Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Women to outnumber men in workforce, 1st time in history

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Women to outnumber men in workforce, 1st time in history

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 07 Mar 2009, 20:12:34

In a page one story, the New York Times said that as the economy sours and layoffs continue, we may soon find more women in the American workforce than men. “The proportion of women who are working has changed very little since the recession started,” the Times reported. “But a full 82 percent on the job losses have befallen men, who are heavily represented in distressed industries like manufacturing and construction. Women tend to be employed in areas like education and health care, which are less sensitive to economic ups and downs, and in jobs that allow more time for child care and other domestic work.”

http://www.mommytrackd.com/recession-workforce-numbers

I saw this on CNN the other day. It was an eyeopener, to see that number -- 82% of job losses have been suffered by men, while employment with women has remained stable.

The total number of women in the workforce is set to overtake men -- when this happens, it will be a first in the history of the US.

I think a lot of unemployed men will have to start expanding their employment options to include traditionally female-dominated work. That would mean fields like healthcare, paralegal, clerical, etc.

Unfortunately, I can imagine the transition to office work would be a difficult one for a "Marlboro Man."
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Women to outnumber men in workforce, 1st time in history

Unread postby Leanan » Sat 07 Mar 2009, 20:36:54

Something similar happened during the Great Depression. Women found it easier to get and keep jobs than men did, because their pay was lower.
"The problems of today will not be solved by the same thinking that produced the problems in the first place." - Albert Einstein
Leanan
News Editor
News Editor

Unread postby perdition79 » Sat 07 Mar 2009, 20:43:40

I hope some no-nonsense men take over some of our bureaucratic gynocracies. Nothing is worse than dealing with the incompetent, intransigent, passive-aggressive women in government offices. Especially the ones who talk without moving their jaws; that should be a Federal crime for anyone who's not a ventriloquist. I figure an air of competence will last for a year or so, before the men start cycling along with their female co-workers.
http://www.thepeoplescube.com/

"We are building a religion; we are building it bigger. We are widening the corridors and adding more lanes."
Cake - Comfort Eagle
perdition79
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Ludi » Sat 07 Mar 2009, 21:21:51

perdition79 wrote:I hope some no-nonsense men take over some of our bureaucratic gynocracies.

Fear teh wymyn! 8O
Ludi

Unread postby jasonraymondson » Sat 07 Mar 2009, 21:58:51

Pretty sure the guy you just quoted has a tiny penis
jasonraymondson
Permanently Banned

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 07 Mar 2009, 23:50:16

Fear teh wymyn!

Maybe there's more to these statistics than meets the eye. Yes, I can understand a lot of women work in healthcare, teaching, and government. (and therefore haven't been laid off)

But a lot of women also work in retail. Sure, not many work in construction and manufacturing.. but do those fields really account for that big 82% disparity?

I'm wondering here if in fact women may be becoming the dominant gender. Are men being laid off before women, perhaps? Or, are a lot of men (especially younger men) shiftless no-accounts in the first place?

And if the latter is true, I think one could blame that on the easy divorce laws, and the feminist movement. Easy divorce leaves men paying child support for kids they hardly get to see, leading to men not even wanting to marry in the first place, leading to young men being raised just by women.

It's a downward spiral for manhood, I fear.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby idiom » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 01:08:59

I thought I was supposed to be a shiftless no-account to give the women a fair chance.

At least its working, cuz it sucks.
The world ends without a tragedy,Time is melting into history
The sky is falling, Voices crying out in desperation
Hear them calling, Everybody, save yourself
idiom
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby TreebeardsUncle » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 03:30:56

So, does this mean much?

I think the article was correct in saying that men are concentrated in blue collar manufacturing and construction jobs that have seen a lot of layoffs.

Also men tend to gravitate to the sciences, engineering, and technical fields in which there also have been quite a few layoffs.

There are more women in clerical, education, medical, and government jobs which have seen comparatively fewer layoffs.
g
TreebeardsUncle
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pretorian » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 07:01:52

women are much better sellers in general than men. I attribute it to inability of some men to speak with a woman and a small dick syndrome.
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 09:37:25

I think this is mostly the result of the first wave in the ripple effect. Without those blue collar workers people who service them (keep it clean people) by providing resturaunt food, car washes, maid services and so on and so forth will start getting pinched out of a job. Sure there are more female teachers and nurses, but there are a lot more female wait staff that will soon be out of work because the lay offs have a cascade effect.

Unfortunately TPTB decided to make the USA a Service based economy completely ignoring the fact that service workers have to have paying customers to stay employed. Take out the last of the Manufacturing jobs and how many service workers do you need? Slow the economy and bussiness travle and eliminate liesure travle and how many motel/hotel staff do you need? Predominantly those jobs are female workers.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Economics & Finance