in such roles to be all that humorous. Wouldn't be much different from current reality, except maybe they'd be dressed a bit snappier... :lol:

Maybe not dealing with them yourself... but watching others in pain is the basis of all comedy.

Hazel Henderson
Aaron
Resting in Peace

Unread postby TWilliam » Mon 09 Feb 2009, 13:23:48

Aaron wrote:Maybe not dealing with them yourself... but watching others in pain is the basis of all comedy.

You know, I noticed that many years ago. Must be why i don't much care for comedy, not 'sit-com' type anyway. I have, however, always liked Carlin; his is different somehow. Maybe because it has more to do with the patent absurdity and boundless stupidity of the human animal in general... [smilie=dontknow.gif]
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jdmartin » Mon 09 Feb 2009, 16:21:28

pstarr wrote:Heh. While we're dumping on assh*les how about this? We all had it coming. We all partied like it was 1999. None of us deserved the comfort and respect we get daily. I drove home after work last night and saw a deer by itself out in the twilight and rain, all hunched up under a tree in my yard. It trying to protect a broken leg. Yesterday that same deer was part of a small gathering harem enjoying the spring rut. It broke my heart.

What is more pathetic than libertarian/net dweebs 'making friends' on an electronic chat room. Ha ha ha ha. I really do find most of these forums pretty ridiculous. Little cliques of survivalists, permaculturalists, faux-geologists, diplomats, etc. etc. treating each other as 'friends.' It's all a circle jerk. Real friendship happens in the real world where physical and social constraints throw disparate people together into novel situations where they rise above their prejudices and limited world views and find common ground.

There are losers in the biggest cities and smallest towns, folks dressed as executives and farmers. When the time comes, most of us will be losers, on the end of some long line, without the trappings of personal success, pathetically trying to chat up some stranger for an opportunity. Will there be anyone around to laugh then?

Ouch! But I do agree to some extent. It's easy to laugh at other people, but those people spending all their money and living the high life allowed the rest of us to do OK too. We're all connected, and taking a crap on the people that were going out and spending all their money is crapping on the very people that were sustaining us in the end.

Nevertheless, I'd say this is where we're headed, really - into little groups that can demonize or laugh at the other groups of fools.
After fueling up their cars, Twyman says they bowed their heads and asked God for cheaper gas.There was no immediate answer, but he says other motorists joined in and the service station owner didn't run them off.
jdmartin
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Economics & Finance