Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Think they didn't intentionally frak you? Think again.

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Think they didn't intentionally frak you? Think again.

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 19 Feb 2009, 21:48:03

Decided this needed it's own thread.

Taxpayers pay for the sins of the bankers

From Winter 2006, just so you know what you're paying for.

Securitized Mortgage Fraud - The Ponzi Unwinds

Even in good times the Ponzi business model employed by most of the mortgage banking industry required ever increasing loan volumes to keep default rates down. New loans typically don’t go bad as fast as bad loans, so the rapid growth rate of the sector helped hide the truth about the quality of their holdings. Now that the sector is having trouble growing, reported default rates are on the rise and profits are evaporating.The market for mortgage backed securities grew far too rapidly, and the supply of easy credit had to end.

Ponzi’ finance units must increase outstanding debt in order to meet its financial obligations.” - Hyman Minsky

Credit Suisse on a monthly basis puts out one of the most data filled reports in the biz on mortgage and consumer finance. A careful reading of the latest issue, enables one to piece together the nature of the American asset Bubble consumer financing Ponzi scheme.
The macro question is, how can this benign “risk free” environment continue if Ponzi equity extraction from declining housing values abates at all? And even worse, what happens if large layoffs spread into the real estate and construction areas of the economy?

link

Like a Ponzi scheme, it is good until it isn’t. Think of it as musical chairs. When chairs are plenty, everyone is having fun. Yet as the music winds down, we know that eventually only one person will be able to sit.

link

Noticed all those "ReFi" commercials have pretty much disappeared. Guess the House of Cards has collapsed. All that's left is the unwinding and the pain.(a clear understatement on my part)

Yep, this is the big one. They've squeezed the world dry and the Fat Lady is singing the final number. Let me coin the phrase now. "The Greater Depression."

That's right, let's just heap more debt on the American people to save these worthless criminals, after all, they're worth more than the future of America, right? If you really wanted to help the borrowers, why not force the lenders to convert those fraudulent ARMs to low interest fixed rate loans? Why? Because it doesn't bail-out the sub-prime lenders. What is with this collusion to fleece every last penny out of the American working class? Does the United States even have the ability to issue enough debt to cover these loans? Last I saw, the rest of the world had enough of it(in more ways than one), and weren't showing up at the auctions. Aren't we in enough of a debt crisis already? I guess the working class in America takes it in the angus again so the thieving rich can skate away scott free. Where is Robin Hood when you need him?

'Debt' is the 'Chains that bind us'

The grasp and grab for resources, including and most obviously oil and gas, has been going on since the end of World War II in its current state. It was spoken about openly when the media was more constrained and less widely available. Churchill spoke eloquently about how debt was a far better weapon against rowdy natives than the Gestapo or the state-capitalists in the Soviet Union’s KGB.

Debt would allow “great men” to reach their destiny without insufferable wretches, the public, getting in their way. Institutionalize debt internationally and it would also allow great nations to rule quietly and with Adam Smith’s “silent hand.” “Or else we should be forever trapped within our mansions.” said Churchill.

Adam Smith however would today be classed as a left wing economist, the Joseph Stiglitz of his age. He wrote, also eloquently, about how markets needed justice in order to function, otherwise the merchant class would spew despair and misery around the world.

He was correct.

link

December 2006, the SEC removed the 'uptick rule' that prevented people from unrestrained shorting of the market as it goes down.(Unrestrained shorting acts like putting the accelerator to the floor while going downhill.) The only reason for doing this is to allow profiting on a crash. The rule was put it place in 1934 to prevent a 1929 type crash from happening again.

Chairman Christopher Cox
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
Washington, D.C.
December 4, 2006

The final item on our agenda today is elimination of the short sale price test - colloquially known as the "tick test."

Historically, the Commission and self-regulatory organizations have sought to balance the competing views of short selling -- whether it is primarily good or bad -- by permitting short sales in advancing markets, and preventing short sales at successively lower prices.

The Commission first imposed restrictions on the execution prices of short sales almost seventy years ago, when we adopted the "tick test" of Rule 10a-1 in 1938. The tick test permits short sales only at a price above the last sale price, or alternatively, at the last sale price -- if that is higher than the previous price.

The core provisions of Rule 10a-1 have remained virtually unchanged since the 1930s. But a great deal else has changed in the marketplace over that very long time. Over the years, decimalization and changes in trading strategies have undermined the effectiveness of the price test. And at the same time, increased transparency and better means of surveillance appear to have lessened the need for the price test.

We will today consider proposals to remove the tick test of Rule 10a-1, and to prohibit the SROs from maintaining their existing price tests or adopting any new ones. Along with the proposed repeal of the tick test, we will also consider a proposal to make conforming changes to the order-marking requirements of Regulation SHO.
link
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Think they didn't intentionally frak you? Think again.

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Thu 19 Feb 2009, 23:40:46

Things to come

This country is bankrupt. We run on borrowed money, and the rest of the world has already begun turning off the taps. With the dollar's devaluation, everyone has already been given a huge involuntary pay cut.

Soon, and I mean very soon, the world will no longer loan us any more money.(buy our debt in the form of bonds) They have already stopped showing up at the auctions, and what has been bought is only a small fraction of what used to be. Since February 2008 the Fed has stepped in to buy up the remaining bonds at the autions to prevent the auctions from failing. That's like taking it out of your left pocket and putting it in your right.

Our countries infrastructure is dependent on purchasing a disproportionate share of the world's resources. When we can no longer afford to do so, basic services nationwide will collapse. Electricity and water will stop flowing and food will stop making it to the cities. Fields will be left unplanted while people starve.

