Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

small hydro generator.

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

small hydro generator.

Unread postby canuckinczech » Sat 07 Mar 2009, 16:57:50

Why isn't this getting more attention? I suppose not everyone lives next to the ocean or river. The simplicity is staggering...is there something I'm missing?

http://www.designrevolution.org/low-vel ... ean-energy
canuckinczech
Peat
Peat

Re: small hydro generator.

Unread postby canuckinczech » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 04:07:10

pstarr wrote:Yes you are missing something. Do a search on this site on wave power. There are myriad prototypes and experimental systems in various stages of development, some of which may contribute to future electric demand.

The problem with wave power like all alternatives energy systems is one of scale and net-energy return. None of these methods contain near the embodied available energy as fossil fuel and without government assistance these programs are doomed to fail.

All you need to to is check out the state of wind/solar energy. It is failing before our eyes. When oil prices were high then costs of installation was too expensive. Now that oil has dropped so to has demand for the systems. Can,t win.

Sorry, I have already lost hope in solving the worlds energy crisis. The only reasonable solution is from the bottom up. Introducing feasible solutions at the small consumer level...utilizing the potential where its occures. Fore, I believe the days of huge investments into transfomating the existing systems, will only lead to frustration well into the next generation.

Ease the regulation...and get these small systems into walmart...then my friend there will be a difference.
canuckinczech
Peat
Peat

Unread postby transshopguy » Sun 24 May 2009, 16:43:31

I like the idea of the Vivace for oceans, large lakes and rivers. I also like the idea of the bouys that bob up and down and generate electricity. I would like to see someone come up with an offshore windturbine that also has an underwater turbine to catch both wind and sea power at the same time.
transshopguy
Wood
Wood

Unread postby canuckinczech » Mon 25 May 2009, 03:03:16

Transshopguy, love that idea as well. However, the problem still remains that the population needs to rely on the existing power companies to make that decision. There cannot be a force of will, without $.
Seems like you are a handy guy, these sort of ideas which you and I might be able to build, seems to be the only avenue to truly transforming an existing faulty system.
For example,since i installed my solar panels I have noticed that my neighbors have followed suit...from above, it looks like a spreading plague with the epicenter on my property...truly, a wonderful spectical to behold!
I can imagine such a senario with small generators like the Vivace on riverside properties...inch by inch force 'em into compliance, my friend.
canuckinczech
Peat
Peat

Return to Energy Technology