Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Aspects Of The Post-Oil Community

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Aspects Of The Post-Oil Community

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 03 Mar 2009, 05:20:45

In a typical crowd of Americans, half will deny that any of the dozen aspects of systemic collapse even exist, and most of the other half will say, “Well, I believe . . .” and proceed to spout whatever Pollyanna nonsense their illiterate brains have been filled with. Of course, if politicians never say a word about overpopulation, resource consumption, or any other real issue, then how can the average American be blamed for mental laziness? Well, perhaps there’s something to be said for intellectual responsibility. Certainly no one can say that informative books aren’t available — a good collection can be put together, at a dollar apiece, by roaming the second-hand stores, since nobody seems interested in reading books these days.

http://www.countercurrents.org/goodchild250209.htm
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Aspects Of The Post-Oil Community

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 03 Mar 2009, 05:37:42

Cid; don't you think it's because the truth is actually shocking the hell out of people already?

The collective unconcious chose the growth based paradigm a long time ago, over rational population science.

I think it got mixed up with eugenics& people decided control was evil, growth is good.

I am 40 odd and my primary school teachers spelled out what a problem the exponential factor is becoming. Tidal & wind power, preference for public transport, etc, etc.
That was in the early 70's.

I ask kids about this these days& they don't seem to be getting any education about the key problems the world is facing:

Exponential population.

Exponential consumption.

Exponential complexity.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby ReverseEngineer » Tue 03 Mar 2009, 05:43:06

SeaGypsy wrote:I ask kids about this these days& they don't seem to be getting any education about the key problems the world is facing:

Exponential population.

Exponential consumption.

Exponential complexity.

You forgot exponential STUPIDITY.

Reverse Engineer
ReverseEngineer
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 03 Mar 2009, 05:52:01

Well, that's scary. A renewed eugenics push with the imperative of population overshoot.

I saw a movie once back in the '70's, set in the future of the early 21st century, where those over 60 were outlawed from being prescribed or issued phamacuticals.

Fortunately(I guess), the culling will take a more natural course.

I could see though, as pressures increase and people starve, eugenics could see a revival.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 03 Mar 2009, 05:58:10

Wasn't Soilent Green was it?
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Tue 03 Mar 2009, 06:34:27

No, it wasn't Soylent Green.(One of my all time faves though. It predicted the death of the oceans, beginning with the death of the plankton.)

I believe it was even a Senator they had cut off from his insulin. He had arranged another source, but they discovered it and cut him off permanently. Can't remember the name of it.

Back to Soylent Green, I feel like I am Saul, the character played by Edward G Robinson.(I believe it was his last role.)

Those of you born since the 1970's haven't a clue as to what the world was really like. The world has been dying since the 1950's. I'll bet older people would say it's been even longer than that.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to North America Discussion