The fleecing has already taken place. Over the last 8 years they have squeezed every penny out of the American people, encouraged them to max out their debt, so there would be more to steal, and have now maxed out the credit of the nation itself.

They will now all walk away with their pockets full, while everyone else will be kicked to the curb, to die in the streets.

The American people are so stupid. Many of them fought tooth and nail to allow these people to do this thing. Unfortunately, we shall all reap the consequences.

The Great Depression does not even come close to what we are about to experience. Starving to death in the cold and dark is a more apt description of what is to come. Like the stories coming out of North Korea. Malnourished children being beaten to death in the streets for trying to steal a scrap of food. And no one with the strength or will to lift a finger.
link
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 20 Feb 2009, 00:20:59

To tell the truth, I've been neglecting my site. Now that it's over, I'm finding it hard to care. The end of the world has that effect on me.

I've been living in Texas, I really have no idea why I've stayed, but will soon be moving to Saskatchewan. I originally built my lifeboat here, based on peak oil, but now that the methane is releasing, I built a second lifeboat in the great white north.

Doesn't really matter, got 20 years left if I'm lucky anyway. Probably a whole lot less.

I've just wanted the people here to have a chance. I practically consider the people here family now, and want them to have the best chance at survival possible.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Jotapay » Fri 20 Feb 2009, 00:36:09

Cid_Yama wrote:I've been living in Texas, I really have no idea why I've stayed, but will soon be moving to Saskatchewan.

You're kidding. Don't you feel out of place? Where are you?
Jotapay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 20 Feb 2009, 01:12:17

Don't you feel out of place?

Extremely. Live on the shores of Lake Texoma. Grayson County.
Last edited by Cid_Yama on Fri 20 Feb 2009, 01:16:01, edited 1 time in total.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Fri 20 Feb 2009, 01:31:30

My new home.

http://www.meadowlake.ca/2008-06/location.php

Thanks for the invite, but I think I'll fly. It's a bit of a long drive.

I'll be on that golf course this summer. Looks a little like St. Andrews.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Fri 20 Feb 2009, 02:49:45

Cid_Yama wrote:To tell the truth, I've been neglecting my site. Now that it's over, I'm finding it hard to care. The end of the world has that effect on me.

I've been living in Texas, I really have no idea why I've stayed, but will soon be moving to Saskatchewan. I originally built my lifeboat here, based on peak oil, but now that the methane is releasing, I built a second lifeboat in the great white north.

Doesn't really matter, got 20 years left if I'm lucky anyway. Probably a whole lot less.

I've just wanted the people here to have a chance. I practically consider the people here family now, and want them to have the best chance at survival possible.

As Yogi Bera said Cid, "It ain't over till its over." Although the writing is on the wall, we are still here on the net, we can still write to warn, we can still make sure the Blame is placed in the right place. In the hands of the Banksters and the Republican Right Wing Scum Sucking Bottom Feeders who bled this country dry for their own self aggrandizement.

I too feel a camaraderie with the rest of the members of Peak Oil, though I have been here a year less than you and eons less than Jurrassic Period members like Ludi & Pops. This for now remains one of the few places the Truth gets spoken, even when it bothers some people. Its not a perfect place, but its way better than the MSM, that is for sure.

Anyhow, good luck up in the Great White North with the Hosers. Maybe one day you can meet me halfway in the Yukon for a Moose Hunt :-)

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby sparky » Fri 20 Feb 2009, 04:56:56

Guys and girls

.... NEVER EVER underestimate the capitalism bitch :twisted: :twisted:

She would rise from a ten foot deep grave covered with concrete
she is indestructible bar total nuclear devastation and will pursue you
beyong the actic circle .
Stalinian communism is a cuddly pussy cat compared to this one .
the children of the poor will go back to the mines pits
and the old be left to starve in quiet dignity

sparky
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rangerone314 » Fri 20 Feb 2009, 08:14:27

sparky wrote:.

Guys and girls

.... NEVER EVER underestimate the capitalism bitch :twisted: :twisted:

She would rise from a ten foot deep grave covered with concrete
she is indestructible bar total nuclear devastation and will pursue you
beyong the actic circle .
Stalinian communism is a cuddly pussy cat compared to this one .
the children of the poor will go back to the mines pits
and the old be left to starve in quiet dignity

Capitalism is just a variant of the standard human M.O.: the strong do what they can, and the weak do what they must. The only difference between systems is who has the strength.

Oswald Spengler was wrong about technology because he probably didn't understand the powerful boost we would get from petroleum but he had good insight on western "democracy" (really republics):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Declin ... _and_money

Keep in mind that is a summary of what was written nearly 100 years ago, and so aptly describes things as they are now.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby oxj » Fri 20 Feb 2009, 10:12:51

Interesting community, Cid. Bring your geiger counter.
oxj
Peat
Peat

Unread postby nobodypanic » Fri 20 Feb 2009, 16:27:41

Cid_Yama wrote:Things to come

Our countries infrastructure is dependent on purchasing a disproportionate share of the world's resources. When we can no longer afford to do so, basic services nationwide will collapse.

i don't think we'll go quietly cid. when we can no longer afford to buy resources, i am betting we will try and take them by force.

the legions will march, irrespective of the chances for success.
nobodypanic
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 20 Feb 2009, 16:36:29

Cid_Yama wrote:I've just wanted the people here to have a chance. I practically consider the people here family now, and want them to have the best chance at survival possible.

PO family Image even though sometimes we are like Image
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Return to Economics & Finance