Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

World Bank Issues Dire Warning On Global Economy

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Unread postby deMolay » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 18:56:30

They then call for Rich countries, code for the Western Countries to extend stimulus to 3rd world countries. How is that going to happen. The EU is broke, the US is broke, Australia is broke, etc. I think they should pressure the Chinese and the Saudi's to open the spigot. The fact is I think a die back will commence very soon. These people who live an elite lifestyle dishing out taxdollars are going to become an endangered species themselves. http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/03/08/ ... s/econ.php
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: World Bank Issues Dire Warning On Global Economy

Unread postby patience » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 19:26:58

I'm afraid the poor countries are going to be on their own, with protectionism running rampant soon. Globalization was not the best idea from the start, IMHO, and the furious pace of expansion and shifts inside poorer countries will make the fallback harder on them. All those Chinese who moved to the industrial cities don't have much to go back to, and nothing where they are when their job goes away.

With the spoiled populations in the richer places clamoring to maintain their status quo, politicians bent on retaining the position of power will look first to appeasing their constituents, and relegate foreign aid to history.
Local fix-it guy..
patience
Resting in Peace

Unread postby TWilliam » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 20:07:51

patience wrote:I'm afraid the poor countries are going to be on their own, with protectionism running rampant soon. Globalization was not the best idea from the start, IMHO, and the furious pace of expansion and shifts inside poorer countries will make the fallback harder on them. All those Chinese who moved to the industrial cities don't have much to go back to, and nothing where they are when their job goes away.

With the spoiled populations in the richer places clamoring to maintain their status quo, politicians bent on retaining the position of power will look first to appeasing their constituents, and relegate foreign aid to history.

"Foreign aid" is more often than not a polite euphemism for "capitalist exploitation". And yes, those countries that have been impoverished by such exploitation will likely have an even rougher go of it once their Western exploiters 'cut bait'. Those countries that haven't been thus exploited, and therefore retain their own local economies (such as they may be), will likely not have major issues...
"It means buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, because Kansas? Is goin' bye-bye... "
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby mos6507 » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 20:12:58

TWilliam wrote:"Foreign aid" is more often than not a polite euphemism for "capitalist exploitation".

Care to elaborate? At what point should countries that have reached the level of Soylent Brown be expected to stand on their own two feet?
mos6507

Unread postby jupiters_release » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 20:23:53

mos6507 wrote:
TWilliam wrote:"Foreign aid" is more often than not a polite euphemism for "capitalist exploitation".

Care to elaborate?

Are you really this ignorant? F""N-A! :shock:
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby TWilliam » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 20:27:49

mos6507 wrote:Care to elaborate?

Not really mos. Not because I can't, but because I can't really do the topic justice in a few hundred words. If you're really interested, you might check out John Perkins' book, Confessions of an Economic Hitman. Quite an eye-opener...
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Ferretlover » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 20:30:38

Oh. my. gosh! When did all this happen?? Apparently, no-one at the World Bank is a PO member. :)
"Open the gates of hell!" ~Morgan Freeman's character in the movie, Olympus Has Fallen.
Ferretlover
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 20:50:09

mos6507 wrote:Care to elaborate? At what point should countries that have reached the level of Soylent Brown be expected to stand on their own two feet?

They are expected to conveniently die.
Ludi

Unread postby TWilliam » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 21:04:39

Ludi wrote:They are expected to conveniently die.

'Expectation' is irrelevant, Ludi. When enough people in the first world are feeling like third-worlders, they are not going to have the luxury, much less the ability, to do anything about what's happening in other countries. And they will be royally f*cking pissed (as they rightly should be) if their governments are sending 'aid' elsewhere while people at home starve.

You are very likely going to learn the hard way that charity and largesse, and the liberal idealism that drive them, are largely a product of surplus. When surplus no longer exists, people look out for themselves and their own first.

"Principles have little force, except when one is well fed." ~ Mark Twain
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby deMolay » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 21:17:10

If you add up all that is owed as debt, the amount is staggering. Some estimate that the EU debt alone is 25 Trillion dollars. I have seen some estimates of US debt of 100 Trillion. Then articles about derivatives collapsing with numbers like 700 Trillion. Add in world drought forecasts for this year. I can't see how western countries can feed the 3rd world anymore. Or supply aid as they have since the ww2. The Green Revolution of the USA fed the world for decades that window is now closing as well. In my opinion it looks like we will see a major die off starting most likely with the 3rd world.
"We Are All Travellers, From The Sweet Grass To The Packing House, From Birth To Death, We Wander Between The Two Eternities". An Old Cowboy.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Ludi » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 21:20:32

TWilliam wrote:You are very likely going to learn the hard way that charity and largesse, and the liberal idealism that drive them, are largely a product of surplus

No doubt. Just don't YOU come around here, because I will kick you in the balls, or shoot you. But I will by no means help you, TWilliam.

In other words, fuck off.
Ludi

Unread postby TWilliam » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 21:29:25

Ludi wrote:No doubt. Just don't YOU come around here, because I will kick you in the balls, or shoot you. But I will by no means help you, TWilliam.

In other words, fuck off.

Shoot all the messengers you like Ludi; It changes nothing. And you will eventually run out of bullets...
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby deMolay » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 22:04:19

Pretty harsh Ludi.
deMolay
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby TWilliam » Sun 08 Mar 2009, 23:52:31

deMolay wrote:Pretty harsh Ludi.

That's ok deMolay. Ludi thinks that because I would prefer to see certain groups of people --namely those that are most likely to be first ravaged or abandoned if/when societal collapse occurs-- compassionately euthanized rather than left to fend for themselves, that I'm therefore an evil bastard. Realists are frequently thought of as such by Idealists. I don't mind...
TWilliam
Expert
Expert

Unread postby hironegro » Mon 09 Mar 2009, 02:23:01

mos6507 wrote:

Care to elaborate? At what point should countries that have reached the level of Soylent Brown be expected to stand on their own two feet?

Hahaha, okay dude.
hironegro
Coal
Coal

Return to Economics & Finance