Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Liberty dollar taking hold in NYC

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Liberty dollar taking hold in NYC

Unread postby joewp » Tue 10 Mar 2009, 22:15:48

I noticed this in the local paper today:
With economy tanking, 'liberty' coins made of silver are paying off BY Matt Lysiak, DAILY NEWS WRITER, Tues, March 10th 2009, 1:16 AM:

Nicolas Leobald is fighting the federal government - one silver coin at a time.The 42-year-old East Village writer struck one of his mild-mannered political blows the other day at his favorite deli, where he bought some cold cuts and a roll, paying with a silver coin marked $10 and getting back three dollars in change.

That simple transaction could mean jail time for Leobald and the butcher. The coin, called a Liberty Dollar, is not legal tender and passing it is a federal crime. Libertarians, who are pushing the coins as an "inflation-proof" alternative to the greenback, call it a revolutionary act.

"It's about trying to take power away from the Federal Reserve and return it to private citizens," Leobald said. He says he spends his coins at Gray's Papaya, grocery stores, movie theaters and on taxis. "I use them all the time. People love Liberty Dollars," said Leobald, who has several hundred dollars' worth.

For years, those who obsessed about the Gold Standard and tried to pass so-called "private money" were considered fringe nutcases. With predictions of the dollar weakening and consumer fears of inflation strengthening, there is sudden new interest in alternative money - even in New York City. "I ask the merchants if they would rather be paid in green pieces of paper or real silver, and more often than not, they want the silver," said Karl Reile, 47, who says he spends Liberty Dollars on a daily basis at gas stations and restaurants. He said store owners almost always accept the pieces.

It looks like confidence in the dollar is waning right in the biggest city in the country. And without confidence, the Fed's confidence game can't go on very much longer. I don't know what's more earth-shattering, that this is happening in NYC or that the Daily News is reporting it!
Joe P. joeparente.com
"Only when the last tree is cut; only when the last river is polluted; only when the last fish is caught; only then will they realize that you cannot eat money." - Cree Indian Proverb
joewp
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Liberty dollar taking hold in NYC

Unread postby kpeavey » Tue 10 Mar 2009, 22:35:32

I'll trade a quart of maple syrup for one of those, no hesitation.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--for ever."
-George Orwell, 1984
_____

twenty centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, and what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
-George Yeats
kpeavey
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Micki » Tue 10 Mar 2009, 22:48:09

Great.
But whatever happened to the Ron Paul coins etc that were confiscated when the liberty dollar's offices were raided by the banking lakeys (i.e. police) ?
Micki

Unread postby ivanillich » Tue 10 Mar 2009, 23:01:08

Whatever. Who wouldn't take a coin marked ten dollars that they could sell for 20 on ebay? If anything it just shows that shop keepers would rather have 20 dollars than 10. Why isn't this guy still a fringe nutcase?
ivanillich
Wood
Wood

Unread postby Micki » Tue 10 Mar 2009, 23:28:53

ivanillich wrote:Whatever. Who wouldn't take a coin marked ten dollars that they could sell for 20 on ebay? If anything it just shows that shop keepers would rather have 20 dollars than 10. Why isn't this guy still a fringe nutcase?

But that is 10 Liberty dollars, which currently is same as $20 in federal reserve vapor notes.
i.e. it is a strong currency. You need to compare liberty dollar to US Dollar the same way you would for instance US Dollar to Australian or Zimbabwean dollar. They are not the same just becasue they have the word dollar.
Right? Wrong?
Micki

Unread postby Arsenal » Wed 11 Mar 2009, 09:10:22

Nice.

Micki. How high would the price of silver go if ONE country decided to go back to silver/gold as money? The price of silver plummeted when India finally stopped using silver as currency so the inverse applies, right?
If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied. T Jefferson
Arsenal
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby 3aidlillahi » Wed 11 Mar 2009, 10:52:05

Arsenal wrote:Nice.

Micki. How high would the price of silver go if ONE country decided to go back to silver/gold as money? The price of silver plummeted when India finally stopped using silver as currency so the inverse applies, right?

