Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Liquidation of the US

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

The Liquidation of the US

Unread postby seldom_seen » Wed 25 Feb 2009, 01:53:22

Another excellent summation of events by Ilargi at the Automatic Earth:

In 1999, mere months before the Glass-Steagall repeal was voted through, Robert Rubin handed the Treasury Secretary seat to Larry Summers, in order to move on to Citi and put to "good use" all the new financial powers he himself was responsible for writing.

In 2009, Rubin left Citi throuigh the revolving door that connects Wall Street to Washington, to team up again with Larry Summers and Tim Geithner, and make sure hundreds of billions are being poured into the bank he helped implode. None of Obama's initiatives will do anything to save the banking system, or restore economic growth, or benefit the taxpayer. We're witnessing the liquidation of the US as a going concern.

http://theautomaticearth.blogspot.com/

Imagine if newspapers still reported this kind of stuff? Maybe they wouldn't all be going out of business?
But how the world turns. One day, cock of the walk. Next, a feather duster.
seldom_seen
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: The Liquidation of the US

Unread postby Colorado-Valley » Wed 25 Feb 2009, 02:09:52

I know newspapers that reported this kind of stuff, but they were considered radical leftist college rags and corporate business wouldn't read or advertise in them.

I used to work at one in Boulder, Colorado, actually. We'd report on things like the secret wars in Central America or what Reagan's deregulation of Wall Street or the S&L Scandal would eventually do to the country, but nobody wanted to hear about it.

They wanted to hear about the Coors Bicycle Race or how to turn the Pearl Street Mall into high-end designer boutiques.

The revolution just kind of petered out ...

8)
Colorado-Valley
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby shady28 » Wed 25 Feb 2009, 14:56:19

Colorado-Valley wrote:...
We'd report on things like the secret wars in Central America or what Reagan's deregulation of Wall Street or the S&L Scandal would eventually do to the country, but nobody wanted to hear about it.

That's the problem. The radical rags make assumptions about the future, 99% of which fail.

What people really need are news sources willing to point out the salient facts without adding multiple assumptions and ad libbing. The ties between Citi and the Federal Gov't are good salient factual points that anyone can understand.
Welcome to the Kondratieff Winter
shady28
Coal
Coal

Unread postby the48thronin » Wed 25 Feb 2009, 15:44:07

shady28 wrote:That's the problem. The radical rags make assumptions about the future, 99% of which fail.

What people really need are news sources willing to point out the salient facts without adding multiple assumptions and ad libbing. The ties between Citi and the Federal Gov't are good salient factual points that anyone can understand.

News with no AGENDA What a radical idea?
Malthusian Riders Member!

Courtesy and Courage Sincerity and Self-control Honor and Loyalty a Code to Live By!
What do the miners do when the canary dies? EVACUATE THE MINE not argue about the color of it's feathers or buy a parrot instead.

Where is my pitchfork and torch? I need them for a visit to the castle!
the48thronin
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Return to Economics & Finance