Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

US government’s Cybersecurity chief warns America of NSA

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Unread postby mintdollar » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 00:24:18

The U.S. government’s director for cybersecurity resigned on Friday, criticizing the excessive role of the National Security Agency in countering threats to the country’s computer systems. “He has tendered his resignation,” Amy Kudwa, a Department of Homeland Security spokeswoman told Reuters.

Former Silicon Valley entrepreneur Rod Beckstrom said in a resignation letter published by the Wall Street Journal it was a “bad strategy” to have the National Security Agency, which is part of the Department of Defense, play a major role in cybersecurity. Beckstrom headed the National Cybersecurity Center, which was created last March to coordinate all government cybersecurity efforts and answers to the Department of Homeland Security.

Homeland Security said in a statement that it has a strong relationship with the NSA and continues to work closely with all of its partners to protect the country’s cyber networks.

link
Last edited by Ferretlover on Sun 08 Mar 2009, 01:11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added quote notations.
mintdollar
Wood
Wood

Re: US government’s Cybersecurity chief warns America of NSA

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 00:39:56

I just googled 'International Emergency Powers Act' & came up with 1.67 million references I don't have time to troll through.

Readings of emergency powers acts can come across as effectively:
"The State may 'in an emergency' take any and all steps in order to preserve the integrity on the State."
Most places in the developed world have this effective meaning; that when the State has determined an immediate and present direct threat from within it's borders, States rights will override Citizens rights in each and every case.

Down under, we have had all of our electronic data processed through a spy facility for close to a decade. That's digital phones, landlines& internet. This has resulted in some high profile arrests including those of a group of Jihadists planning to attack train stations in Jewish suburbs.

The purpose of this facility has slowly spread from National Security to International organized crime to the point where State Police may now be granted unlimited access in State prosecutions of State crimes.

There is a similar system operating in Europe for a few years.
I have heard the Government in the USA got in a lot of trouble as soon as they switched theirs on. However the system is in place, able to be kicked into action in an 'Emergency'.
Or so I believe.

I support American and other countries having true civil rights, including freedom of information, however in the time we are living States are more paranoid than ever as well as being better equipt for spying.

To tell the truth I would be very surprised if your system was actually switched off; more likely the pressure over wire tapping would have led to deeper secrecy about the information obtained rather than giving up on the technology.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to North America Discussion