Exactly, so those of us who were smart enough to buy when it wasn't legal tender would then make a nice profit. :)

I think that a good bit of those that are gold/silver bugs want this to happen for the above reason. In the least, it's a nice motivator. But the overwhelming majority wants it because it would provide long-term stability to the currency markets. Although in the very long term, it causes problems due to industrial consumption of silver.
Riches are not from abundance of worldly goods, but from a contented mind.
3aidlillahi
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Cloud9 » Wed 11 Mar 2009, 12:17:28

According to a recent article in National Geographic, there is enough gold in the world to fill two Olympic size swimming pools. That is not much jingle for so many billions of pockets.
Cloud9
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby TireFire » Wed 11 Mar 2009, 14:41:55

ivanillich wrote:Whatever. Who wouldn't take a coin marked ten dollars that they could sell for 20 on ebay? If anything it just shows that shop keepers would rather have 20 dollars than 10. Why isn't this guy still a fringe nutcase?

waht if you take the 10$ coin, melt it and stamp it 1,000$.

Would that work?

Worth a try I guess.

Mexicans deal in alluminium - but the idea is the same though.
TireFire
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Micki » Wed 11 Mar 2009, 19:00:34

Arsenal wrote:Nice.

It should first of all result in that currency stabilizing VS other currencies. And it would appreciate in that currency when it is fixed as no nation has enough metal to fix anything at these price levels.
But how that ultimately affects Silver priced in other currencies depends on how much was taken out of circulation.
I.e. for instance if Vanuatu decided to peg their currency to Silver at a fixed rate and that resulted in 5 tonnes being taken out of the market, it might not do too much difference.

If US did it or Saudi Arabia etc. then it would have significant impact as more silver would be taken out not only by the central banks but by investors with fore knowledge (and that could create a stamped into metal even before announcement). Furthermore if a nation like SA did it it would put presure on other countries to follow suit. I am guessing also that it would be more of interest to SA to sell their oil in their own currency or in a backed currency than in a volatile/falling fiat.
Micki

Unread postby pup55 » Wed 11 Mar 2009, 20:02:56

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._S._G._Boggs

I am reminded of the above strange case, in which the artist "draws up" some beautifully designed "currency" and tries to exchange it for goods.

In this particular case, the "value" of the currency in "federal reserve notes" is actually greatly higher than the face value, so any of the lucky recipients can easily get some monetary value for it.

His works are on display in various museums, etc.

But this speaks to the heart of the question which is: What is money? Money is some means of exchanging some token, representative of something of value, for something useful. The Liberty Dollar actually represents an effort to do this outside of governmental channels, like the above case.

Unfortunately, the artist was arrested for drug possession in 2007 and apparently has yet to get to trial, so his particular case is one that you do not necessarily want to imitate....
pup55
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Pretorian » Wed 11 Mar 2009, 20:24:20

Cloud9 wrote:According to a recent article in National Geographic, there is enough gold in the world to fill two Olympic size swimming pools. That is not much jingle for so many billions of pockets.

there are 20 grams or so of gold per head, and majority of world's populace don't have that much to their name. Including Millions of Americans .
Pretorian
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby steam_cannon » Fri 22 Oct 2010, 11:47:18

(I decided to move this post here.)

Over the last few years I've noticed more "barter currencies" cropping up, much like the ill fated "Liberty dollar". The main difference is they they are not making any legal claim that they are "dollars". Links below.

Also direct bartering for goods and services is becoming more common. The US may not be facing collapse like the USSR just yet. Most people aren't trading goats for shoes. But I think the fact that bartering is becoming more common says a lot about how bad the economic environment has become.

Barter Coins made in both copper and silver:
ImageImageImageImage

An example of some rougher bullion:

Links:
* Ebay search "barter rounds"

* AOCS & Liberty Dollar Compared

* Archive copy of Liberty Dollar website before it was taken down by a court order.

* A list of alternative currencies operating in 2010
- The John Galt
- Free Lakota Bank
- Mises Institute
- Republic of Texas
- Boulder Gaians
- Andrew Jackson
- 2nd Amendment Silver
- Ron Paul's Campaign for Liberty
- Freedom's Phoenix
- Free State Project
- Go Local : : Buy Local
- Ag Trading Post
- Legalize It
- We the People Foundation
- The Spirit Medallion
- Candidate Currency
- Soto Nation of Turtle Island
- The Forgotten Founders
- Talk Radio Patriot
- We Surround Them
- The Dixie Dollar
- The NeoCoins

Bartering personal services on the rise
* Bartering is on the rise during economic downturn (2009)

* Bartering is on the rise, but finding the right match can be tricky (2009)

* No cash? No problem, if you barter(2008)
steam_cannon
Expert
Expert

Return to Economics & Finance