Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

2nd Amendment backers to march on D.C.

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

2nd Amendment backers to march on D.C.

Unread postby Dreamtwister » Tue 10 Feb 2009, 02:48:42

World Daily Net

This has potential to get interesting...in a chinese proverb kind of way...
The whole of human history is a refutation by experiment of the concept of "moral world order". - Friedrich Nietzsche
Dreamtwister
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: 2nd Amendment backers to march on D.C.

Unread postby mos6507 » Tue 10 Feb 2009, 10:47:48

This site will turn into a ghost town ;)
mos6507

Unread postby Arsenal » Tue 10 Feb 2009, 11:22:41

HAHAHAHAHAHA True
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ferretlover » Tue 10 Feb 2009, 11:46:43

Tens or hundreds of thousands, some possibly carrying guns, marching on Wash. DC? That might have unforeseen consequences.
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Arsenal » Tue 10 Feb 2009, 11:53:04

Ferretlover wrote:Tens or hundreds of thousands, some possibly carrying guns, marching on Wash. DC? That might have unforeseen consequences.

Not if they are law abiding citizens. You can't conceal or open carry in the DC area. Getting caught with a weapon in this instance would harm the cause rather than help it.
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby PrestonSturges » Tue 10 Feb 2009, 11:55:22

World Net Daily is one of the nuttiest places on the internet - like http://www.landoverbaptist.com minus the satire.

Why don't they organize a march of the millions of people they claim are demanding Obama resign because he is Kenyan?
PrestonSturges
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby gnm » Tue 10 Feb 2009, 12:13:15

PrestonSturges wrote:World Net Daily is one of the nuttiest places on the internet - like http://www.landoverbaptist.com minus the satire.

Why don't they organize a march of the millions of people they claim are demanding Obama resign because he is Kenyan?

They may be nutty, but can YOU PROVE he isn't Kenyan? I think there is actually fair evidence that he wasn't _born_ here but that the birth was _registered_ here... 'Course McSame was born in Panama...

-G
gnm

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 10 Feb 2009, 12:46:42

PrestonSturges wrote:World Net Daily is one of the nuttiest places on the internet - like http://www.landoverbaptist.com minus the satire.

No guns & ammo, we end up like England.
vision-master

Unread postby Nickel » Wed 11 Feb 2009, 08:42:27

vision-master wrote:No guns & ammo, we end up like England.

What, with a nearly non-existent homicide rate? Alas.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby smallpoxgirl » Wed 11 Feb 2009, 10:53:19

Nickel wrote:

I think he was referring more to try to ban knives, sticks, rocks, screwdrivers, etc. because people keep killing eachother with or without guns. That and being videotaped by the police every minute that you spend outside your home. Sounds like a blast to me. :roll:
"We were standing on the edges
Of a thousand burning bridges
Sifting through the ashes every day
What we thought would never end
Now is nothing more than a memory
The way things were before
I lost my way" - OCMS
smallpoxgirl
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Nickel » Thu 12 Feb 2009, 10:34:21

smallpoxgirl wrote:
Nickel wrote:
I think he was referring more to try to ban knives, sticks, rocks, screwdrivers, etc. because people keep killing eachother with or without guns. That and being videotaped by the police every minute that you spend outside your home. Sounds like a blast to me. :roll:

Yeah, safety under the gaze of BB or rampant, unsolvable homicides (a.k.a. execute the minority nearest to the scene). I'm not big on either paradigm, frankly.
Nickel
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 06 Jan 2010, 19:59:59

This is big news around here.

Washington Wizards star Gilbert Arenas is in trouble:

Arenas admitted to bringing four unloaded guns to Verizon Center, which violates D.C. gun laws and league rules that prohibit weapons in NBA facilities.

NBA Commissioner sez:

"Although it is clear that the actions of Mr. Arenas will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse, his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game. Accordingly, I am suspending Mr. Arenas indefinitely, without pay, effective immediately pending the completion of the investigation by the NBA."

Who can blame Arenas? With a name like Gilbert he probably gets teased a lot.

Where are the 2nd amendment marchers when you need them?

Change the team name back to the old name, I say - The Bullets !
---
A good mule has a soft kindly look in his eyes which is difficult to describe but easily recognized.
-US Army Corps of Engineers Field Manual, 1917 Edition
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Wed 06 Jan 2010, 22:31:19

Ferretlover wrote:Tens or hundreds of thousands, some possibly carrying guns, marching on Wash. DC? That might have unforeseen consequences.

