Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Wasteful, useless industry weathers economic downturn?

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Wasteful, useless industry weathers economic downturn?

Unread postby Ludi » Mon 02 Mar 2009, 21:46:13

I was surprised to see this article:

"In Downturn, Americans Flock to the Movies

By MICHAEL CIEPLY and BROOKS BARNES
Published: February 28, 2009

LOS ANGELES — Hollywood could get used to this recession thing.
Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image
Joshua Lott for The New York Times

While much of the economy is teetering between bust and bailout, the movie industry has been startled by a box-office surge that has little precedent in the modern era. Suddenly it seems as if everyone is going to the movies, with ticket sales this year up 17.5 percent, to $1.7 billion, according to Media by Numbers, a box-office tracking company.

And it is not just because ticket prices are higher. Attendance has also jumped, by nearly 16 percent. If that pace continues through the year, it would amount to the biggest box-office surge in at least two decades."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/movie ... ms.html?hp

So far this doesn't seem to be translating into a lot of new movie jobs. This might be because of the difficulty getting financing, completion bonds, etc. or because of fears of the still-looming SAG strike. My biz and friends in the industry aren't getting many inquiries. :|
Ludi

Re: Wasteful, useless industry weathers economic downturn?

Unread postby Sixstrings » Mon 02 Mar 2009, 22:20:27

I was surprised to see this article:

"In Downturn, Americans Flock to the Movies

I'm not surprised. My step-grandfather said he made $80 per week as a movie projectionist during the Great Depression (he said that was very good money at that time). He told me people went to the movies to forget their troubles.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby cbxer55 » Mon 02 Mar 2009, 23:52:03

pstarr wrote:Movies are not wasteful or useless. They are magic [smilie=XXspider.gif] [smilie=wrestlerbenoit3.gif] [smilie=new_icecream.gif] [smilie=smileinbox.gif]

But the prices are! The price just to get in is ridiculous. Then throw in all that unhealthy stuff they try to sell you while you are there. Two people could easily blow $40.00 for a fricken movie. 8O
Meanwhile I go get a disc from Blockbuster, fix me an adult beverage and light up a fine cigar. I would much rather stay home and watch on my 56 inch big screen tv.
My wife and I have not been to a theater in over two years. You mean they still exist? :?: 8O
SEE YA! Image
cbxer55
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Snowrunner » Tue 03 Mar 2009, 02:16:45

cbxer55 wrote:
pstarr wrote:Movies are not wasteful or useless. They are magic [smilie=XXspider.gif] [smilie=wrestlerbenoit3.gif] [smilie=new_icecream.gif] [smilie=smileinbox.gif]

But the prices are! The price just to get in is ridiculous. Then throw in all that unhealthy stuff they try to sell you while you are there. Two people could easily blow $40.00 for a fricken movie. 8O
Meanwhile I go get a disc from Blockbuster, fix me an adult beverage and light up a fine cigar. I would much rather stay home and watch on my 56 inch big screen tv.
My wife and I have not been to a theater in over two years. You mean they still exist? :?: 8O

Not everybody has a bigscreen TV, and if you are sitting at home most of the day anyway you'd rather get out and be "around people".
Snowrunner
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby gandolf » Tue 03 Mar 2009, 04:09:53

cbxer55 wrote:

I'v got a 50 inch in the family room, 60 inch in the games room and a 120 inch in the theatre room

But you still cant beat the buzz and excitment of going to the movies. We have a discount card and take our own drinks etc. It is a damn site cheaper that going to the pub.

Today was my first day unemployed (Got made redundant) so I might just bugger off to the movies... LOL
There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope.
gandolf
Peat
Peat

Unread postby lawnchair » Tue 03 Mar 2009, 09:13:47

A lot of people went to movies in GD1. But, 4 of the 5 big studios of the time went bankrupt or nearly so. Since the theater itself was a sunk cost, a lot of them went to 'two tickets for a nickel'.

I for one am rarely awed or entertained enough that my free 27" tube TV won't suffice. Schlock is schlock. Once a year or so, there's a small town near a lake I like to camp at. The community runs the theater, showing a relatively-recent movie at $5, with cheap popcorn and drinks.
At 1% annual growth, human bodies will incorporate every gram in the observable universe in approximately 10,170 years.
lawnchair
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby thor » Tue 03 Mar 2009, 16:39:50

Watching a movie makes you forget the ugly reality we live in at the moment. It is a great way to escape.
thor
Coal
Coal

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 03 Mar 2009, 16:57:45

I prefer the Home Theater Gig.

Wait for new DVD's to show up in the mail box.

Adjust controls as I feel.

Run concert DVD's at max volume.

Hit pause for another beer.

Smoke at will during show.

The seats are more comfy at home.

Crash land 20 ft away..... :lol:

Besides, have you ever seen Skynard at the movies?
vision-master

Unread postby vaseline2008 » Wed 04 Mar 2009, 19:38:17

vision-master wrote:I prefer the Home Theater Gig.

Wait for new DVD's to show up in the mail box.

Adjust controls as I feel.

Run concert DVD's at max volume.

Hit pause for another beer.

Smoke at will during show.

The seats are more comfy at home.

Crash land 20 ft away..... :lol:

Besides, have you ever seen Skynard at the movies?

Also, not being bothered with the a-hole with the laser pointer.

Don't have to constantly look around the "big head" who sat in the row in front of you.

Don't have to listen to any crying babies that belong to people who couldn't/wouldn't get a baby-sitter.
I'd rather be the killer than the victim.
The Money Badger don't care. Sucks to be poor!
vaseline2008
Lignite
Lignite

Return to Economics & Finance