Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Dumb money

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Dumb money

Unread postby JohnDenver » Fri 20 Feb 2009, 18:18:09

Flynn expects oil prices to eventually drop well below $30 a barrel in coming months as manufacturers cut operations and millions of laid off workers stop commuting to work.

"We're getting ready for a tailspin, but you just don't know what's going to happen," Flynn said. If it weren't for the new federal stimulus package and promises of further OPEC production cuts, "we'd probably already be there."

Trading on the Nymex has been erratic because of a influx of "dumb money" entering the market, analyst Stephen Schork said. Amateur investors are flocking to energy funds that have bet crude prices will eventually spike again.

"They're looking at the fact that crude went to $150 a barrel a year ago, and its in the 30s today," Schork said. "They think it's going back up."

Link
JohnDenver
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Dumb money

Unread postby Duende » Fri 20 Feb 2009, 20:02:06

Well JD, I've got a feeling I know what your disposition is on the price of oil going up, but I gotta admit it's awfully tempting to invest right now in oil. Contracts are unbelievably affordable right now, based on the last year or so I've been watching them.

I have absolutely no doubt that oil will spike again within the next year or two. The only concern is that the dollars I'll be making will be completely worthless due to (likely) hyperinflation, since the oil is pegged to the rapidly-multiplying dollar. I think that's why I'm just gonna stick with other more-tangible commodities.
"Where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?" -Thomas Huxley
Duende
Coal
Coal

Return to Economics & Finance