Anyone who knows anything about guns won't do that. It's illegal and will get you thrown in jail. Go ahead, if you want. Might be a Darwin Award candidate then.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Wed 06 Jan 2010, 22:34:40

dinopello wrote:Who can blame Arenas? With a name like Gilbert he probably gets teased a lot.
Where are the 2nd amendment marchers when you need them? Change the team name back to the old name, I say - The Bullets !
Anyone who writes something like this should never own a gun. It's like advocating drunk driving. Total fool. I would never let you around my house or hang out with you since you appear to be so cavalier with potentially deadly tools. You are most likely a danger to yourself and everyone around you.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Wed 06 Jan 2010, 22:53:46

Jotapay wrote:Anyone who writes something like this should never own a gun. It's like advocating drunk driving. Total fool. I would never let you around my house or hang out with you since you appear to be so cavalier with potentially deadly tools. You are most likely a danger to yourself and everyone around you.
You sir, need a tutorial on the Constitution ! Particularly the 1st and 2nd amendments. What do they teach in schools these days ? Shame on you for comparing advocacy of a citizen's right to own and carry a weapon for self defense with advocacy of an illegal act. :razz:

edit: added the :razz:
---
A good mule has a soft kindly look in his eyes which is difficult to describe but easily recognized.
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Thu 07 Jan 2010, 00:50:11

dinopello wrote:
Jotapay wrote:Anyone who writes something like this should never own a gun. It's like advocating drunk driving. Total fool. I would never let you around my house or hang out with you since you appear to be so cavalier with potentially deadly tools. You are most likely a danger to yourself and everyone around you.
You sir, need a tutorial on the Constitution ! Particularly the 1st and 2nd amendments. What do they teach in schools these days ? Shame on you for comparing advocacy of a citizen's right to own and carry a weapon for self defense with advocacy of an illegal act. :razz:

edit: added the :razz:

You can say what you like, that doesn't mean that it won't make you sound like a horse's ass.

Your tone, while satirical, denotes a total lack of understanding of the subject. It's as if you made jokes that the use of arsenic in cafeteria food is defensible by a large portion of the population. This situation is not to be taken lightly, as Arenas obviously made the mistake of doing. These are tools, which if handled improperly, can have deadly consequences, as you must know. Levity is not always a good choice, when it shows you know nothing about what you speak. No one who knows anything about firearms would think this is funny or is behavior that should be anything but castigated. These tools (firearms) must be handled with strict adherence to safety rules and proper judgment. Arenas' behavior should result in criminal charges. Anyone who owns and knows the proper use of firearms understands this. Your satire lacks the mechanics of good satire because the object of your joke completely doesn't fit the stereotype you're forcing upon them. This type of behavior is irresponsible and could very well have gotten someone injured or killed.

Marching in support of this? How outlandishly ignorant.
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jbrovont » Thu 07 Jan 2010, 05:25:41

True. Hopefully, the protesters will realize this, and execute their agenda in accordance with the district's laws. The second ammendment is integral to the freedoms of the US. It's important to show support for its protection, but to do so in a way that doesn't feed ammunition to its enemies.

Arsenal wrote:

Not if they are law abiding citizens. You can't conceal or open carry in the DC area. Getting caught with a weapon in this instance would harm the cause rather than help it.
jbrovont
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dinopello » Thu 07 Jan 2010, 09:26:58

Jotapay wrote:Arenas' behavior should result in criminal charges.

Well, obviously it will result in criminal charges as it is against the law to bring firearms out in public, even unloaded, secured in locker at your place of employment as Arenas is charged with doing. You support the law, and that is fine. One must always obey the laws of the land, even if one thinks the law might be unconstitutional. Until recently, it was illegal to possess firearms in one's home in the District of Columbia, but that law was found to be unconstitutional. Still, even in Virginia, which mostly recognizes the Constitution of the United States, it is against most employers policies to bring firearms into the facilty (like my employer) and one will lose their job if they do so.

Jotapay wrote:Marching in support of this? How outlandishly ignorant.

The proper way to address laws that one thinks are unconstitutional is through the public process which includes peaceful assembly and to petition the government for redress of grievances which is what I am referring to and what this thread is about. These processes are mentioned in the 1st amendment to the Constitution.

BTW, the CATO Institute publishes a very handy and compact (fits in your pocket) combo-book of the Constitution of the United States and the Declaration of Independence. You can order copies for $1 each by calling 1-800-767-1241

edit: pardon me, but the $1 which is mentioned in my copy is now $4.95 ! which I see at their website. The number is the same though. Still worth it in my opinion.
---
dinopello
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby bromius » Fri 08 Jan 2010, 02:17:26

I own several guns and support the second amendment without qualification. However, I will not be at this march. Unfortunately I have limited time and resources and for the investment on my part, the effect of of adding one extra head to thousands of others seems negligible. The lobbying efforts of both the NRA and individual arms manufacturers in this country do a fine job of making sure both their and my interests are looked after. It's actually one of the few instances I can think of where a political system that is disproportionately influenced by corporate money actually results in an outcome I support.
bromius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby pablonite » Tue 12 Jan 2010, 14:10:10

I read somewhere Americans need to report firearm ownership on their 2009 tax return, anyone heard about that or was it a joke?

Nickel wrote:What, with a nearly non-existent homicide rate? Alas.

Pfft, you go live in Liverpool. Half the people on the big island are dead, they just haven't fallen over yet. Armies of pasty white zombies with rotting teeth. Heh, not that bad but getting there quick - a pity they can't do anything about it. It's an official Nanny State now.
pablonite
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Next

Return to North America Discussion