Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Farmbelt Banks on the Skids

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Farmbelt Banks on the Skids

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Sun 15 Feb 2009, 03:18:43

Just when you thought you couldn't find another way for Banks to Fail, how about risky trades in the Commodities markets?

Nebraska Banking Commissioner John Munn said Sherman County Bank, which had four offices in central Nebraska, became the first state lender shut in two decades because of losses stemming from commodity trading by about 30 of its farm customers.

“This closing is not indicative of the general condition of our Nebraska banks,” Munn said, according to the Omaha World Herald. “I do not believe this is the tip of an iceberg.”

Bloomberg

Now, when somebody in "authority" tells you "Don't worry, this is NOT the tip of the iceberg", what is your response? Mine is DUCK AND COVER! LOL.

No doubt, farmers in Nebraska trying to Hedge their bets probably have risked a fortune in the commodities markets. Not only could this speculation take down the Banks the y use, but it could put some very large agribusinesses into receivership.

I don't think we have heard the last of this story. These Icebergs seem to come floating down the Fjord here more regularly all the time. Methinks the Financial Glacier is Calving.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Farmbelt Banks on the Skids

Unread postby pup55 » Sun 15 Feb 2009, 07:05:38

because of losses stemming from commodity trading by about 30 of its farm customers.

From what I always understood, if you are already long in a commodity (like you would be if you planted a lot of corn on your land) all you need to do to "hedge" is buy a put option at a nice high price, to lock in your profit. Then, you do what you do best, and have some insurance against the price going to hell before harvest time.

If these guys lost a lot of money in commodity trading, it is because they got greedy, thought they knew a lot about agribusiness, and started to play Vegas with their livelihood, and it cost them when the price collapsed last year.

Silly farmers, should stick with what they do best.
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Farmbelt Banks on the Skids

Unread postby BlueGhostNo2 » Sun 15 Feb 2009, 08:15:40

Well pops the other hedge they could've been doing was against increasing oil price.

If (like the majority on this site) they saw peak oil but not the impending housing bubble bust they would've hedged the oil but not the corn.

Ka-boom.

Doesnt explain how a bank goes bust when some of it\s customers make a bad play tho? Maybe tthey all did??
BlueGhostNo2
Peat
Peat

Return to Economics & Finance